Red River Smoke

M Teixeira pizza soapstone

Review my experience so far with my new stone. I have been looking for a soapstone in the 16" range since last summer, but not terribly serious about it.  With the nicer weather coming I decided to order one from M Teixeira because they list a 16" stone and the one review said it was 3/4" thick.  There are a few places selling 13 inch stones, but I wanted this for double duty, pizza and to make smash burgers on, so I wanted a little more real estate when I'm cooking for more than two people at a time. I even called a couple of counter top makers looking for a sink cut out or something I could hack up myself but they didn't want to deal with me if I wasn't a contractor. Maybe I should have been a little more persistent.

M Teixeira are easy to find online, they have a decent website and ordering was fairly easy.  The next day I got an email saying that it had been sent, and the day after that I checked the tracking details.  The label was printed, but it didn't ship for a whole week, so I called and was told that it would ship that day.  I promptly got an email saying they had to cut  a stone for me and I recieved it two days later.  They were apologetic about the delay. 

2060040607_newstone.thumb.jpg.68acf8f4cb3e139512435afc717a717f.jpg

The new stone out of the box, nice light gray color.

width.thumb.jpg.47a21a54b9562fc5af56be7396dedb93.jpg

Instructions say to season it like cast iron, so here it is with a coat of oil before it goes into a 350 degree kamado.

thick.thumb.jpg.9555b21ebb82952ed969e810177fc47b.jpg

Wait a minute! Wasn't this supposed to be 3/4 inch??!?

Well, it never says that in the description on the website. You can order a 13 or 16 inch stone and it just describes it as thick, a review which I'm assuming is real says the one they got was 3/4 inch thick.  I didn't pay enough attention and I just assumed. So I sent an email to the company and got a response from R Teixeira saying that sometimes they cut them from 1/2 inch tile stock, he assured me that it would be durable (I still feel that it won't heat sync as well as a thicker stone) and if it failed to let them know and they would stand behind it. I will choose to believe them until I have reason not to. I plan to make some pizza on it Sunday night, but in the meantime I made some smash burgers last night, it was fairly non stick and it cooked the burgers well running the grill at about 500 degrees. 

smash.jpg.cd8c82f4879d0856ceb18ad4d781e95b.jpg

I need to invest in a couple of good flat spatulas now, I had a little trouble getting them to flatten out as much as I wanted, but still tasty!

I'm a little disappointed it took as long as it did to ship and that it wasn't as thick as I had in my head, but customer service has been very good when I reached out.  I would not call it cheap, but it's not that much more than the KJ half stone so if it holds up over time I will cautiously recommend this stone to someone that has similar wants as mine. 

width.jpg

Edited by Red River Smoke

Red River Smoke said, 

I need to invest in a couple of good flat spatulas now, I had a little trouble getting them to flatten out as much as I wanted, but still tasty!

In my experience any spatula, because of the way it is designed,  is going to come up short when given the chore of smashing burgers. They make a smash burger press which is a disc of steel about a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch thick and with a handle fitted to two upright posts attached to the top of the disc. the disc is just a bit bigger than your average good size burger.  Using this kind of press applies the maximum pressure to the burger and easily presses it down flat.  

https://www.amazon.com/Charcoal-Companion-7-Inch-Diameter-Grill/dp/B000M5NOI8/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=burger+grill+press&qid=1553383762&s=gateway&sr=8-4