13 hours ago, HoserJoe said:

Why are you hating on the Capn?  Not sure we can be friends.

#youprobablylikedgrapenuts

@HoserJoe

DOOD

the Capn is THE pinnacle breakfast cereal of CHAMPIONS...

I would NEVER hate on the Capn...

Froot Loops, and fuity pebbles are the only other ones worth eating

5 hours ago, Mr Cue said:

I’m a food snob in general, I guess. Rarely do I leave a restaurant not feeling that it could have been done better at home or they were missing something. Usually, we don’t eat at bbq restaurants anymore because it’s just disappointing. I get it, it’s tough to make a day’s worth of bbq and keep it “fresh”, it’s gonna dry out. That being said, we finally tried a Famous Dave’s in Chattanooga, Tn on our way home from Atlanta and I must admit that I was mildly impressed. While the pulled pork was a touch dry and the brisket tasted like they’d smoked a corned beef brisket instead, I thought the ribs and chicken were above average for restaurant ‘que, especially a chain. 

I have not had Famous Dave's, but i have had Willie Jewell's (apparently an import from FL) and its pretty dern good... Dickeys was fair to mediocre, and theres one in Acworth (JDs) that is also quite good

the only 2 BBQ restaurants i will visit are WJs and JDs

I live in the heart of BBQ country and have pretty much stopped going out for BBQ.  The problems with the restaurants are:

• Having to cook a lot of it, so quality diminishes as portions increase.
  • Food finishes and then sits.  Ribs are particularly bad if they sit for a while.
  • Quality control - one day my food is phenomenal, next day I swear I'm never going back.

Thanks to the internet, I can cook most meals better than what I get eating out.  Exceptions are fried foods (don't have a big fryer) and exotic foods like Asian and Indian, although I'm getting somewhat handy with those dishes, I don't know if I will ever master them.

Just now, moloch16 said:

I live in the heart of BBQ country and have pretty much stopped going out for BBQ.  The problems with the restaurants are:

• Having to cook a lot of it, so quality diminishes as portions increase.
  • Food finishes and then sits.  Ribs are particularly bad if they sit for a while.
  • Quality control - one day my food is phenomenal, next day I swear I'm never going back.

Thanks to the internet, I can cook most meals better than what I get eating out.  Exceptions are fried foods (don't have a big fryer) and exotic foods like Asian and Indian, although I'm getting somewhat handy with those dishes, I don't know if I will ever master them.

Quantity definitely impacts overall quality. Any sort of chain establishment is going to suffer that. I find that the best "going out" BBQ around here is from smaller establishments. One place near here has pecan smoked wings that I know I will never be able to replicate, and that's ok, because their hushpuppies, fries, brisket reuben, etc are all 8/10, and its not super expensive either. There is a small local chain here that people absolutely fawn over, and i'm disappointed every time.

I cannot recommend places like Serious Eats enough. They do some stellar work over there, Gritzer, Stella, Kenji etc etc make some amazing, detailed and well researched recipes. I never thought I could make a decent plate of Indian food, until:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/05/easy-butter-paneer-spinach-recipe.html

If you're into food at all, and want to learn more, buy these:
https://www.amazon.com/Food-Lab-Cooking-Through-Science/dp/0393081087/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1Y8ULGQWCWG2P&keywords=the+food+lab+by+j.+kenji+lopez-alt&qid=1554465864&s=gateway&sprefix=the+food+lab%2Caps%2C530&sr=8-1

and for baking (this book is worth it for the brown butter chocolate chip cookie recipe alone)

https://www.amazon.com/BraveTart-American-Desserts-Stella-Parks/dp/0393239861/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3P7W44D7XYVAG&keywords=bravetart+cookbook&qid=1554465906&s=gateway&sprefix=braveta%2Caps%2C128&sr=8-1

and from Our Lord and Savior Alton Brown, Praise Be Upon Him:

https://www.amazon.com/Alton-Brown-EveryDayCook/dp/1101885718/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1179Y70QW2JEQ&keywords=everyday+cook+alton+brown&qid=1554465945&s=gateway&sprefix=everyday+cook%2Caps%2C140&sr=8-1

Agree with all the points above , plus my major issue is HYGIENE (conditions or practices conducive to maintaining health and preventing disease, especially through cleanliness)

I was my hands...Constantly. 

I enjoy the therapy of cooking the meals.  My wife is lucky...I gather, I prep, I cook, I clean. 

My go to books, site is https://amazingribs.com

Yes I am a Food Snob but I love food and like trying new places.

I tend to analyze the food I am tasting to see how they did it and could I duplicate it in my cooking.

I tend to go to Mom and Pop restaurants any more as they put more love into their food .

I agree with alot that has been stated already .

Woody

44 minutes ago, smittydog27 said:

Agree with all the points above , plus my major issue is HYGIENE (conditions or practices conducive to maintaining health and preventing disease, especially through cleanliness)

I was my hands...Constantly. 

I enjoy the therapy of cooking the meals.  My wife is lucky...I gather, I prep, I cook, I clean. 

My go to books, site is https://amazingribs.com

@smittydog27...

I am right there with ya!

I wash my hands all the time as well, and I also revere amazingribs as my go-to for ideas/techniques... I have used so many of those ideas with much success...

In fact, I use his smoked turkey and prime rib recipes every year for our holiday gorge-fests... both are met with much praise...

only difference in your method and mine is the cook/clean part...

the rule in our home is:

S/He who cooks, does NOT clean...

unless we ALL cook, then we all clean together and try do it as we go so we don't have as much at the end... also makes it easier to make up doggie bags for the chirrens

@KJTerp...

thanks for the list of sites! I will be checking those out this weekend...

asian food might be a new avenue for me to try

1 hour ago, moloch16 said:

This is my biggest problem with many local eating establishments. There's little - to no - consistency in the products they offer. It's like whoever is running the kitchen, at any given time, brings their own recipes.
Another thing that I notice, is when a new restaurant opens locally ( a big deal in a small town), they appear to use the best quality ingredients initially and eventually start settling for lower quality. 
That's why I do more and more cooking at home...

There are entire categories of restaurants we will not bother with anymore because we can destroy them at home in cost and quality, usually without a lot of work. The most obvious example is the steakhouse. 

There are also categories where either through sheer variety, complexity, or some other high base cost that we cannot compete with. These include sushi, many Asian and Indian themed restaurants (we can make any one or two of these dishes on offer, but we can go to a restaurant and order ten small dishes), and taco stands (I don't understand why but I just can't hang). 

The border cases are the things we can do just as well but others do differently or allow us to totally kick back. Tonight, we are going to a yakitori restaurant. Can I beat it? Yup. Am I going to put that aside and have a totally relaxed time with my spouse and our friends and enjoy myself? Yup. 

I have tiny kids, so for family dinners, "ambiance" is out the window for now. One of our favorite places to eat out right now is a Mexican place with plastic on the booths, HIGH walls between booths, and a mariachi band. I can more or less look at my older kid and say, "enjoy yourself and do your worst". This also serves a purpose, but it would never be a "date night" place. 

The area where I realize I am getting really "snobby" is ingredient sourcing. I could go to an average nice grocery store and up my nose at every piece of beef on offer. I am totally and happily spoiled by whole beef buys, primal cuts from RD and Costco, and our local butcher and fishmonger. During the sunny months, we grow a lot of food which spoils me for the rest of the year. 

3 hours ago, gotzero said:

During the sunny months, we grow a lot of food which spoils me for the rest of the year. 

Amen to that. I get legitimately upset with my wife if she wastes money on tomatoes from the grocery store, except cherry tomatoes, theyre ok.

I haven't willingly gone to a steakhouse in 10 years, and havent paid for a meal in one ever.

There is so much that i agree with here. I am a snob and proud of it but, probably, just more discerning. @Chris Topher really hit the mark for me. I can not only tell good ingredients, I can tell when the restaurant changes vendors or goes for cheaper options. My family loves Texas Roadhouse and EVERYTHING there tastes like it comes out of the can to me. I refuse to go back. I also hate sauces- at least put it on the side but, then after tasting, I realize why they had to cover it in sauce.

@Mr Cueand @TexasBlues, miles vary greatly with Famouse Dave's in general and even on subsequent visits to the same location. On my trip to El Paso a few months ago, my daughter and I had the best Famous Dave's experience I had ever had- head and shoulders above any other location I had been to. I was excited about Dickey's- Texas BBQ chain coming to my city and all. Then I ordered brisket and they handed me a chunk of chopped mess. No one expects to recieve chopped when ordering brisket. Had that happen at a Famous Dave's. Also, a good restaurant imo gives the choice of fatty or lean. The sides at Dickey's were totally unspectacular– with perhaps the exception of the fried okra. Mediocre defintely sums it up.

There is a Mission BBQ which opened here a few weeks ago that I enjoy. Perhaps too slight of a smoke profile for me but everything, including sides were well prepared. There are two other very high quality non chain BBQ restaurants here: Pontiac, which has been slipping of late, and Lucious Q's. @moloch16 and @Catsn'doos, the good restaurants find a way to keep quality control as the quantities increase- that's what separates the Snow's, Franklin's, or your favorite shack from the rest. And, imo, offer the sauce as an option. If the meat can't speak for itself, i won't speak for it.

In my own cooking, I have always been creative and therefore highly suspect of using anyone else's rubs. I trust my own palate and instincts. I will invite everyone over and cook for everyone- all are welcome. However, my recipes change for no one. Everything starts with either coarse sea or koasher salt and coarse black pepper and it may or may not receive any other spice in addition. I do not sauce. I do not adjust for tastes. I am unapologetic about the level of spice OR of smoke. And I convert the overwhelming number of people who will eat it. I have always been creative and therefore highly suspect of using anyone else's rubs. 

Edited by CentralTexBBQ

Interesting thread and I agree with all that has been posted. I never thought of us as
food snobs - actually never thought about it at all till it was mentioned, I do think that
we have become a lot more critical of what we consume. Preparing the food we
eat is not only fun but also educational. So many recipes and so little time. LOL!
Controlling what we eat and how it is prepared is a great advantage over going out
for a meal. Besides the advantages listed in threads above regarding home cooking,  
it’s really nice to be a able to enjoy a martini or two while grilling and not worry about
driving home after having a drink. The meals are generally cheaper than going
out and we usually cook enough to have a few leftovers for breakfast or lunch the
next day. And, with all due respect to Cap’n Crunch, I do prefer a fish taco, brisket

or pulled pork sandwich for breakfast. LOL! I also like the dress code for cooking at

home - T-shirts, shorts and flip flops for the better part of the year.

When eating out, I try to appreciate all the work I'm not doing in the kitchen, and then order whatever they serve that's better than I can make at home. I admit, however, it's been a long time since I ordered pulled pork or brisket.  

Have fun,

Frank

Edited by fbov

I ate chopped pork at a BBQ place in NC last night and it was incredibly bland, no smoke taste at all. Forces you to douse it with tons of sauce. Hush puppies were good though.

But I'm like most here, when I eat out (which is seldom) I order entrees I don't cook at home myself. I've yet to eat BBQ, steak, pizza etc. out that's better than what I can cook myself. Well, very seldom anyway. 

On 4/5/2019 at 8:06 AM, KJTerp said:

One place near here has pecan smoked wings that I know I will never be able to replicate, 

I would never ever admit this... :rofl:

Anything good enough to garner my attention is good enough for me to replicate. I am going to put my tongue to work and break down the ingredient list.