On 4/5/2019 at 8:06 AM, KJTerp said:

One place near here has pecan smoked wings that I know I will never be able to replicate

You have a start. The smoke wood is pecan, now you just need to try to replicate the spices -- rub, sauce -- used for the wings.

Living in Texas for six years spoiled me more than any kamado could. Having moved back to Maryland, the amount of cheating was staggering. Brisket that was pre-sliced and soaking in broth. Way too many seasonings to make it 'unique' instead of good. Restaurants without a single cobbler on the menu!

On occasion I'll go to Famous Dave's, but preferably Mission BBQ. The brisket is passable, the turkey poor, but the jalapeno cheddar sausage is go to. Reminds me of my favorite Texas place, and until I find out their supplier or Slovacek decides to start shipping 1500 miles, it's the best I can get.

I never order a steak at a restaurant any more. After learning how to properly season and cook one myself, I would rather spend my money on really good beef, and share it with family. 

I love cooking and baking bread. I like to make people happy, and most of the time my cooking and baking make people very happy. When I can do that, I feel my day has been a success. I usually bake bread on Saturdays. When I pull a beautiful loaf out of the oven, and my family gathers around to sample the goodness, it really makes my day.

The only places i really like to eat out at anymore are Thai restaurants. I have not yet mastered Thai cooking, but I love to eat it! Plus, when the food is good, it is nice to just go out once in a while, and let someone else cook and clean up. :-D

21 hours ago, pmillen said:

My daughter is some sort of super taster.  She can do that.  Neither her mom nor I can.

While I believe some people are 'born' with it, I do think it is a skill that can be developed. What typically is difficult is when an ingredient is inserted in an usual place. Once, my family was puzzled over why the gravy on the mashed potatoes was so distinctively good. After I stopped eating and actually started tasting, I blurted out, "Pineapple!". Another famous restaurant in Austin, TX was known for it's gravy that locals love to pour over their fried chicken. Long story short– "Capers". Secrets out! :-D

1 hour ago, MD_Ag said:

Living in Texas for six years spoiled me more than any kamado could. Having moved back to Maryland, the amount of cheating was staggering. Brisket that was pre-sliced and soaking in broth. Way too many seasonings to make it 'unique' instead of good. Restaurants without a single cobbler on the menu!

On occasion I'll go to Famous Dave's, but preferably Mission BBQ. The brisket is passable, the turkey poor, but the jalapeno cheddar sausage is go to. Reminds me of my favorite Texas place, and until I find out their supplier or Slovacek decides to start shipping 1500 miles, it's the best I can get.

I am really impressed with the mission of Mission BBQ first of all– honoring our military, first responders, etc. I had the turkey on Saturday and while it could have been moister, I thought it good overall. Normally, the restaurants that operate on the philosophy of selling out have a more consistent product, imo. Maybe there's less temptation to hold meats over or hold them too long throughout the day. If you have to have turkey when you open and still have it available at 8:59pm, that's a lot of sitting unless you are still cooking throughout the day. 

I used to travel a minimum of twice yearly to MD, DC and was a huge fan of Hill Country BBQ, which is by no means, inexpensive. Excellent sides, excellent sausage,  great smoked chicken, better than usual brisket, Blue Bell ice cream!!! They used to have Aaron Franklin and other Texas BBQ luminaries come through yearly (Wayne Meuller, etc.). Took my family there, bragged on them to my friends, handed out gift cards to eat there... The last time I was there, they served me the absolute worst brisket I have ever eaten– left over, grey, dry, cooked on the weekend but served on Monday brisket. Would have forgiven one bad experience but the manager never responded to my email. I'm over them– LOL. 

17 hours ago, Golf Griller said:

You have a start. The smoke wood is pecan, now you just need to try to replicate the spices -- rub, sauce -- used for the wings.

I don't have the deep fryer they flash them with afterwards. I know what the spices are, it's actually pretty simple. They're served sauce-less, and they have that just out of the fryer crispiness that I know i'm not going to be able to duplicate. Even when I get them for take out, unless im eating them in the parking lot, they aren't the same after they sit for a bit.

I've made analogues, and flavorwise theyre on point, but it's not quite the same, and my doctor would kill me if I bought a deep fryer

KJTerp Have you ever seen/used a Vortex?  I use them in my weber and BGE-it will make your wings crispy.  I don't deep fry any more and the Vortex works for me.  It gets the Weber up to about 800 degrees !  light coat of grape see oil on wings, sprinkle your favorite rub, Cook indirect for 20 minutes, flip, 20 minutes more and pull out.  At this point, I take my wife's half of the wings out and toss them in Franks wing sauce with garlic added.  Then put them back on grill for 10 minutes more. (I don't always have Franks on mine).  Can put a lump of hickory on the vortex for a nice added dimension of smoke.

golf Griller might recognize these as a close 'Doc Style' from Barleycorn's.

vortexwing.jpg

HiI dunno about snob.  I consider myself to be an analytical eater and home cook.  I am constantly wanting to improve my cooking, and that involves thinking critically about what I am consuming when and if I should incorporate what I am eating.  When invited to someone's home to eat, I am happy to eat their food even if I know I would have done things differently.  To me, cooking for someone is an expression of love.  I am grateful for that.  I do have an issue with people who want me to cook for them, but they want their steaks well done.  I basically told that group, well I don't even know how to make that taste good, so it would be a waste od both of our times.  They do love my rotisserie turkey though LOL. I love traveling and a good portion of my vacation research involves food.  I often come back inspired.  I love eating at Michelin starred restaurants and have been lucky enough to eat in several.  At the same time, I love trying out new taco shacks/trucks.  I love discovering fancy and everyday foods. At the same time, I'm practical and if something is a. Cheaper than I make at home b. Takes more time than I am willing to for a particular dish or c. Has more variety than I am willing to put into one meal, I have no issue eating out.  The last one particularly applies to Korean and Indian food for me.  Which I love!  And the variety is probably what I love the most.  I'm not going to cook 10 things for one night. I have made the best al pastor I have ever tasted thanks to serious eats but it took the better part of a day and I can get something that costs 90% as good for 1.50 at the best taco stand in town.  And last, I'm never one to turn my nose up at fast food.  Sure, I can do it better at home, but sometimes I need something fast, I don't want to pay a lot, and I'm just hungry.  Granted, I can't do McDonald's because that makes me instantly ill, but other than that I'm happy to run to an in n out or chic fil a.  While I'm always interested in learning and improving my cooking game, I definitely don't think I'm a snob.  I do have difficulty getting a steak at a restaurant unless it's from a super high end restaurant where I can't source the same beef (tasting menu with A5 wagyu for example) but that's the exception rather than the rule.  I also generally have a hard time going out for BBQ, because where I live I haven't found one that is decent and reasonably priced.  Pizza is now becoming that way for me.... So maybe I'm a beginning snob?  Hahaha.  Sorry for rambling. 

I'm definitely not a Snob of any food. I grew up eating everything on the farm. Had our milk, homemade butter, vegetables, Beef, Pork, Chickens... Etc... I do laugh @ckreef. For me it was a blessing to be able to eat especially after a hard day of harvesting . I didn't grow up knowing what its like to eat out and try different foods. That didn't really come til I was adult. So for me to walk in a Restaurant chain for the most part, I enjoy my food. I guess we all had different lives where we had or didn't have. I miss going to certain places I like but don't really want to drag @ckreef out if he's not going to enjoy his food(except Cracker Barrel, love there food) . I love all the country cooking that I was raised on but @ckreef    don't like most vegetables so I go without cause no reason to buy for just me. But @ckreef is so critical of his food when most of the time it's great. Me, I just eat it... But thru dinner he is constantly hating it. Lightening up@ckreef it's all good. :)

21 hours ago, shuley said:

When invited to someone's home to eat, I am happy to eat their food even if I know I would have done things differently.  To me, cooking for someone is an expression of love.  I am grateful for that.  I do have an issue with people who want me to cook for them, but they want their steaks well done.  I basically told that group, well I don't even know how to make that taste good, so it would be a waste od both of our times...

At the same time, I love trying out new taco shacks/trucks. 

Oh I don’t judge friends cooking. I’m there to enjoy. I can appreciate what each person brings to the table. I make, in my estimation, the Best Chicken Salad ever. At Church a younger man always like to bring it. So, I defer and let him bring his- and thoroughly enjoy it. I’ll cook a steak however they want it but, I take no requests on my BBQ. There is no BBQ sauce on the premises. I have to be in a very rare mood to eat a restaurant’s sauced BBQ. If a friend makes it at home, I’ll enjoy it, whatever he puts in front of me. Same attitude toward food trucks, for the most part.  Recently, a food truck made the news as having the best brisket around. I came across him at a Street Fair. He offered a sample and doused it in his blueberry BBQ sauce. I told him it tasted good. But he’ll never see me again.

1 hour ago, skreef said:

I'm definitely not a Snob of any food. I grew up eating everything on the farm. Had our milk, homemade butter, vegetables, Beef, Pork, Chickens... Etc... I do laugh @ckreef. For me it was a blessing to be able to eat especially after a hard day of harvesting . I didn't grow up knowing what its like to eat out and try different foods. That didn't really come til I was adult. So for me to walk in a Restaurant chain for the most part, I enjoy my food. I guess we all had different lives where we had or didn't have. I miss going to certain places I like but don't really want to drag @ckreef out if he's not going to enjoy his food(except Cracker Barrel, love there food) . I love all the country cooking that I was raised on but @ckreef    don't like most vegetables so I go without cause no reason to buy for just me. But @ckreef is so critical of his food when most of the time it's great. Me, I just eat it... But thru dinner he is constantly hating it. Lightening up@ckreef it's all good. :)

It sounds like you are referring to being finicky more than snobby. In my mind, being a snob has more to do with your expectations regarding quality and standards of preparation, etc. Finnicky says, I don’t eat broccoli. Snobby says, the broccoli was over cooked,  under seasoned and they probably should have just served the crowns. 

Also, my wife would eat at Crackle Barrel Several times monthly. I basically can only tolerate it’s breakfast.  Many a night I’d just sit at the table  drinking a sweet tea, watching her eat. That is, until they started serving bone in chicken. Now all of a sudden she doesn’t want to go as often. 

:rofl:

Edited by CentralTexBBQ

1 hour ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

Oh I don’t judge friends cooking. I’m there to enjoy. I can appreciate what each person brings to the table. I make, in my estimation, the Best Chicken Salad ever. At Church a younger man always like to bring it. So, I defer and let him bring his- and thoroughly enjoy it. I’ll cook a steak however they want it but, I take no requests on my BBQ. There is no BBQ sauce on the premises. I have to be in a very rare mood to eat a restaurant’s sauced BBQ. If a friend makes it at home, I’ll enjoy it, whatever he puts in front of me. Same attitude toward food trucks, for the most part.  Recently, a food truck made the news as having the best brisket around. I came across him at a Street Fair. He offered a sample and doused it in his blueberry BBQ sauce. I told him it tasted good. But he’ll never see me again.

It sounds like you are referring to being finicky more than snobby. In my mind, being a snob has more to do with your expectations regarding quality and standards of preparation, etc. Finnicky says, I don’t eat broccoli. Snobby says, the broccoli was over cooked,  under seasoned and they probably should have just served the crowns. 

Also, my wife would eat at Crackle Barrel Several times monthly. I basically can only tolerate it’s breakfast.  Many a night I’d just sit at the table  drinking a sweet tea, watching her eat. That is, until they started serving bone in chicken. Now all of a sudden she doesn’t want to go as often. 

:rofl:

Mrs skreef could do Cracker Barrel once a week. Once every 6 months for me and only for breakfast. Last time we ate there we had the stupidest waitress ever. I only kept my composure for Mrs skreef's sake. It'll be another 6 months before I forget about all that..