ckreef

Reef's Lump Comparison

1 hour ago, slap1914 said:

I just read threw this whole thread in a single sitting. Outstanding! @ckreef

TY @slap1914

It's been a fun and informative adventure. Mostly outcomes I expected but a few that were a bit of a surprise. 

Been away for a bit....just got caught up. So far I've used a bag of The Grove. Loved the burn length, no foreign material, and chunk sizes were great with the exception of some small bits at the end of the bag, which may have been me trying to shove the bag in a sealed air tight Rubbermaid tote I keep mine in. $15 for a 20 lb bag. I also tried Rockwood I got close to home for $24.99 / 20# bag, and while the pieces were impressive (see pic), it is quick to light, little waste, and foreign material, it burns away quick. You get nothing but ash piles left to work with the next day. I am now using a combo of the two until they're both gone, which won't be long - I have 7 cooks in last 9 days. I will jump over to some of these other brands and give them a run. Good stuff, and thanks for investing the time and money, CK. 

lump1.jpg

Great thread. It’s always interesting learning about various views of lump. It’s even better when people take the time to record results with controlled studies. I’ve tried many on your list. For the last two years  I’ve been using CharWood. Stumbled across it by chance when I went to the local store to grab some lump. I had a choice between Cowboy and CharWood. After a few bad experiences with Cowboy I ponied up for the CharWood. So glad I did. It seemed so expensive, but I’ve only been using the Mini-Max so fuel consumption is minimal. Well...this stuff burns so clean and with very minimal sparking.  Good size uniformity. On the smaller side but perfect for the small firebox. Response to small vent changes is great, but that could be the switch to the KAB. Anyway, if you ever do a controlled study, I’d be interested in the results. 

One more thing. Picked up a bunch of this stuff when it went on sale. What a deal. 

3E238D08-5785-4966-AE95-812AD7AF9658.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Drusen said:

Great thread. It’s always interesting learning about various views of lump. It’s even better when people take the time to record results with controlled studies. I’ve tried many on your list. For the last two years  I’ve been using CharWood. Stumbled across it by chance when I went to the local store to grab some lump. I had a choice between Cowboy and CharWood. After a few bad experiences with Cowboy I ponied up for the CharWood. So glad I did. It seemed so expensive, but I’ve only been using the Mini-Max so fuel consumption is minimal. Well...this stuff burns so clean and with very minimal sparking.  Good size uniformity. On the smaller side but perfect for the small firebox. Response to small vent changes is great, but that could be the switch to the KAB. Anyway, if you ever do a controlled study, I’d be interested in the results. 

One more thing. Picked up a bunch of this stuff when it went on sale. What a deal. 

3E238D08-5785-4966-AE95-812AD7AF9658.jpeg

Where does that brand call home? (I've got family in Bend, OR that comes back every now and again with a vehicle)

48 minutes ago, Scott Roberts said:

It's the same as the Charbroil brand! This brand is Black Diamond Char wood!

Scott

Blackdiamondlump.thumb.jpg.2cc13e9123944b4e979320eea9848c4c.jpg

lump.thumb.jpg.cb2ae3da55a42490f214d30215172f28.jpg

I've had that before. Burned good but "average pieces 3"   ",  NOT, which was the problem. If they would have averaged 3" it would have been really good lump. 

I didn’t quite realize how small it was until 15 minutes ago when I started the first fire in the KJ Classic II that just arrived this afternoon. Setting it up was so much easier than the Large BGE I had. I think I made the right choice. Time will tell. 

4 hours ago, Drusen said:

I didn’t quite realize how small it was until 15 minutes ago when I started the first fire in the KJ Classic II that just arrived this afternoon. Setting it up was so much easier than the Large BGE I had. I think I made the right choice. Time will tell. 

It's decent lump the pieces just aren't 3" like they claim. As for the KJ Classic I'm sure you're going to love it. 

Fogo Quebracho L-n-S is underway, bottom of post #4. 

I usually wait until Saturday afternoon to start these tests. Today I decided to start this Saturday morning before me and Mrs skreef went shopping.