First cook on new Louisiana Grills 24" (Pit Boss)

Testing out the new cooker today.  Going pretty well so far!  I've had a Weber Smokey Mountain for about 4 years now and had to modify it a little, but even with that fought temperature issues more than I wanted.  I noticed with the new LG I have that there is a tiny bit of smoke coming out of the bottom of the top vent where it connects to the ceramic lid.  I have some leftover nomex from my WSM, I'm wondering if it may be a good idea to take that top vent off and put a loop of nomex around the base before reattaching the vent?

Also noticed there is a smaller metallic bottom vent that has some drill holes, seems like it is to be used for more fine tuned temperature control, versus say just leaving the entire vent open 10%.  The doesn't show anything about using that inner vent slider at all, just wondering if anyone has experience with using that versus just forgetting that is even there.  I also noticed a tiny bit of condensation at the bottom of that metallic vent as it has been running this morning, not sure if that is normal or a sign of something else that may need plugged up?

So far it is held pretty well, it seems to jump around about +/- 4 degrees with slight modifications.  Nothing drastic like my WSM so I'm not babysitting it, but enough that I don't feel like I can just walk away for a few hours without checking.

Looks like you are using the deflector the wrong way for smoking. Legs should be up, not down.

It's the same grill as the Pit Boss. Check out the messages about it, most of us have added extra felt under the top vent due to the leaks.

Looking good! You can also replace the felt with fiberglass sealing tubes. They last longer and provide better seal. You can find them on Amazon or eBay. KJ and BGE are all considering using the tubes for their grills. I just learned that at the HPBExpo in Dallas this year.

But talking about temp swing in WSM, a simple temperature controller will make it more stable than your kitchen oven. It puzzles me that guys will spend $99 on an iGrill thermometer but won't spend another $70 more to get a controller instead. 

14 hours ago, Daz said:

Looking good! You can also replace the felt with fiberglass sealing tubes. They last longer and provide better seal. You can find them on Amazon or eBay. KJ and BGE are all considering using the tubes for their grills. I just learned that at the HPBExpo in Dallas this year.

But talking about temp swing in WSM, a simple temperature controller will make it more stable than your kitchen oven. It puzzles me that guys will spend $99 on an iGrill thermometer but won't spend another $70 more to get a controller instead. 

i had some left over nomex i put on the base of the vent hole around the felt that was already there.  seems to be super snug now, i actually had to kind of mess with it to get the vent cover to fit over.  do you recommend any specific controllers?  i did a brief search and everything was coming up more in the $200+ range.

11 hours ago, bonzovt said:

i had some left over nomex i put on the base of the vent hole around the felt that was already there.  seems to be super snug now, i actually had to kind of mess with it to get the vent cover to fit over.  do you recommend any specific controllers?  i did a brief search and everything was coming up more in the $200+ range.

Yes I sure do! That'd be the one I made haha.

The Grand TempMaster Pro on BBQube.us

I ripped off the old felt and replaced it w/ Nomex. All Akorn kamado comes with Nomex. But I applied thin felt tape on all my weber grills and that made a difference in these leaky grills.

BBQ-QUBE-WEBKT-thumbnail1.jpg