ckreef

Reef's Lump Comparison

12 minutes ago, Burntweenie said:

What charcoal is on deck for this weekend?

Jealous Devil tonight into tomorrow on a whole brisket. (will exhaust that supply). Still on sale here locally for $20 a bag....I will invest in that again, maybe heavily. 

Using FOGO Supreme (beige bag) for the first time ever on Sunday for 2 pork butts with some apple chunks.

Tomorrow I'll hopefully get the lump pictures and the lbs per sq ft done for all three. Then I'll start on the 500* tests. I want to put these last 3 through the same thing I did for the first 10.

Be patient it's all coming. 

Size pictures and density for the last 3 lumps added to the bottom of post #2. 

Glad that dirty, messy phase is over. Now I can move on to the burn tests. 

Komodo Kamado CoffeeChar is hand packed boxes. There was almost no fines/dust and after dumping the box out I had a hard time getting it all back in the box. I was impressed. 

I wasn't impressed with the Eucalyptus lump, lots of smalls. 

Jealous Devil had a lot of fines but overall the size of the pieces is what I'm looking for in a lump and it was right near the top for density, can't wait to try a burn. 

On 9/8/2019 at 11:09 AM, ckreef said:

Size pictures and density for the last 3 lumps added to the bottom of post #2. 

Glad that dirty, messy phase is over. Now I can move on to the burn tests. 

Komodo Kamado CoffeeChar is hand packed boxes. There was almost no fines/dust and after dumping the box out I had a hard time getting it all back in the box. I was impressed. 

I wasn't impressed with the Eucalyptus lump, lots of smalls. 

Jealous Devil had a lot of fines but overall the size of the pieces is what I'm looking for in a lump and it was right near the top for density, can't wait to try a burn. 

PM me your address. I've got a buddy who knows the owners of Grove Charcoal up here in WI. Can probably snag a bag and send it down there to you, if interested. 

6 hours ago, Rancho5 said:

I would welcome any opinions on El Diablo Mesquite charcoal sold at Costco.

I've been using it for several years and like it. At ~$14 / 40# bag, you can't go wrong. Some folks don't like the smell or the

fact that you get a wide range of sizes of lump, but I don't have a problem with either and use the different sizes in

different cookers. It's all mesquite lump and comes for Mexico. It burns long and hot and leaves about

what you would expect for the amount of ash. If my local Costco doesn't have it because it's "Out Of Season" I go

to the Costco business center  across town and they always have a couple of pallets full.

I got a pretty good deal on some "Western Premium" lump at Wally World recently.  A little over 9 bucks for a 30 pound bag.  I bought 300 pounds.  :)

I don't think the "Western" brand stuff gets very high marks for quality, but this batch has been fine.

The lumps were grapefruit size down to about tennis ball size.  All obviously hardwood lumps, no boards, bark or extraneous crap in the bag.  The burns have been perfect... fast to light, hot, and long burning.  Loaded the fire basket full and got 12 hours at 225°F to 250°F, the longest so far, but half the coals were left unburnt after that cook.  So the full load could last a LONG time..

About 1/4 of the bag was chips and chunks instead of lumps, but that's fine with me... I burn them in my Weber Performer with no problem at all.  Did chicken wings with it tonight as a matter of fact.  :)

Tom

On 9/13/2019 at 3:07 PM, CannedHeat said:

PM me your address. I've got a buddy who knows the owners of Grove Charcoal up here in WI. Can probably snag a bag and send it down there to you, if interested. 

I appreciate the offer but I think when I finish testing these last three bags I'm going to cry "uncle" with this project. I've gotten the answers I was looking for.

45 minutes ago, ckreef said:

I've gotten the answers I was looking for.

And so have I. Reading your results and looking at the pics in the first post as you have updated, I know what gives me the most bang for the buck, and confirms what I have been using as the best for me.  I will still pick up a good deal when I see one, though. 

Thanks for the informative thread.

9 minutes ago, Scott Roberts said:

Ok so my bang for buck and overall good lump charcoal is B&B Oak Lump! Thanks @ckreef for spending your time and money for this extensive test!

Scott

It's definitely got lots of bang for a little buck but............. 

I haven't tried Jealous Devil yet. It looks very promising.