kpkacts238

KJ Classic I - Top Vent and other tweaks necessary

I have a brand new KJ Classic I with the older cast iron Daisy wheel top vent (not the aluminum Kontrol Tower). Anyways, I had read reviews on the KJs vs the BGEs that KJs Daisy wheel top vent doesn't move around when you open the lid like the BGEs which causes you to have to readjust your vent every time you open and close the lid.

However, mine is very loose and moves all around when opening/closing lid. I investigated this and tried tightening the screw on the vent to prevent it however the screw can't be tightened further. So I removed the screw to look and it appears it is so loose because the actual hole on the cast iron part that fits over the screw hole is much larger than the diameter of the screw hole it is supposed to go over...

Curious if anyone else has had this issue and knows how to resolve so that the top vent stays in place where I set it at?

Also, are there any other recommend tweaks/tips you did to your new KJ? I already removed the thermometer to test how accurate it was and it was perfect right at 212 degrees when placed in boiling water.

Just now, BURGER MEISTER said:

My Jr also has the daisy wheel and it moved.   I put a split lock washer under the screw that controls the daisy and it stays In place now with the right amount of tension on the screw.

This may be what I need to do. It's aggravating for it to slide around on you.

Which screw are we talking about?

The one on the wheel or the one on the slider (for lack of better terms)? If the latter, you can avoid the slider from moving, slamming open, or slamming closed by rotating the base, i.e., the whole top assembly. Think of an imaginary line from the slider’s screw through the center of the slider. If you align that imaginary line perpendicular to the hinge or axis of rotation of the dome, the slider shouldn’t move due to gravity. Simple physics. 

10 hours ago, kpkacts238 said:

I have a brand new KJ Classic I with the older cast iron Daisy wheel top vent (not the aluminum Kontrol Tower). Anyways, I had read reviews on the KJs vs the BGEs that KJs Daisy wheel top vent doesn't move around when you open the lid like the BGEs which causes you to have to readjust your vent every time you open and close the lid.

However, mine is very loose and moves all around when opening/closing lid. I investigated this and tried tightening the screw on the vent to prevent it however the screw can't be tightened further. So I removed the screw to look and it appears it is so loose because the actual hole on the cast iron part that fits over the screw hole is much larger than the diameter of the screw hole it is supposed to go over...

Curious if anyone else has had this issue and knows how to resolve so that the top vent stays in place where I set it at?

Also, are there any other recommend tweaks/tips you did to your new KJ? I already removed the thermometer to test how accurate it was and it was perfect right at 212 degrees when placed in boiling water.

Here's an old thread on this subject

27 minutes ago, Chris Topher said:

Which screw are we talking about?

The one on the wheel or the one on the slider (for lack of better terms)? If the latter, you can avoid the slider from moving, slamming open, or slamming closed by rotating the base, i.e., the whole top assembly. Think of an imaginary line from the slider’s screw through the center of the slider. If you align that imaginary line perpendicular to the hinge or axis of rotation of the dome, the slider shouldn’t move due to gravity. Simple physics. 

It is the screw on the slider (the one where fully opened will expose the entire chimney hole of the grill). However actual Daisy wheel is loose as well.

I know this sounds silly but I'm a little OCD about stuff looking right and lining up. Like if I see a crooked picture frame or something that isn't symmetrical it drives me nuts... That being said, I would really prefer to leave the vent that has the Kamado Joe badge logo on the side of it lined up with the center of the grill.

Also, the wheel is so loose I think it would still move.