John Setzler

How to light a fire and get HOT QUICKLY in a Ceramic Kamado

2 hours ago, dufchick said:

What is the purpose of covering the holes inside where the charcoal sits? Would this work with less charcoal or is this important too? This is an awesome lesson.  I tried to cook steaks once so far after work and it was super late by the time they were done and I wished there were flames and heat as shown in this video. I knew there had to be a trick to get super hot quickly!!

There is no purpose in that other than to have enough charcoal in the firebox to get a hot fire going quickly.  

This technique is just a basic technique.  There are other ways to do it if you want to get on the extreme side of things.  @BEER-N-BBQ by Larry mentions using a leaf blower.  The more airflow you can get going through your grill the faster it will get hot.  I personally prefer to not use forced air because it causes lump charcoal to spark and crackle more than it would on its own.  I get concerned about blowing sparks out of the top side of the grill.  

In MY case, I typically don't need a fire that big for my cooking.  I like to use the charcoal divider in the kamado joe and just get a hot fire going on one side of the grill.  I will most often use my charcoal chimney to start up the coals for that.  That takes about 15 to 20 minutes also but it's getting a raging fire going on a lot smaller quantity of coals.

7 hours ago, John Setzler said:

There is no purpose in that other than to have enough charcoal in the firebox to get a hot fire going quickly.  

OK Understood. I am going to try again but I do think I will skip the leaf blower. I have a fan I can use though, I get the idea. So great to get these lessons about using the Kamado!!

I have in a short time learned to use a fan that I use to keep mosquitoes

at bay to quick start my KJ. I angle mine at the bottom vent. It creates a vortex tornado in the Joe. You must then shut everything down or the lump will burn to ash in quick fashion.

Ben in N.C.

Just got my kamado (Lousiana Grills K24 from Costco).  To get it going fast, I light the coals, and hold a fan for a minute on high. Edit: I hold the fan over the open lid, blowing down on the coals at an angle, so as not to be directly above. I can set the fan on the shelf, angled down.

On 3/11/2019 at 7:16 PM, John Setzler said:

I still see a lot of newer kamado owners struggling to get HOT in an hurry.  This video shows you how to light up and get hot as fast as possible in a typical ceramic kamado grill.  I don't believe there is a faster way to do this that I would actually recommend.   You should be able to speed it up a little by possibly using 4 or maybe even 5 fire starters.  

rubbish. even the owners manual says leave the lid open for 10 minutes. i tried your method tonight and after 1 hour still not passed 300. 

40 minutes ago, chummley said:

rubbish. even the owners manual says leave the lid open for 10 minutes. i tried your method tonight and after 1 hour still not passed 300. 

How can it be rubbish?  I showed you in video how it works.  It works every time.  If it didnt' work for you, you did something differently.

5 hours ago, chummley said:

Yeh, I'd come on a forum with first post and call the owner/admin. a liar because you can't work anything but a gasser.:rofl:

7 hours ago, chummley said:

318 videos, conservatively 300 cooks that involve starting a Kamado. Yeah, what would he know:roll:

9 hours ago, chummley said:

#keeptrolling

I cooked some Kalua Pork from a member recipe and had enough charcoal left over to do a cleaning.  I started at 200 deg but did not start the video until 400 deg.  It got to 800+ in under 3 minutes.  Oh yeah, I used a giant fan to pump air into the bottom vent which I show at the end:)  You might want to FF.  The temp continued to climb after the video ended.

Anyone dared to try this method?:

My personal preference is to use the IKammand/CyberQ/Flame Boss with the temp sensor on the outside (ambient temp) which drives the fan at full speed and quickly gets the KJ up to a high temp.