keeperovdeflame

Don't Kick your gasser to the curb!

While cooking dinner on my trusty Webber gasser,  on a beautiful evening after a busy day, I started thinking about this post.

IMG_0362.thumb.jpg.c02b432f3e0dccc8c7eb80429e837567.jpg

I selected the Weber to cook the evenings dinner, mostly out of convenience as I was tired and hungry and wanted a good but quick dinner for my wife and I. As I prepped dinner and began cooking on the Weber, I started thinking about how I was approaching the cook on the trusty gasser, actually came from how I have learned to cook on my Egg over the years. Temps, methods / techniques, confidence, all pretty much have come from cooking on the Egg and reading posts on KG. How I cook now, is quite a bit different from how I cooked on my first gas grill 40 years ago. The food that comes off my webber these days tastes pretty much like what I cook on the Egg, and while I very much prefer cooking on the Egg, the Weber definitely has it place. If you approach it's use correctly you can turn out just as amazing a dish as you can on your kamado. 

I started out with some asparagus and heirloom carrots dressed with olive oil garlic, herbs, sea salt and pepper in a little cast iron pan with holes in the bottom I found on the BBQ sale table at True Value. 

IMG_0363.thumb.jpg.a6bfbe68f3ebe651d14aa95d8390ad89.jpg

When I started out BBQing I never used pans or any kind of accessory, I also really didn't stagger my cooks based on what I was cooking and everything just went on the grate at the same time. The next component in the evenings dinner was a couple of salmon fillets cut to about 4oz each. 

IMG_0364.thumb.jpg.3ab053e22f470a9c1b5c9531d3455579.jpg

They got a quick sear over direct flame until they were nicely marked. When I started out cooking on a grill, pretty much everything came out over cooked and a bit dry. In the case of salmon, the FDA  recommends that it should be taken to 140 deg IT. However, an older guy named Andy taught me as he cooked some scallops that 120 deg is perfect for fish and other seafood, so thats what I do now. I made some honey mustard sauce I stole and  copied from a restaurant in town.

IMG_0365.thumb.jpg.7a538355d8257cb3c46bb3d3f86f6f7d.jpg

The salmons IT was at about 90 to 100 when I flipped it over, and brushed it with the mustard and honey mixture. I use Guldens spicy brown mustard and mesquite honey.  No measuring just mix the two components adding more of one and than the other until you like how it tastes. Any kind of glaze with natural sugars can burn easily so keep an eye on it and don't flip it face down. With heat it will form up harden up a bit to form a tacky crust. 

IMG_0366.thumb.jpg.dbc0665ba371d1e19b94621420a20ab8.jpg

I used to just pile stuff on  a plate, thinking you taste with your mouth so whats the difference in how it looks. However, after participating in a bunch of challenges on the forum, I have come to understand that a lot of what you taste starts with what you see. I made a little tomato and avocado salad with some slivered red onion, olive oil, balsamic, and  multicolored tomatoes to go with the asparagus and heirloom carrots. Arrange it all on the plate like I was setting up for a photo.

IMG_0368.thumb.jpg.dfb7dc7ef6a5e860e02a5bbf991d7089.jpg

Dinner is served. In closing thoughts:  My experience of  cooking  on a kamado, needing to understand using  fire and  air to create hot, warm, and less warm spots on the grill and how food reacts when cooking and all the little pieces of cooking knowledge I have picked up on KG, has made me a much different kind of backyard cook than I used to be. Once you learn how to cook over fire, I think you can turn out a great meal no matter what your cooking on. So don't be to quick to kick that gasser to the curb, it has it's place. 

Agree, cooking on multiple platforms improves our over all ability to create masterpieces....However, I use my two weber gassers to hold my accessories for my BGE and Weber performers.  HA!

What a great post and I can relate as my grilling expertise has followed a similar path as yours. I have not had a gasser in a few years, am preparing to buy a Webber 2 burner for that convenience you just mentioned. Also with my Big Joe I don't always want to spend the time or fuel when I just want a hot dog or hamburger for just me and the wife.

1 hour ago, buckleybj said:

am preparing to buy a Webber 2 burner for that convenience you just mentioned

1 hour ago, buckleybj said:

don't always want to spend the time or fuel when I just want a hot dog or hamburger for just me and the wife.

May I suggest a Weber Q1200 they come in six colors to choose from!

Scott

weber-portable-propane-grill-51080001-64_1000.thumb.jpg.1441bb1476342810daf063a1f76b3e36.jpg

Great post! 

We obviously enjoy our kamados, kamado cooking, talking about our kamados and our kamado cooking, buying stuff for our kamados, reading about kamados, looking at pictures of kamados, etc. They’re versatile tools that excel at lots of different things. But they are tools and sometimes the wrong one for the job at hand. Or just one alternative among other tools. 

9 minutes ago, Bgosnell151 said:

This post is awesome.  I haven’t used my gas grill more than once since getting my KJ other than for storage.  I fear that it may be beyond its cooking days with the inside paint peeling.  

That's more than likely creosote build up that will scrape right off. 

Good post and true for many of us. I think back to my first Weber gas grill and how terrible I was at grilling, making many of the same mistakes you pointed out. 

16 minutes ago, lunchman said:

Good post and true for many of us. I think back to my first Weber gas grill and how terrible I was at grilling, making many of the same mistakes you pointed out. 

That’s what I was thinking

1 hour ago, lunchman said:

Nah, don’t think this one is.  I’ll take a pic of it and post, but she’s in rough form for cooking... but outstanding storage form.  The spot is right in the middle of the lid and is about 4 inches in diameter.

17 hours ago, Scott Roberts said:

May I suggest a Weber Q1200 they come in six colors to choose from!

Scott

weber-portable-propane-grill-51080001-64_1000.thumb.jpg.1441bb1476342810daf063a1f76b3e36.jpg

Thanks Scott, I will definitely take this into consideration!

I will always have a gas grill. Always.

If I'm smoking something in the joe, and still need to cook hot dogs, burgers, etc? Gasser,

When having a huge group for things like thanksgiving, and I need to cook two turkeys? One is already spinning on the KJ, but I need to use the oven for sides? Spatchcocked turkey on the gasser!

Cooking a bunch of smoked chicken thighs on the KJ and I want to grill some veggies so I can have everything ready at once? and dont need to go inside and outside and inside and outside? Gasser.

When cooking a family pack of chicken for a weeks worth lunches, get home from work late on a monday, chicken is marinated in a bag, and I want to be done cooking completely in a half hour? GASSER

Buy a gas grill

On 3/14/2019 at 2:31 PM, keeperovdeflame said:

Once you learn how to cook over fire, I think you can turn out a great meal no matter what your cooking on. So don't be to quick to kick that gasser to the curb, it has it's place. 

Amen

The Q makes a great addition to cooks at the cabin.

IMG_1610.JPG

I started out on gas grills, and I still love cooking on them. For a quick weeknight dinner when you don't feel like messing with the kamado, to things my wife likes better over gas than charcoal, etc.  A gasser is great as  an outdoor oven when cooking lots of bacon. No mess in the house!