Sign in to follow this  
NickM

corned beef brisket (not pastrami)

So the family requested a more tender brisket style from the corned beef rather than a harder pastrami. This is my first time trying this and I want to make sure I have the general idea down. Advise, comments, and suggestions are appreciated. 

Right now I have a 4 pound corned beef from Costco in water to get rid of some of the salt. 1 water change per hour per pound. So, 4 hours in the water with a change every hour. Once I get that done, next is a good seasoning of primarily back pepper and coriander, plus other spices to taste. 

Tomorrow I'll get my Akron to 250, aided with some Hickory. 

Slow go the corned beef until the internal temp reaches 150. 

Double wrap the corned beef in tin foil and continue to cook until internal temp hits 205. 

A few questions: 1) I assume I'm using the heat deflector/cooking stone the whole time? 2) should I spray the corned beef with some water before I warp it in foil? 3) Does any of this sound "about right" or am I way off? 

Thanks for the time to help a newbie out. 

As mentioned, indirect  - use a heat deflector - through the entire cook. Spraying is optional and

I would put a little beef broth in with the meat when you foil it. The only thing which I see as "way off"

is me - about 2,000 miles. LOL! Sounds delicious. Enjoy!

I have done this, and I did 2 side by side, one with soaking and one without.  I honestly could barely tell a difference (I can't remember how long I soaked, but I know I changed the water atleast 2 times) I also don't believe I wrapped mine, but mine were points so they are more forgiving.  If you have flats I'd definitely wrap.  They turned out great.  I actually bought one so I can do it.... Maybe next weekend. 

Looks fantastic! I had planned on smoking one for St Patty's day as well, but slept in instead. :) Threw it in the MultiPot (Evil twin of the Instant Pot) along with potatoes, onions and carrots. Nothing like a smoked CB brisket, but good all the same.

Thank you all, it was great. My novice skills impressed myself.  

One more question if I may. 

Can I apply the same method to a regular brisket? Season/rub well. Use heat deflector/stone. Set temp to 250. Cook until 150/160. Then wrap in foil with a little bit of liquid. Place back in the egg that is at 250 and go until about it register at 205? Let rest in foil for about an hour, slice and enjoy. 

Again, thank you all for comments, it helps. 

11 minutes ago, NickM said:

Thank you all, it was great. My novice skills impressed myself.  

One more question if I may. 

Can I apply the same method to a regular brisket? Season/rub well. Use heat deflector/stone. Set temp to 250. Cook until 150/160. Then wrap in foil with a little bit of liquid. Place back in the egg that is at 250 and go until about it register at 205? Let rest in foil for about an hour, slice and enjoy. 

Again, thank you all for comments, it helps. 

Yep! Works the same way with a brisket. After it's wrapped you can crank up the temp to get it

done a little faster. I've done this and it works fine.

Tasty looking cook you did and glad it turned out well for you.

Well, it looked so good, I’m following your lead. I have a 4# cb flat on the grill looking for 250F. I didn’t have any hickory, so I’m using oak. Spices are pepper, coriander, garlic powder and rosemary. I hope it turns out close to yours!

My flat came out pretty good. Had middle daughter and her brood over for dinner and she told me it was the best corned beef she’d ever had. So, thanks for the idea of cooking it on the grill! I wouldn’t have tried it had I not seen your post.

B0F09700-07E5-44B9-A0B9-279C72951367.jpeg

3D7B1ACF-5E29-4EA1-9D55-D614FF7DB89E.jpeg