Primo Round Kamado

So after a few uses with new to me Primo Round... my thoughts after being a Primo Oval Jr as my daily driver for 3 years.

KJ Flexible Cooking Rack & Deflectors are now in place. Still need to get the 1/2 moon grates. 

First impressions... 

a) Now I know why the Kick Ash Basket is so popular for typical 18" round Kamado. Comparing the Round vs the Oval Jr, It feels like the Grand canyon as far as filling charcoal in the firebox.

b) With the tall/deep firebox getting to hot temps seems more difficult than my Primo Junior as airflow does not seem as good with the narrow bottom and minimal air vents.  The bottom of the firebox on the Junior is actually larger.

c) Similarly, in cold weather. Getting the Cooker to heat seams to be much quicker on my Oval Junior. Airflow and less ceramic likely being the cause

d) To my wife's dismay, I think both cookers are staying in the stable. I cant see replacing the Junior entirely with the Round.  The Round will likely be my go to for Long low and slow cooks, bigger roasts, turkey's etc. For day to day, Primo Junior so far is a better experience. 

@luebri kind of agree with you concerning better experience. I had 5 BGE's before I bought the Oval XL. The Oval over the past 18 months has been the heavy lifter in the herd. Just more versatile and cooking a grunch of packer briskets helped skew the usage.

I have not had issues getting the temps up with the BGE's or Oval however I have never timed them either.

Glad you are like both cookers.

• 5 months later...

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here.

I just bought a round from a buddy, whose uncle passed. They asked $100, and I couldn't pass on it. Only used once or twice. 

I am not sure which internal things to use when. It seems that Primo has a million videos and pages about the ov, but not much about the round. 

One more - there is a round stoneware part that says "Primo Pizza" on it, but is not ceramic covered like the ones in the videos. Is it for pizza?

Thanks!

On 3/28/2021 at 9:22 AM, Djfan said:

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here.

I just bought a round from a buddy, whose uncle passed. They asked $100, and I couldn't pass on it. Only used once or twice. 

I am not sure which internal things to use when. It seems that Primo has a million videos and pages about the ov, but not much about the round. 

One more - there is a round stoneware part that says "Primo Pizza" on it, but is not ceramic covered like the ones in the videos. Is it for pizza?

Thanks!

Welcome to the Guru.  It's a porcelain covered ceramic pizza stone if I recall correctly.  Firebox is always used as is the Charcoal grate, unless you have a Charcoal basket for it such as a KAB.  No deflectors if you want to grill direct.  Deflectors if you want to do low-n-slow or indirect cooking.  Pictures of other components you are inquiring about would be helpful.