Hello! New owner of a Kikuya Hibachi Pot!

Kikuya

Hi everybody!

I just impulse purchased a vintage Kikuya "Hibachi Pot" from my local habitat restore. I Live in northern Maine and considered it a rare item to see up here, so I pounced! :lol:

I've been reading everything I can find here about the old clay cookers and think it's actually really well suited to my tastes...low and slow cooking. I don't actually own a bbq prior to this...just a small Thai clay cooker. And of course have had small cheap weber style units until they die of rust and am fine doing burgers and steaks in cast iron on the stove. But I am excited about doing whole slow roasted chicken in this cooker and perhaps some smoking.

It's in really good shape, not missing anything other than 2 feet which I don't need because it has a cart. Both firebox components are in good order as well. I will be getting a top gasket for it and am very interested in thermometer recommendations that don't require drilling into the dome.  I have read about the importance of not overheating so I want to get one before use.

So that's why I'm here. Hello and thanks, such a great forum!

I have 2 Kikuyas in my herd. An orange nr 3 and green nr 5. 

I'm originally from northern NH. On the naked Whiz's site he has portions of the original documentation/instructions. I have all the documentation for the Kikuyas. If interested let me know. Scanning these does not work well due to type of paper.

Good luck with your hibatchi pot.

BTW good source for clay kamado gouge and some spare parts is Augie Longo at Kamado King.

Hi Vanole, Thank you very much for the info! I did find those manuals, very useful. I would be interested in the documentation for them...I saw one page of something in another post...someone you acquire one in unused condition..but it was only a photo  one page.

kamado gouge...what is gouge please?

Thanks for all the greeting above!!

• 3 years later...

Hey!  I’m new to this site. I inherited a Kikuya hibachi from my dad. He brought it over from Japan in the 60s when he was in the USAF. I am enjoying the info everyone has shared. Two questions that I hope you can help with. 1. What do the numbers mean on the pots?  Mine is a #4. 
2. How can I get a new hinge mechanism?  The one on mine has rusted through. 

:welcome: Mr.D.  I think the number of the kamado refers to its size/model.  Another member more experienced with vintage kamados will have to help you with your other question.  

Hello Mr. D.

I believe a # 5 is equivalent to about a large green egg with an 18' grate, so I am thinking a #4 would be a bit smaller than that. The only place I am aware of that claims to have parts that fit antique kamados like yours is "Kamado King". The guy who owns it  (Augie), was involved in the commercial  import of kamados from Japan in the 60's and 70's. 

http://kamadobbq.com

If you go to the "About Us" section of the Kamado King web site, as Augie tells his story related to kamados, you will learn quite a bit about Japanese Kamados and how Kamados came to the US. There  is also a video on the About Us page in which Augie talks about the parts he offers, he has fire boxes, fire rings, grates and such that fit a # 5 Japanese kamado.  Hopefully he also has parts and  hinges that will fit  your #4 as well or maybe he know where to get them.   I would  give them a call, as  I really don't know of any other sources that may be able to give you the information or help you need. 

Hope this helps.