John Setzler

Cheap Chinese Chamber Vacuum Sealer

20190313_ChamberSealer.jpg

I decided to roll some dice this week and gamble $350 on one of these cheap Chinese chamber vacuum sealers.  The specs on this sealer are very close to the same as the VacMaster VP210 that is priced anywhere between $850 and $1150 depending on where you look and who has it available.  

I have been vacuum sealing for a long time and this tool is the most used accessory item in my kitchen.  I use it for packaging and freezing leftovers as well as portioning larger quantities of various items I buy for future use.  These things make a far better vacuum and seal than any of the FoodSaver style devices.   They are also a lot cheaper to use in terms of bags as well.

I buy generic FoodSaver bags on Amazon and pay $20 for 100' of 11' wide rolls and $16 for 100' of 8" wide rolls.  That works out to $0.20 and $0.16 per 12" bag.  I can get 8x10, 8x12, and 10x13 bags for the chamber sealer for $0.08 each or less depending on the quantity.  I'm not gonna get rich saving money on bags but they are just a lot cheaper.  

I'm gonna make a video demo/review of this sometime in the next week or so.  There are no detailed demo/review videos in english on this unit on YouTube that I can find.  It's model number is dz-260 c and you can find some video content on YouTube but nothing as detailed as we would like to see when trying to make a purchase decision on something like this.  

The only thing I won't be able to do with this is seal large cuts of meat like full racks of ribs or brisket flats and butts... I can't do full racks of pork spares or whole brisket flats anyway and boston butts are usually too large when whole to put in a foodsaver bag.  I'll have more info on this soon...

Do any of you have chamber sealers?  If so, which models do you have and how do you like them?

3 hours ago, John Setzler said:

The only thing I won't be able to do with this is seal large cuts of meat like full racks of ribs or brisket flats and butts... I can't do full racks of pork spares or whole brisket flats anyway and boston butts are usually too large when whole to put in a foodsaver bag.  I'll have more info on this soon...

Do any of you have chamber sealers?  If so, which models do you have and how do you like them?

Foodsaver makes (made?, I got a bunch at an incredible deal) pleated rolls that expand out. The marketing showed a whole turkey in one. They do a decent job for large stuff, but too much of a PITA to use on anything that would fit in a normal bag.

My brother has the Vacmaster. Its a real beast, but I've been very unimpressed with the longevity of the bags/seals. I sealed a bunch of sliced bacon (about 10 one pound sets) and every one of them failed in the freezer in less than three months. I've got foodsaver knockoff bags that are over a year old and still holding up just fine.

The Vacmaster does a much better job handling "wet" food, but if the seal is unreliable it's not worth it to me.

4 hours ago, mbellot said:

Foodsaver makes (made?, I got a bunch at an incredible deal) pleated rolls that expand out. The marketing showed a whole turkey in one. They do a decent job for large stuff, but too much of a PITA to use on anything that would fit in a normal bag.

Yea I got in on that deal back then. I think it was buy 1 box (two rolls) and get 2 more boxes for free (three boxes being a case). There was a glitch in their website. You were only supposed to be able to get 1 case at that price but it allowed you to get 3 cases at that price. So I ordered the 3 case deal and Mrs skreef ordered another 3 cases. I've been using them ever since. I agree sort of a pain to use. You really need to add an extra 6 inches to the length you need. Sort of a waste but at the price we paid it doesn't bother me too much. I still have a case or 2 left - LOL 

6 hours ago, mbellot said:

My brother has the Vacmaster. Its a real beast, but I've been very unimpressed with the longevity of the bags/seals. I sealed a bunch of sliced bacon (about 10 one pound sets) and every one of them failed in the freezer in less than three months. I've got foodsaver knockoff bags that are over a year old and still holding up just fine.

The Vacmaster does a much better job handling "wet" food, but if the seal is unreliable it's not worth it to me.

I was unaware of these bags.  I will have to look into it.  I have not heard about these seals failing on the chamber sealers either.  Is it possible that thecseal time was set incorrectly for the bags being used?  I will investigate this with some firends who use chamber sealers and see if they are having similar problems.

Another question to ask is did the seal fail or were the bags punctured/damaged?  Some of the least expensive chamber seal bags are also quite thin and are easily damaged once frozen by contact with other frozen items if bounced around, stacked etc.  

This thing arrived today... I wasn't expecting to get it so quickly.  The pump oil I have ordered won't be here until tomorrow and the bags I ordered won't be here until Saturday.... 

Here's some first looks at it...

20190314_142627.jpg

20190314_142630.jpg

20190314_142812.jpg

20190314_142843.jpg

20190314_143104.jpg

20190314_143112.jpg

I bought a Vacmaster 215 a few months back. I love the dam thing. I use it a bunch. We have a foodsaver too but we hardly used it due to the expensive bags and the PIA factor. Although bags have come down in price as more competition has entered the market. I had one seal break on some chicken breast I froze. But that was probably user error. Correct seal time and making sure the bags are not wrinkled or wet when sealing is the key. 

Its a huge time saver and it saves freezer space as well. I think your going to love it John. Vacmaster is Chinese made too so I would guess that they share the same components. I saw the one you bought and thought about it. Price is good. I was just worried about support and parts. Which is why I went with the Vacmaster. 

Looking forward to your review. 

I'll be keeping taps on this thread also as I have lusted after a chamber sealer for a while. How much does this one weigh? I ask because counter space is limited and I would really rather keep it in the pantry instead of having to carry food to the basement and then back up to the freezer.

55 minutes ago, JB58 said:

I'll be keeping taps on this thread also as I have lusted after a chamber sealer for a while. How much does this one weigh? I ask because counter space is limited and I would really rather keep it in the pantry instead of having to carry food to the basement and then back up to the freezer.

The spec is 42lbs.