Jump to content

dathzo

Data-based thread for comparing the big temperature controllers: Fireboard, iKamand, Flame Boss, etc

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Daz said:

just went and read your charcoal comparison thread, impressive! 

 

TY Daz. I have a ways to go before that thread is complete but I'll get there slowly but surely. Can't wait until I get to the South American lumps at the end of the low-n-slow. A couple of them did really good with the 500* test and hopefully will be equally impressive with their low-n-slow performance. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ckreef said:

 

TY Daz. I have a ways to go before that thread is complete but I'll get there slowly but surely. Can't wait until I get to the South American lumps at the end of the low-n-slow. A couple of them did really good with the 500* test and hopefully will be equally impressive with their low-n-slow performance. 

 

your thread makes me wanna start burning through different type of lumps in my Akorn to make it smell differently...that "too familiar" smell needs some refreshment. It seems that every time I cook a brisket it'll smell like beef for daaaayz.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anybody is up and about here is a link to my live feed graph for tonight's overnight Boston butt. This is in the Primo Oval Jr using Fogo Marabu lump. This should continue until sometime tomorrow. Normally I would do this cook in my 19" Komodo Kamado but I wanted to test out this Oval Jr Go setup before I take it on vacation to my sister's house in a couple of weeks. 

 

It does take Marabu a bit longer to get get going but it finally got there. 

 

https://sharemycook.com/Cook/Detail/a90caf52-9bd6-48bf-8e1c-f7dfd5a5b8e9

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks ckreef, good stuff. I see temperature dropping after it became stable for a while. Are you using a controller on this one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So that was almost a disaster. Just before going to bed Mrs skreef was worried about the wires and the stupid cats. So like any bad husband I listened to her and started messing with the probe wires. Something happened and the pit probe stopped working correctly. It was giving a false low reading which caused the fan to stay on and not turn off. That would not do. 

 

Fortunately I had my ThermaQ dome probe going along with a ThermaQ meat probe inserted into the meat also. I turned off and removed the CyberQ setup and went old school. It's cruising along and I'll post the ThermaQ graphs once this is all over. 

 

@dathzo  I was attempting to use my CyberQ Cloud controller. See the above story.

 

@fbov I usually cook during the day but wanted this done mid day. Can't get mid day results starting in the morning.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, ckreef said:

So that was almost a disaster. Just before going to bed Mrs skreef was worried about the wires and the stupid cats. So like any bad husband I listened to her and started messing with the probe wires. Something happened and the pit probe stopped working correctly. It was giving a false low reading which caused the fan to stay on and not turn off. That would not do. 

 

Fortunately I had my ThermaQ dome probe going along with a ThermaQ meat probe inserted into the meat also. I turned off and removed the CyberQ setup and went old school. It's cruising along and I'll post the ThermaQ graphs once this is all over. 

 

@dathzo  I was attempting to use my CyberQ Cloud controller. See the above story.

 

@fbov I usually cook during the day but wanted this done mid day. Can't get mid day results starting in the morning.

 

 

Sorry to hear. I trust it will end up fine!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. What Kamado cooker you are using?

  • KJ Big Joe

2. What temperature controller do you have?

  • Flameboss 300 with universal fan

3. What are your vent and fan settings on your Kamado? (Pictures when available)

  • Currently do not use the fan because universal that I bought for my WSM 14. Found out the KJ fan is lower CFM and $50 extra. Pretty much use the FB300 as real time temperature sensor/data logger

4. Where do you place your ambient probe for temperature control? (Pictures when available)

  • On the grate for pit, but again not using fan.

5. At what point on your cook you let the controller to take over   N/A

6. Please share the graph from your temperature control with eventual fan output

  • Attached is what my graphs typically look like without use of the fan. Ignore the meat temps, because I was probably doing ribs so not much to poke in into. https://myflameboss.com/en/cooks/308878

7. What do you love about your controller?

  • Wifi and bluetooth enabled! Data logging feature is nice even if the site is a bit crap at times.

8. What would you improve about your controller?

  • Make the site less crap. Also had some issues with temp probes dying or reporting wild values right before their eventual death. Managing the wires is a bit of a hassle at times.

9. Anything else you want to share

  • I'm debating on picking up the Kamado fan for use with FB300. $50 isn't chump change and so far I've had a lot of of luck with the steadiness of temps in the Kamado. That said looking back at some of my graphs there were clear days where it wasn't stable and might have benefited from the PID fan than my manual control. Regardless I wont likely be buying another PID controller unit any time soon so the most likely upgrade will eventually be the fan. We'll see how it looks when my SloRoller arrives down the line. May not change much, but we'll see.

Also Daz... that controller is amazing! So much work, but such an amazing return!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, onemanlan said:

1. What Kamado cooker you are using?

  • KJ Big Joe

2. What temperature controller do you have?

  • Flameboss 300 with universal fan

3. What are your vent and fan settings on your Kamado? (Pictures when available)

  • Currently do not use the fan because universal that I bought for my WSM 14. Found out the KJ fan is lower CFM and $50 extra. Pretty much use the FB300 as real time temperature sensor/data logger

4. Where do you place your ambient probe for temperature control? (Pictures when available)

  • On the grate for pit, but again not using fan.

5. At what point on your cook you let the controller to take over   N/A

6. Please share the graph from your temperature control with eventual fan output

  • Attached is what my graphs typically look like without use of the fan. Ignore the meat temps, because I was probably doing ribs so not much to poke in into. https://myflameboss.com/en/cooks/308878

7. What do you love about your controller?

  • Wifi and bluetooth enabled! Data logging feature is nice even if the site is a bit crap at times.

8. What would you improve about your controller?

  • Make the site less crap. Also had some issues with temp probes dying or reporting wild values right before their eventual death. Managing the wires is a bit of a hassle at times.

9. Anything else you want to share

  • I'm debating on picking up the Kamado fan for use with FB300. $50 isn't chump change and so far I've had a lot of of luck with the steadiness of temps in the Kamado. That said looking back at some of my graphs there were clear days where it wasn't stable and might have benefited from the PID fan than my manual control. Regardless I wont likely be buying another PID controller unit any time soon so the most likely upgrade will eventually be the fan. We'll see how it looks when my SloRoller arrives down the line. May not change much, but we'll see.

Also Daz... that controller is amazing! So much work, but such an amazing return!

ha thanks! I read every line your complimented/complained about the controller hoping my next control can keep the pro's and fix the con's. 

when I was trying out different controllers, i really liked pitmasterIQ's flexible hose design with its built-in fan. Most of us own multiple grills and instead of buying multiple fans you can just buy the right adapters. I also found the use of battery box made switch control among grills a breeze, no need to drag a cord!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



  • Similar Content

    • By BigJoeOC
      I always build my fire and let the Big Joe stabilize at my target temperature before I let the iKamand take over. Anyone put in a fire cube get the coal hot then let the iKamand take over from there? I never do this because I'm afraid of overshooting my target temperature. Sure would be nice to light a starter cube then let the iKamand take control from there.
    • By Jkomodo
      Struggling with this one... I love using my Kamado for low & slow cooks however with two young kids I struggle to find the time.  I’m trying to determine the best approach for a “set it & forget it” option. I am looking to either purchase a temp controller such as an iKamand that I will have to figure out how to rig to my old school Kamado Co. or just bite the bullet and purchase a pellet smoker.  The way I see it, one of these controller’s is going to run me $250. Maybe I’m better off dropping another few hundred and getting a pellet set up considering the application will be primarily for low & slow smoking.   Any suggestions on the preferred option?  If you’re leaning towards the pellet smoker option, any recommendations?  My top 3 based solely on internet research is Rec Tec, Traeger and Grilla.  Thanks for your feedback! -J
    • By Daz
      Hi Everyone, it has been a while since my last post ( I think it was the pizza ring I made for the Akorn Kamado). Well, I finally get around to finish up the camper power box for our TempMaster controller. I found these 12V Li-ion battery packs from Amazon works great (6000 mAh for 10+ hrs) and can be charged with our AC adapter for the controller. The box now can hold the controller, battery, vent hose and 3 probes. I'll make a DIY blog on our website. It's Plano Ammo Box (Made in USA!) with cutouts on the side for hose and probes. Now you can do ribs in a weber go anywhere for 4-5 hours unattended. Let me know if you have any questions. Here in Hawaii there is no power at camp grounds, so I made this box with a 12v UPS backup battery in it to power the controller off grid. But I found I use it all the time even at home. The Lead Acid battery was heavier and required a car battery charger to charge so I didn't make it into a product. But now with the Li-ion battery this box can pack all the accessories, just grab 'n go! It's available on our website at BBQube.us
      Aloha and happy grilling!



    • By khsBama
      Can more than one user (iPhone, iPad, etc) see and check on the status of the iKamand, through the app, at the same time?
       
      For example; could the wife and myself keep tabs on whatever is cooking with our respective phones?
       
      TIA
    • By Hulk
      Hey gang, I recently received my iKamand, and it works great.  I’m not able to find anyone selling extra probes for the unit for slot 2 and 3.  Has anyone had any luck?
       
      Also, while I’m on the topic of iKamand, has anyone had success getting a DC to USB setup to work, so a cord doesn’t have to be drug across the patio?  The idea would be to use it with a usb battery back or something similar.
       
      I left some pics to get your mouths watering while I wait for a response.



×
×
  • Create New...