Scott Roberts

Joe Jr has landed!

On 3/12/2019 at 3:15 PM, pmillen said:

Well, ~52-cook average service life, that seems disproportionate.  Is it typical?  If not, have you figured out what's unique about yours?  Would a charcoal basket prevent it?

That’s not a bad shout any you recommend for the jr? I think at the design as it’s a solid piece wouldn’t surprise me if they change it like the classics into multi pieces to have led cracking chances. The dealer said it’s normal for them to see here in the uk. The fire rings are just as common.

On 3/12/2019 at 3:54 AM, Danwilderspin said:

Get ready to use that warranty on the fire boxes :-) I’m on my 6th in 3 years I do use it at least twice a week though

Wow!!  Goin on 2 years on my JR and I use it approx 4-5 times a week and have had 0 issues.   Guess I'm luckier than some.  Edit: I did have to clean the top vent a few times of gunk.

On 3/12/2019 at 3:47 PM, Scott Roberts said:

@ckreef I'm waiting to get my KAB on Friday and when that comes I can put everything together and start a cook-Pork Butt!!

Scott

You're making me a little jealous. They don't make a kickashbasket for the Primo Oval Jr and that bums me out a bit. I keep looking in all the BBQ isles for a Oval SS basket that will work. I've even bought and tried one. It was close but no cigar. 

Can't wait to see your pork butt cook. I've fed a group of 8 in the past by cooking a Boston butt on an Akorn Jr down at my sister's house on vacation. 

Go easy with the Jr and you shouldn't have issues with the fire box. 

2 minutes ago, ckreef said:

Go easy with the Jr and you shouldn't have issues with the fire box.

I plan to fellow the advise of a fellow guru and only shut down bottom vent and when temp drops below 350* then shut down top vent if cooking above 400*!

Scott

2 minutes ago, Scott Roberts said:

I plan to fellow the advise of a fellow guru and only shut down bottom vent and when temp drops below 350* then shut down top vent if cooking above 400*!

Scott

Sounds like a good plan. Also 700* at the dome is probably around 1200* down in the firebox. Those high dome temperatures are really hard on fireboxes. 

Dennis owner of Komodo Kamado posted infrared temperature pictures and it's pretty incredible how hot a firebox gets for a reasonably hot dome temperature. 

Still don’t get why I crack more than most - 90% of my cooks are low and slow 5% roasting 5% pizzas... so still no idea why They are going kj just said don’t worry about it. I do wonder if it’s a temperature thing. In the winter I was firing it up when it was -2c some days so it may not help.

i hope the make a multi piece firebox too...

where red do you get the kick ash jr bucket and Vent cap I want one

Still don’t get why I crack more than most - 90% of my cooks are low and slow 5% roasting 5% pizzas... so still no idea why They are going kj just said don’t worry about it. I do wonder if it’s a temperature thing. In the winter I was firing it up when it was -2c some days so it may not help.

i hope the make a multi piece firebox too...

also any idea why the new jrs don’t have the mesh gasket?

20 minutes ago, Danwilderspin said:

Got the KAB on Amazon for 72.00 for stainless steel, the non-stainless is 59.00 and got the stainless cap from Smokeware.com

Also the stainless KAB has a three year warranty  and the non-stainless doesn't have any!

Edited by Scott Roberts