ckreef

Reef's Lump Comparison

6 hours ago, R5Ryder said:

Curious @ckreef - was the conclusion posted, and if so, 'lil help?

No formal conclusion was posted. Lump from South American hardwoods is superior to lump made from North American hardwoods. South American hardwood trees are denser wood to begin with. 

My top 3 lumps from South American hardwoods are:

KJ Big Block 

Jealous Devil 

Fogo Quebracho 

@ckreef Could you pin this so that it is easier to find? I try to use either KJ Big Block, or Fogo, but occasionally need to buy some charcoal to carry me over until I can get what I prefer. I use this to compare my options.

7 hours ago, Golf Griller said:

@ckreef Could you pin this so that it is easier to find? I try to use either KJ Big Block, or Fogo, but occasionally need to buy some charcoal to carry me over until I can get what I prefer. I use this to compare my options.

Done B)

6 hours ago, PeterRegan said:

I just read this from start to finish.....Soo much information! I think I'm going to go lie down now!

It's a good bit to read for sure. If you look at the results for each section it gets easier to come to your own personal conclusions. 

On 5/5/2019 at 3:13 PM, ndg_2000 said:

Wow the maribu hardly burned there. Unfortunately I have never seen it over the pond here in the UK. 

Sorry mate - very slow reply of over a month as I have just joined, but if you are in the UK, you won't find better than Big K "Flama" restaurant stick charcoal.

It is complete tree branches from about 1" to 3" diameter, about 12" long. Comes in a box of 15Kg (33lbs) and is fantastic. I've been using it for  years now and wont buy anything else. They deliver to your door. It's not cheap (works out at £1.73 per kilo delivered - with 30% off for a half pallet), but it's cheaper than garage or garden centre charcoal and a million miles better.

Their other restaurant grade charcoals are also very good and a little cheaper, but I consider the "Flama" to be the holy grail of charcoal.

https://bigkproducts.co.uk/products/flama/

They say 2 hour burn time, but a load of this will run all day or all night on a Kamado.,

BCH15-51-e1578666628693.jpg

This is a great thread @ckreef.

My two “go to” lumps are KJ Big Block for the majority of my cooks but I opt for Jealous Devil for my pizza cooks.  Seems to hold high heat forever.

I used to get an Argentinian lump called Le Gourmet Classique (blue bag), which I think was Quebracho Blanco.  I really enjoyed the smoke but it seems it has been discontinued.

On 6/16/2020 at 9:31 PM, adm said:

Their other restaurant grade charcoals are also very good and a little cheaper, but I consider the "Flama" to be the holy grail of charcoal.

https://bigkproducts.co.uk/products/flama/

Very interesting, thanks. I've been using the Big K Dura restaurant charcoal for the last few years and it's also excellent. It's 100% natural White Quebracho according to their website. 

50 minutes ago, Tongmaster said:

Very interesting, thanks. I've been using the Big K Dura restaurant charcoal for the last few years and it's also excellent. It's 100% natural White Quebracho according to their website. 

Soooo.....after a few weeks with my Kamado I actually find myself using the Big K Dura more often than the Flama.

One caveat though....

If I have my charcoal basket divided in 2, then I prefer the stick shape of the Flama (and this is mainly how I used my Weber Kettle BBQs before I got the Kamado).

If I am using the full charcoal basket, I actually prefer the Dura as it's easier to more evenly fill the charcoal basket. And I do find myself mainly using a full charcoal basket.

Either way, both are excellent charcoals and well worth experimenting with to see which you prefer.