l2oBiN

A-maze-n pellet smoker keeps snuffing out in Kamado when Kamado lit?

I can’t seem to keep the pellets alight on the A-maze-N maze pellet smoker when the Kamado is lit (~250F). The pellets keep sniffing out. Any suggestions on what am I doing wrong? 

19 minutes ago, l2oBiN said:

I can’t seem to keep the pellets alight on the A-maze-N maze pellet smoker when the Kamado is lit (~250F). The pellets keep sniffing out. Any suggestions on what am I doing wrong? 

There is probably not enough airflow in a kamado that is running at 250f to keep them lit.  

The same vent opening on unlit Kamado allow for the maze smoker to function. Once the Kamado is lit, the maze smoker snuffs out. I am not sure whether airflow is a contributor... perhaps it’s the oxygen getting burned up as it comes through the Kamado  charcoal pit? I guess the cooking chamber should not have much oxygen? If this is true, how do I still enable the smokinng using the maze smoker? 

l2oBiN, as I read this thread, I wonder why you have a need for an ancillary smoke generator.  Do you not get the smoke flavor you prefer by adding smoke-wood chunks to your charcoal fire?

Do you prefer an especially strong smoke taste?

Edited by pmillen

1 hour ago, l2oBiN said:

It’s interesting because when the fire is not lit then there is no problem with sniffing out...???

The fire is also consuming most of the oxygen.  I'm also in the camp of why you would want to do this?  Are wood chunks or chips in the charcoal not giving you some smoke?

You have to have an extremely small fire to make this work -- like a briquet "ring of fire".  AND......the vents, both top & bottom have to be open at least 1/2 way.  I do a slow salmon/steelhead "smoke cook" this way using good quality briquets & a smoke tube.  The fish turns out like true smoked salmon without the brine & always gets eaten up quickly. Why this method?  A traditional kamado fire with lots of wood for smoke just does not get enough smoke for the fish to taste like true smoked salmon.  You need a "smoke generator" of some kind in addition. 

I've tried a couple of those ancillary smoke generators in a Bradley, a pellet pit and a home-made box; all in an attempt to cold smoke. They all made creosote laden white smoke.  We'd burp smoke for hours if we ate the product.  I gave all of them away to people who prefer that taste.

I don't have an argument with people who prefer stronger smoke taste than I do.  I may like more salt or whatever.  It's not wrong...it's just different.

Wood chunks are much more expensive and harder to get. Pellets are available in a multitude of woods. I have several 10 kg bags of several woods. I was under the impression that the maze smoker should work when the Kamado is lit, it would just burn faster...? Unfortunately it keeps sniffing out. I need to find a way to make it work... 

2 hours ago, l2oBiN said:

Wood chunks are much more expensive and harder to get. Pellets are available in a multitude of woods. I have several 10 kg bags of several woods. I was under the impression that the maze smoker should work when the Kamado is lit, it would just burn faster...? Unfortunately it keeps sniffing out. I need to find a way to make it work... 

I disagree my local lowes and home depot also walmart  have wood chunks and chips available at very reasonable prices  also there are many sites online where you can get the chunks as well at good prices 

13 hours ago, Stile 88 said:

I disagree my local lowes and home depot also walmart  have wood chunks and chips available at very reasonable prices  also there are many sites online where you can get the chunks as well at good prices 

You can also get some other smoking wood at reasonable prices that are not available locally, either in chunks, chips, or pellets.

On 3/22/2019 at 3:09 PM, l2oBiN said:

You’re competing for oxygen with your fire.  Kamado’s aren’t really designed to work with pellet mazes. 

Wood chunks should be cheaper than pellets on average. Where do you live that you’re having trouble finding wood chunks?