dathzo

Data-based thread for comparing the big temperature controllers: Fireboard, iKamand, Flame Boss, etc

12 minutes ago, Daz said:

just went and read your charcoal comparison thread, impressive! 

TY Daz. I have a ways to go before that thread is complete but I'll get there slowly but surely. Can't wait until I get to the South American lumps at the end of the low-n-slow. A couple of them did really good with the 500* test and hopefully will be equally impressive with their low-n-slow performance. 

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

TY Daz. I have a ways to go before that thread is complete but I'll get there slowly but surely. Can't wait until I get to the South American lumps at the end of the low-n-slow. A couple of them did really good with the 500* test and hopefully will be equally impressive with their low-n-slow performance. 

your thread makes me wanna start burning through different type of lumps in my Akorn to make it smell differently...that "too familiar" smell needs some refreshment. It seems that every time I cook a brisket it'll smell like beef for daaaayz.

If anybody is up and about here is a link to my live feed graph for tonight's overnight Boston butt. This is in the Primo Oval Jr using Fogo Marabu lump. This should continue until sometime tomorrow. Normally I would do this cook in my 19" Komodo Kamado but I wanted to test out this Oval Jr Go setup before I take it on vacation to my sister's house in a couple of weeks. 

It does take Marabu a bit longer to get get going but it finally got there. 

https://sharemycook.com/Cook/Detail/a90caf52-9bd6-48bf-8e1c-f7dfd5a5b8e9

Thanks ckreef, good stuff. I see temperature dropping after it became stable for a while. Are you using a controller on this one?

So that was almost a disaster. Just before going to bed Mrs skreef was worried about the wires and the stupid cats. So like any bad husband I listened to her and started messing with the probe wires. Something happened and the pit probe stopped working correctly. It was giving a false low reading which caused the fan to stay on and not turn off. That would not do. 

Fortunately I had my ThermaQ dome probe going along with a ThermaQ meat probe inserted into the meat also. I turned off and removed the CyberQ setup and went old school. It's cruising along and I'll post the ThermaQ graphs once this is all over. 

@dathzo  I was attempting to use my CyberQ Cloud controller. See the above story.

@fbov I usually cook during the day but wanted this done mid day. Can't get mid day results starting in the morning.

53 minutes ago, ckreef said:

So that was almost a disaster. Just before going to bed Mrs skreef was worried about the wires and the stupid cats. So like any bad husband I listened to her and started messing with the probe wires. Something happened and the pit probe stopped working correctly. It was giving a false low reading which caused the fan to stay on and not turn off. That would not do. 

Fortunately I had my ThermaQ dome probe going along with a ThermaQ meat probe inserted into the meat also. I turned off and removed the CyberQ setup and went old school. It's cruising along and I'll post the ThermaQ graphs once this is all over. 

@dathzo  I was attempting to use my CyberQ Cloud controller. See the above story.

@fbov I usually cook during the day but wanted this done mid day. Can't get mid day results starting in the morning.

Sorry to hear. I trust it will end up fine!

1. What Kamado cooker you are using?

• KJ Big Joe

2. What temperature controller do you have?

• Flameboss 300 with universal fan

3. What are your vent and fan settings on your Kamado? (Pictures when available)

• Currently do not use the fan because universal that I bought for my WSM 14. Found out the KJ fan is lower CFM and $50 extra. Pretty much use the FB300 as real time temperature sensor/data logger

4. Where do you place your ambient probe for temperature control? (Pictures when available)

• On the grate for pit, but again not using fan.

5. At what point on your cook you let the controller to take over   N/A

6. Please share the graph from your temperature control with eventual fan output

• Attached is what my graphs typically look like without use of the fan. Ignore the meat temps, because I was probably doing ribs so not much to poke in into. https://myflameboss.com/en/cooks/308878

7. What do you love about your controller?

• Wifi and bluetooth enabled! Data logging feature is nice even if the site is a bit crap at times.

8. What would you improve about your controller?

• Make the site less crap. Also had some issues with temp probes dying or reporting wild values right before their eventual death. Managing the wires is a bit of a hassle at times.

9. Anything else you want to share

• I'm debating on picking up the Kamado fan for use with FB300. $50 isn't chump change and so far I've had a lot of of luck with the steadiness of temps in the Kamado. That said looking back at some of my graphs there were clear days where it wasn't stable and might have benefited from the PID fan than my manual control. Regardless I wont likely be buying another PID controller unit any time soon so the most likely upgrade will eventually be the fan. We'll see how it looks when my SloRoller arrives down the line. May not change much, but we'll see.

Also Daz... that controller is amazing! So much work, but such an amazing return!

4 hours ago, onemanlan said:

1. What Kamado cooker you are using?

• KJ Big Joe

2. What temperature controller do you have?

• Flameboss 300 with universal fan

3. What are your vent and fan settings on your Kamado? (Pictures when available)

• Currently do not use the fan because universal that I bought for my WSM 14. Found out the KJ fan is lower CFM and $50 extra. Pretty much use the FB300 as real time temperature sensor/data logger

4. Where do you place your ambient probe for temperature control? (Pictures when available)

• On the grate for pit, but again not using fan.

5. At what point on your cook you let the controller to take over   N/A

6. Please share the graph from your temperature control with eventual fan output

• Attached is what my graphs typically look like without use of the fan. Ignore the meat temps, because I was probably doing ribs so not much to poke in into. https://myflameboss.com/en/cooks/308878

7. What do you love about your controller?

• Wifi and bluetooth enabled! Data logging feature is nice even if the site is a bit crap at times.

8. What would you improve about your controller?

• Make the site less crap. Also had some issues with temp probes dying or reporting wild values right before their eventual death. Managing the wires is a bit of a hassle at times.

9. Anything else you want to share

• I'm debating on picking up the Kamado fan for use with FB300. $50 isn't chump change and so far I've had a lot of of luck with the steadiness of temps in the Kamado. That said looking back at some of my graphs there were clear days where it wasn't stable and might have benefited from the PID fan than my manual control. Regardless I wont likely be buying another PID controller unit any time soon so the most likely upgrade will eventually be the fan. We'll see how it looks when my SloRoller arrives down the line. May not change much, but we'll see.

Also Daz... that controller is amazing! So much work, but such an amazing return!

ha thanks! I read every line your complimented/complained about the controller hoping my next control can keep the pro's and fix the con's. 

when I was trying out different controllers, i really liked pitmasterIQ's flexible hose design with its built-in fan. Most of us own multiple grills and instead of buying multiple fans you can just buy the right adapters. I also found the use of battery box made switch control among grills a breeze, no need to drag a cord!