Golf Griller

Quick question about jury duty

I just got a summons for jury duty. I will be on jury duty for four months beginning in May. This is going to make it hard for me to plan anything this summer. I'm curious what length of jury duty other states have.

I got a summons here for a grand jury that says a week but might be extended. I have served on one before and I think I was there 3 days but that was over 30 years ago. I have served on 3 or 4 regular juries over the years and have not been there over a week yet and usually 2 or 3 days. 

Four months? Yikes.

In Illinois it's determined by the individual county. C(r)ook, where I live, is one day/one trial. You go for the day, if you don't get picked you are free until the next time they pull your name. If you get picked, you sit on the jury until the case is done.

Many of the surrounding counties are a week, but for many you call each evening to see if you need to report to the courthouse the following day.

Never been called for federal jury duty, that might be different.

I wonder...is the term set by the state or by some more local subdivision.

In Omaha, Nebraska, we're called for one case.  We're done if we're excused by an attorney, otherwise we're there for the trial's duration.

EDIT:  Two replies posted while I was typing.  Amazing.

Edited by pmillen

Where I live in AZ, reg Jury duty is one day unless you are selected on a panel, then your there until your released or the duration. However, grand jury duty, I believe,  is 4 months with one day a week service, and Fed court service is one month if I remember, correctly. Since I have turned 70, neither the wife and I have been called in quite a while. I served on a double murder gang drive by  shooting case in Santa Ana Cali, that lasted almost 6 months. 

1 hour ago, Golf Griller said:

I just got a summons for jury duty. I will be on jury duty for four months beginning in May. This is going to make it hard for me to plan anything this summer. I'm curious what length of jury duty other states have.

That sounds like grand jury duty. As others said regular jury duty - criminal or civil - typically lasts less than a week and that's only if you make it through voir dire. In my county if you aren't called from the big pool at the end of the day your service is done until the next time you get called, about 18 months (although recently I got summoned after only a six-month gap.) 

I wouldn't mind being on a jury but our superior court is in downtown Atlanta and I am almost at the northernmost tip of the county; practically in the next county. A trip to the courthouse means leaving my home around 6:30 am to be there by 8. I don't want to think about doing that for grand jury duty. 

5 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Where I live in AZ, reg Jury duty is one day unless you are selected on a panel. However, grand jury duty is 4 months with one day a week service, and Fed court service is one month if I remember, correctly. Since I have turned 70, neither the wife and I have been called in quite a while. 

In some states age 70+ = exemption.

ETA: Never mind. In Yavapai County the cutoff age is 75. 

http://courts.yavapai.us/clerk/juror-information

As a follow-up, maximum days on a jury are 30. I do need to be available and call in to find out if they need me as a potential juror for four months.I am not a happy camper about having my summer totally disrupted and not being able to make any plans because I don't know when I may have to show up to possibly be a juror.

Last time I got called for jury duty (New York state court), it was phone-in, for four days. My number was not selected, so I did not have to appear in person. The time before that, I did have to appear in-person but was excused that day after voir dire. 

I received a questionnaire several years ago for federal jury duty but never received a summons to appear. 

The one I use is "I believe all drugs should be legalized", gets my butt tossed out real quick every time..

Just stand up and say it when they ask if anybody has any comments.

The lawyers and judge smile at me every time.

Ive only ever gotten pulled one time, and it was for federal grand whateverwhatever duty (this was in 2008). I had to call everyday for three weeks, and luckily never got pulled. The letter said that those that did would (not could, WOULD) be expected to be totally sequestered (in a hotel with no contact other than "i'm still alive mom and dad!") for something like 3 months. I had just graduated college, and just started a new job, so that was pretty stressful. After the 3 week call period I got a letter saying something to the effect of "thanks, it'll be a while til this happens to you again"

My wife however, has had to serve 4 times in the past 3 years, only one was more than a half day, and it was for four.

I'm sure the clerk will be mailing mine out today.

I think my county is pretty typical... Usually you recieve your summons for a particular week, have to call in each day during that week to see if you have to show up.  If you have to show up you sit for a day, and then may or may not be selected for a jury.  If you are selected, there is no telling how long you may serve.... I've heard of someone who was on a jury for 6 months recently.  However, I was so lucky (not) to be selected for my district's federal grand jury.... Which lasted 18 months.  It was every other Thursday for 18 months and a 2 hour drive each way for me.  I hated it the volume of cases and the level of how disturbing the cases were, but I'd pick it over being sequestered any day. 

10 hours ago, retfr8flyr said:

Just walk in with a "Hang em all and let God sort em out" tee shirt and you won't have to worry about being called upon.

What worked last time is the fact that I have a college buddy and my best man who was a deputy sheriff in Colorado. My wife's brother-in-law is a lawyer in Nebraska. I talk to them regularly.