Sign in to follow this  
CarolinaCooker

Pork Belly Question

Hey y'all,

I'm planning on trying pork belly burnt ends for the first time tomorrow and have a question about the belly I bought from Costco. Didn't have much luck finding belly anywhere else so I bought what Costco had, which is belly that is sliced what looks to be like 1/2" by 1.5" strips. My question is, should I try to somehow put multiple slices together to get make ~1.5" cubes, or should I just smoke them at the 1/2" thickness? I figure I could hold them together with a toothpick. Thanks for any suggestions. 

I don't think you'll have any success trying to stick them back together. I would just follow your burnt ends recipe as whole slices knowing it won't be what you'd planned but will still be delicious. Or just fry them in a pan and wait to get an unsliced belly another time. Or look up some Korean recipes.

I went ahead and tried the tooth pick trick and it worked pretty well. Figured I wouldn't have anything to lose at that point except the aggravation of doing it but they stuck together fine. Just was a little careful while moving them around. 

I smoke the strips first, til they're almost ready (about 170~180f) then put them into an open skillet with dry rubs. cover w/ foil last hour. I can get top grade pork belly from Japan here in Oahu. One of my favorite smoking meat. You can also slice them super thin with a slicer and make BBQ pork belly musubi 

On 3/31/2019 at 11:30 PM, CarolinaCooker said:

Hey y'all,

I'm planning on trying pork belly burnt ends for the first time tomorrow and have a question about the belly I bought from Costco. Didn't have much luck finding belly anywhere else so I bought what Costco had, which is belly that is sliced what looks to be like 1/2" by 1.5" strips. My question is, should I try to somehow put multiple slices together to get make ~1.5" cubes, or should I just smoke them at the 1/2" thickness? I figure I could hold them together with a toothpick. Thanks for any suggestions. 

Pro tip:  Ask someone behind the meat counter at Costco for whole pork belly.  They will sell you a whole one if you ask for it.

2 hours ago, John Setzler said:

Pro tip:  Ask someone behind the meat counter at Costco for whole pork belly.  They will sell you a whole one if you ask for it.

If you don't see whole belly in the fridge cases but you do see sliced belly ready to be turned into bacon...that's your sign.

Yup, can confirm, even at Costco in Canada. They just started selling sliced in all the Costcos in my area (who buys sliced anyways?), so I asked a kid stocking the meat bunkers and he pointed me to a manager behind the glass. He held up a whole belly, was about 13lbs.