Jump to content

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, ckreef said:

 

It's definitely got lots of bang for a little buck but............. 

 

I haven't tried Jealous Devil yet. It looks very promising. 

 

 

I’m really interested in the Jealous Devil. I just bought a few bags of Kamado Joe XL to try. I think I can fit both bags in my firebox... lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ummm... your bags of lump have dollar bills in them. I’ve found rocks, wire, and assorted other crud, but never cold hard cash 

This idea started out as a comparison between regular RO and RO XL. I guess I went a little overboard   These are lumps that are readily available to me locally. The price listed is what I

All tests have been completed and the appropriate posts have been updated. Will post my personal conclusion within the next day or two.   

Posted Images

I did the high heat test of Eucalyptus lump last weekend I've just been really busy this week so I haven't posted the pictures yet. 

 

Going to do the Jealous Devil high heat test this weekend. That test will tell me everything I need to know. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

While playing Reef's charcoal comparison the home edition I picked up some B&B and Rockwood through Ace Hardware and my first impression is just how much bigger a 20lb. bag of Rockwood is compared to the B&B?! (the pic doesn't do the size difference justice)

 

My second observation is the small limb wood in the B&B, for those that use B&B is this common?

 

IMG_3147.thumb.jpeg.e4ba7c7258c78bb01fa5cd2607e83f05.jpegIMG_1546.thumb.jpg.dfba3d2a0d7f5b8755d611fb1f452cba.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Kamado Tom said:

While playing Reef's charcoal comparison the home edition I picked up some B&B and Rockwood through Ace Hardware and my first impression is just how much bigger a 20lb. bag of Rockwood is compared to the B&B?! (the pic doesn't do the size difference justice)

 

My second observation is the small limb wood in the B&B, for those that use B&B is this common?

 

IMG_3147.thumb.jpeg.e4ba7c7258c78bb01fa5cd2607e83f05.jpegIMG_1546.thumb.jpg.dfba3d2a0d7f5b8755d611fb1f452cba.jpg

 

Didn't know there was a home edition version - LOL - I like it, keep it coming B)

 

For equal weight - the smaller the bag the better the lump. 

 

I know a lot of people like Rockwood - I rate it right down at the bottom with Cowboy.  Going to throw away my remaining Cowboy and Rockwood lump.  Sorry Rockwood fans but Yea it sucks overall............ 

 

I like small limb wood :)

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ckreef said:

 

Didn't know there was a home edition version - LOL - I like it, keep it coming B)

 

For equal weight - the smaller the bag the better the lump. 

 

I know a lot of people like Rockwood - I rate it right down at the bottom with Cowboy.  Going to throw away my remaining Cowboy and Rockwood lump.  Sorry Rockwood fans but Yea it sucks overall............ 

 

I like small limb wood :)

 

 

 

Well the B&B did do pretty good on the pizza cook tonight so I've got no complaints so far.

 

I have to disagree with you about the equal weight smaller bag part though, as someone who spent years in the firewood, logging and timber industry, weight difference of similar hardness/density woods (oak/hard maple) will mostly come down to moisture content which is why wood is sold by volume not weight and the less moisture content the less btu's wasted burning off the remaining moisture in the wood/charcoal. I'm not defending any brand and I've not opened the Rockwood yet but all other things being equal, which they may not be, 20lbs. of charcoal that has larger volume is indicative of less moisture content which would yield more btu's.

 

This has been a friendly and open frame of mind post discussing charcoal, just to be clear

 

 

IMG_4268.jpeg

IMG_7853.jpeg

IMG_7842.jpeg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 I agree with you on the water equals weight concept. Moisture left in lump is wood that was not fully carbonized which will smoke a good bit more coming to temp as it burns off that moisture. Those lumps will have less volume due to the water but..... 

 

With lump charcoal mostly what I've found is weight v. Volume is mainly the density of the original wood used to make the lump. The more dense the original wood the harder the lump, which  in the end gives you less volume for a given weight. 

 

The general rule of smaller bag for the same weight equals denser lump applies almost all the time although I'm sure there are some exceptions. 

 

BTW - nice looking pizza! 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jealous Devil looks to be nice sized, not too big and not too small, I might have to give it a try. As for me I tried FOGO  Maruba this weekend and it was hard to get started and took a lot longer than normal to get up to temp, after one cook I'm not impressed but I will do several more cooks before I make a final decision on it. I'm still on board with Big Block for low and slow and FOGO black bag for high temp cooking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Burntweenie said:

Jealous Devil looks to be nice sized, not too big and not too small, I might have to give it a try. As for me I tried FOGO  Maruba this weekend and it was hard to get started and took a lot longer than normal to get up to temp, after one cook I'm not impressed but I will do several more cooks before I make a final decision on it. I'm still on board with Big Block for low and slow and FOGO black bag for high temp cooking.

 

Jealous Devil had my size pieces. Like you said "not too big and not too small". The whole bag was like that. Will eventually buy another bag to see if that is standard. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the JD showed up from Amazon, box and bag were in decent shape will be interesting to see how it fits into the mix as it's significantly more expensive than the KJBB and Fogo Premium which I get for ~$1/lb.

 

I've gone through 3/4 of the bag of B&B Oak and its done pretty good so far with 3 separate pizza cooks and some chicken, burgers and a steak cook. I like it enough that I used my 15% code from Ace to order another bag, if it works out it'll be my go to for high temp. cooks as I can get it for $13.50 for a 20lb. bag.IMG_4695.thumb.jpeg.ae5086c0f0e43bc90a815979a2f0fbaa.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...