• Similar Content

• By tmc
      I thought I'd write a quick review of using the BBQ Guru Pit Viper fan and their Blaze Kamado adapter.

The adapter comes as two pieces, one for inside the grill and one for outside.
      There are two hex-head screws and wingnuts to cinch it down in the opening.
      It seems it's designed to go in from the inside, but I wanted to try to slip it in from the outside.

Here's my first attempt at that

This didn't work because the second bolt couldn't be pulled through the outer plate and cinched down.

Next I added jam nuts and washers (from my shop "spare parts bin," these are not included):

With those, I was able to insert the back plate and pull it through-- it was a tight fit with the bolts pressing against the Blaze's vent opening:

but it worked:

However, the front plate is not quite large enough and just barely covers the opening:

It did perform well with the fireboard and its motor control cable.
      Note that although the cable has a separate input for the motor power, the fireboard itself will drive it without that.
      I used an aux USB battery to keep the fireboard energized:

Hope this helps.  Would I buy it again?  Yes, but I wish BBQ Guru included the jam nuts and washers.  I also was surprised that the front plate just barely fit the opening.  It should be larger by about 5mm.

Tom

• By BigJoeOC
      I always build my fire and let the Big Joe stabilize at my target temperature before I let the iKamand take over. Anyone put in a fire cube get the coal hot then let the iKamand take over from there? I never do this because I'm afraid of overshooting my target temperature. Sure would be nice to light a starter cube then let the iKamand take control from there.
    • By Jkomodo
      Struggling with this one... I love using my Kamado for low & slow cooks however with two young kids I struggle to find the time.  I’m trying to determine the best approach for a “set it & forget it” option. I am looking to either purchase a temp controller such as an iKamand that I will have to figure out how to rig to my old school Kamado Co. or just bite the bullet and purchase a pellet smoker.  The way I see it, one of these controller’s is going to run me $250. Maybe I’m better off dropping another few hundred and getting a pellet set up considering the application will be primarily for low & slow smoking.   Any suggestions on the preferred option?  If you’re leaning towards the pellet smoker option, any recommendations?  My top 3 based solely on internet research is Rec Tec, Traeger and Grilla.  Thanks for your feedback! -J
    • By Daz
      Hi Everyone, it has been a while since my last post ( I think it was the pizza ring I made for the Akorn Kamado). Well, I finally get around to finish up the camper power box for our TempMaster controller. I found these 12V Li-ion battery packs from Amazon works great (6000 mAh for 10+ hrs) and can be charged with our AC adapter for the controller. The box now can hold the controller, battery, vent hose and 3 probes. I'll make a DIY blog on our website. It's Plano Ammo Box (Made in USA!) with cutouts on the side for hose and probes. Now you can do ribs in a weber go anywhere for 4-5 hours unattended. Let me know if you have any questions. Here in Hawaii there is no power at camp grounds, so I made this box with a 12v UPS backup battery in it to power the controller off grid. But I found I use it all the time even at home. The Lead Acid battery was heavier and required a car battery charger to charge so I didn't make it into a product. But now with the Li-ion battery this box can pack all the accessories, just grab 'n go! It's available on our website at BBQube.us
      Aloha and happy grilling!

• By khsBama
      Can more than one user (iPhone, iPad, etc) see and check on the status of the iKamand, through the app, at the same time?

For example; could the wife and myself keep tabs on whatever is cooking with our respective phones?

TIA