This is ridiculous, which classic do I buy?

Fishwater

I faced the same decision a few weeks ago... Classic I or Classic II from Lowes.  I went with the Classic I mostly because they had it in stock at the store.  The upgrades available on the II are certainly nice, but just didn't feel like they were worth (to me!) the extra $400.  I was sitting on an accumulation of about $500 in gift cards, so it really wouldn't have stung that bad either way. Was pleasantly surprised to find they were doing an 11% mail-in rebate when I got to the check out.

On a related note, this is my first-ever Kamado -- I've been trying to learn the art of smoking meat on my 20+ year old Weber Kettle for the last couple years.  When I made the decision to buy a Kamado I just assumed I would end up with a BGE; but that was before I learned about the Divide & Conquer system.  Plus, it was all in stock at Lowes.  Turned out to be the easiest decision I ever made.  I don't regret going Classic I in the least. 

On 4/7/2019 at 7:33 PM, Fishwater said:

Great analogy! I may need to make a decision sooner rather than later, tonight as I was moving the Akorn to grill some chicken it fell over damaging the face of the bowl & tweaking the hood. So upset that it happened, fortunately I was able to rivet the bowl back together & straighten it out so it closes ok but it isn’t sitting on the gasket properly now. It’s definitely not right but still usable at least. Looks like I may need to figure out which F-150 to buy....

Yeah it just fell over right.......we all know you pushed it so you could say " see honey now we really need a new grill" :mrgreen:

On 4/11/2019 at 8:13 PM, JB58 said:

Yeah it just fell over right.......we all know you pushed it so you could say " see honey now we really need a new grill" :mrgreen:

Ha! At first I did think that but then I realized, wait, this is going to cost me some money now! So far I’m still using it as is but every time I close the lid it bothers me, I’ll probably need to make a decision soon. 

On 4/16/2019 at 7:56 AM, Fishwater said:

Ha! At first I did think that but then I realized, wait, this is going to cost me some money now! So far I’m still using it as is but every time I close the lid it bothers me, I’ll probably need to make a decision soon. 

I have a Akorn about 3 years old. It’s been a great grill for smoking or grilling burgers. 

But now the bottom where the ash pan goes on is rusting through. I keep a cover on all the time. But it’s metal. 

I’m in the same boat as you. Should I get the 2 or 3. Can’t make up my mind. 

About 400 difference in price. Not sure what I’m doing. Plus as you I’m grilling a lot more than smoking. But once you use a Kamado your hooked.