Sign in to follow this  
O C

Pork Butt on new Traeger 575

Have my first butt prepped for going on the new Traeger very early tomorrow morning. I don't have any experience with this, so knock on wood pellets hope it goes well! Debating about wrapping in foil or paper (have both), will probably wing it as I often do :-)

Will post the finished pics tomorrow.

PorkButt20190316.thumb.jpg.6531172dae1bb41cdafd12f511677484.jpg

I love doing 165° super smoke (if an option) for 2 hours to start. 

Then 225° for 6 hours

then foil and up temp to 275 for 3-4 hours 

I have started doing my butts in a pan so I can keep the juices and use a fat seperator to get that good juice back into the meat.  

11 hours ago, O C said:

Have my first butt prepped for going on the new Traeger very early tomorrow morning. 

Ive got a couple going on to the Timberline 850 in a couple of minutes here 

3 hours ago, bosco said:

I love doing 165° super smoke (if an option) for 2 hours to start. 

Then 225° for 6 hours

then foil and up temp to 275 for 3-4 hours 

I have started doing my butts in a pan so I can keep the juices and use a fat seperator to get that good juice back into the meat.  

Similar process, same reason.   

Thanks for the advice!

Put it on at 3am. Encountering my first issue...which probe do I believe?

I've found the Traeger pit probe reads much higher than my Maverick when over 300°, but usually in agreement when running at 225°. And they both have been reading ~225. The Traeger seems to hold temp really well.

But the Traeger meat probe is reading 160° while the Maverick is 135°! May try to do a quick calibration check for both of them.

4 minutes ago, O C said:

Thanks for the advice!

Put it on at 3am. Encountering my first issue...which probe do I believe?

I've found the Traeger pit probe reads much higher than my Maverick when over 300°, but usually in agreement when running at 225°. And they both have been reading ~225. The Traeger seems to hold temp really well.

But the Traeger meat probe is reading 160° while the Maverick is 135°! May try to do a quick calibration check for both of them.

I am of no help.  I don’t use probes when cooking.  I try and stick with general times and use a thermapen when in doubt.  

Well I know which probe to believe. The Maverick reads 34° in ice water. The Traeger probe, 55°.

Butt temp confirmed with my Thermapen as well. I think there is a calibration adjustment option on the Traeger, I'll need to look for that.

@Bosco I just noticed your signature, you have both the 850 and 1300?! Nice!

38 minutes ago, O C said:

........I think there is a calibration adjustment option on the Traeger, I'll need to look for that 

Can you advise if you find this? I noticed a variance in mine as well.  Don’t use it often but I do use it.

Yesh man @bosco has grill addiction problems, think he has the Ranger as well. Prob has a 575 like yours too, messed up 

It was available from the menu on the controller on the grill, not the app. Settings, Probe, Prob Calibration. However, it still reads 20° higher than the Maverick, so there is also an offset setting that I may try.

20 minutes ago, O C said:

It was available from the menu on the controller on the grill, not the app. Settings, Probe, Prob Calibration. However, it still reads 20° higher than the Maverick, so there is also an offset setting that I may try.

Ok cool, I’ll check it out, let me know how you make out 

butts are on & super smoking away 

F50644DB-E74D-4ABD-9CB8-4CEC58624334.jpeg

3 hours ago, O C said:

Thsnk you, I just calibrated the Traeger probe using my thermo pen, took about 10 seconds and were dead accurate now! 

Dang this takes awhile! Glad I got up at 3am, but maybe could have started before I went to bed!

12 hours in, wrapped in butcher paper at 10 hours and bumped up to 275, probes reading 177. So some ways to go till 205?

Smells great though :)

7 hours ago, O C said:

Well I know which probe to believe. The Maverick reads 34° in ice water. The Traeger probe, 55°.

Butt temp confirmed with my Thermapen as well. I think there is a calibration adjustment option on the Traeger, I'll need to look for that.

I just added a pro 575 today.... and the ranger.  I have issues lol 

27 minutes ago, bosco said:

I just added a pro 575 today.... and the ranger.  I have issues lol 

Yes you do lol 

Isnt that 1300 more then you need

On the plus side you get the new controller with the 575