ckreef

Reef's Lump Comparison

Man you guys have me worried now.  I bought a used Akorn off of CL and the guy gave me a full bag of KJXL that I have been working my way through.  Ace had a sale on some Cowboy with some free wood chips, so I picked up a bag not knowing any better.  I'm almost through my KJ and will have to open the Cowboy soon.  It was so cheap I'm not going to bother taking it back, but for future purchases I'll keep this post in mind.  Probably make a point to do a bunch of hot, quick, and easy stuff (chicken, burgers, dogs, chops, etc) to get through the Cowboy faster before I do any low and slows.  I am impressed with the Akorn and the KJXL though. 

I've done low'n slow ribs, pork loin, & and an almost 18 hour butt( $50 ebay BBQube controller FTW) and there is still some KJXL in the bag and the grill.  Probably a total of 30 hours worth of low and slow with a few 4-500 degree cooks for chicken and chops in the mix.  Still tuning the smoke generation, I'm finding I need to be strategic about wood placement for the start of the cook to infuse more smoke flavor.

I have only had one piece of KJXL that I split with the axe because it was just too big otherwise good size chunks.

1 minute ago, Tarnation said:

Man you guys have me worried now.  I bought a used Akorn off of CL and the guy gave me a full bag of KJXL that I have been working my way through.  Ace had a sale on some Cowboy with some free wood chips, so I picked up a bag not knowing any better.  I'm almost through my KJ and will have to open the Cowboy soon.  It was so cheap I'm not going to bother taking it back, but for future purchases I'll keep this post in mind.  Probably make a point to do a bunch of hot, quick, and easy stuff (chicken, burgers, dogs, chops, etc) to get through the Cowboy faster before I do any low and slows.  I am impressed with the Akorn and the KJXL though. 

I've done low'n slow ribs, pork loin, & and an almost 18 hour butt( $50 ebay BBQube controller FTW) and there is still some KJXL in the bag and the grill.  Probably a total of 30 hours worth of low and slow with a few 4-500 degree cooks for chicken and chops in the mix.  Still tuning the smoke generation, I'm finding I need to be strategic about wood placement for the start of the cook to infuse more smoke flavor.

I have only had one piece of KJXL that I split with the axe because it was just too big otherwise good size chunks.

The Cowboy lump will cook fine.  All this crap you hear about Cowboy lump being that bad is just hogwash.  I started out using Cowboy lump and used 3 or 4 bags of it with no problems whatsoever.  The lump charcoal you choose does not make or break your cook.  

7 minutes ago, Tarnation said:

Probably make a point to do a bunch of hot, quick, and easy stuff (chicken, burgers, dogs, chops, etc) to get through the Cowboy faster before I do any low and slows.  I am impressed with the Akorn and the KJXL though.

Just adjust the ratio of cowboy to KJBB. I use the RO as you suggest with the cowboy. I lay down a base of KJBB which I have broken into manageable size pieces, then the RO. I will use a base of the bigger pieces for longer cooks.

I used a mix of big and small pieces, and adjust the ratio for the heat / duration of the cook.

13 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

The Cowboy lump will cook fine.  All this crap you hear about Cowboy lump being that bad is just hogwash.  I started out using Cowboy lump and used 3 or 4 bags of it with no problems whatsoever.  The lump charcoal you choose does not make or break your cook.  

cowboy is not my fave. but I use it quite often as it is economical and accessable. The dead animal on the grill dont know what brand you are using. as JS said, the lump dosent make or break a cook.

3 hours ago, Burntweenie said:

The Made in Mexico Cowboy isn't terrible, look on the bottom of the back of the bag and see.

Will do, thanks for the tip.

4 hours ago, John Setzler said:

Thanks for the tip, I haven't figured out what I'm going to cook this week/weekend with it yet, but something.  Been working on re-seasoning a 10" skillet, got it most of the way there with the oven, but I might finish it on the Akorn.  The smell of hot cast iron and cooking oil permeating through the house is less than pleasant.

6 hours ago, Kamado Tom said:

Well the JD showed up from Amazon, box and bag were in decent shape will be interesting to see how it fits into the mix as it's significantly more expensive than the KJBB and Fogo Premium which I get for ~$1/lb.

I've gone through 3/4 of the bag of B&B Oak and its done pretty good so far with 3 separate pizza cooks and some chicken, burgers and a steak cook. I like it enough that I used my 15% code from Ace to order another bag, if it works out it'll be my go to for high temp. cooks as I can get it for $13.50 for a 20lb. bag.IMG_4695.thumb.jpeg.ae5086c0f0e43bc90a815979a2f0fbaa.jpeg

I'm really interested to know what the mix of the size of pieces in that bag looks like. I got what I consider a really good bag. I'm wondering if that's normal or did I get lucky. 

Komodo Kamado CoffeeChar 500* test results posted at the bottom of post #3. Like Jealous Devil this too had really great piece size and did a good job with the burn. 

I need to use my controller for something else this weekend so I won't get to the low-n-slow tests until next weekend. 

I get it, quality over quantity.  But I have been through 5 bags of this lump and I found no smell, painted pieces etc.  It works as well as other bags I have tried including Royal Oak.  Seriously, 150 lbs and two large bags of apple chunks for $65.

6B7Fla9cQOWIMH4EfS4wRA.jpg

My local Walmart had Western Lump $9.99 for a 30 lb bag. I've used 4 or 5 so far. It works great for grilling. I haven't tried it low and slow so I can't comment on that. 

1 hour ago, Burntweenie said:

@ckreef How many more lumps left before the final results? Maybe a top 10 list?

Three low-n-slow tests left. Will try and get one done this weekend. 

On 9/25/2019 at 5:02 PM, ckreef said:

I'm really interested to know what the mix of the size of pieces in that bag looks like. I got what I consider a really good bag. I'm wondering if that's normal or did I get lucky. 

here's a pic of the first poor outta the bag, more of a top off as I still had a half load of Rockwood in the box from a brisket cook. I was prepping for a pizza cook here and so far I'm impressed with the racquetball size pieces and the very hot fire for my pizza cook (I actually had completely close the lower vent as it got too hot for my dough.