Reef's Lump Comparison

I recently bought some Rockwood lump charcoal. I am not sure if this is standard for lump, but there are a lot of smaller pieces. Did I just get a bad bag? Also, after my last cook, I pulled out a nice chunk of aggregate... Not so impressed. Does Rockwood have QA issues or is this just standard and if I don't want random stuff and lots of small pieces I have to spend a lot more money? I paid $22 because there were a lot of good reviews of the stuff.

IMG_1507 copy.jpg

IMG_1607 copy.JPG

5 hours ago, RoodyPooBBQ said:

What's everyone's thoughts on the "flavored" lump charcoal - for example, B&B Hickory Lump?  I realize it's not "flavored" and just made from hickory, but given how lump is made, would it really have a strong flavor profile?  Just wondering if you'd still need to use wood chunks if using something like that.

I have never picked up any distinctives with the various lump brands (and therefore varities of woods) I have used. All have been neutral. While they do give off a faint smoke profile (my opinion) smoking wood needs to be added for them to have the character of oak, pecan, etc.

I'd have to believe if you can tell that hickory lump indeed smells like hickory, it wasn't properly / thorughly processed in the kilns.

On 5/2/2022 at 5:35 PM, fotoflux said:

I recently bought some Rockwood lump charcoal. I am not sure if this is standard for lump, but there are a lot of smaller pieces. Did I just get a bad bag? Also, after my last cook, I pulled out a nice chunk of aggregate... Not so impressed. Does Rockwood have QA issues or is this just standard and if I don't want random stuff and lots of small pieces I have to spend a lot more money? I paid $22 because there were a lot of good reviews of the stuff.

IMG_1507 copy.jpg

IMG_1607 copy.JPG

Grilled some burgers this morning and found another piece of aggregate and a piece that barely fit in my firebox and a piece that was just pure un-carbonized wood. Really, really disappointed in Rockwood.

011F6C2E-0D6D-492A-9E48-5DBD603A2616.jpeg

EE623718-7DFF-453D-896F-0EB975FD4CDD.jpeg

B68190BA-7F05-445F-A97B-5BF183FCC377.jpeg

Been using lump charcoal for over 60 years  and I'm no longer surprised by what I find in the bags. Rockwood is a good brand some bags are better than others. Charcoal is some what fragile your bag could have been close to the end of the charcoal run or from the handlers along the way playing charcoal bag toss. The small pieces you showed are what the contents in  2 whole bags of royal Oak were like. I keep hoping one day they will use clear plastic bags( I'm not holding my breath waiting), till then just something we have to put up with. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/25/2022 at 1:24 PM, AJS390 said:

I just picked some of this up too.  Can't hardly go wrong at $12 for 16 lbs.  Also got a bag of Jealous Devil to try from Home Depot.

I can't believe there's actual charcoal options.  Usually where I live the choices in store are pretty much Cowboy or the empty spot where the Royal Oak bags would be if they weren't sold out.

20220425_130727.jpg

I finally ran out of my previous charcoal and gave this masterbuilt charcoal a try.  It was well worth the price.  Large, hard lump and seemed to burn fine (I ran the grill for over 8 hours cooking some ribs).  Not sure how much is left in the basket since I haven't looked, but it didn't give any sign it was running out of fuel.  It did seem very mild in smoke profile, not a lot there from the charcoal itself.  But that's not necessarily a bad thing, just need to make sure you've got your smoking wood ready.

The only real negative I could find is that it did seem to pop and throw sparks more than others when lighting.  But that's not a real concern for me either.

My main takeaway is that, if the price remains the same, I don't see how there's a better deal out there.

Edited by AJS390
Typo

48 minutes ago, AJS390 said:

I finally ran out of my previous charcoal and have this masterbuilt charcoal a try.  It was well worth the price.  Large, hard lump and seemed to burn fine (I ran the grill for over 8 hours cooking some ribs).  Not sure how much is left in the basket since I haven't looked, but it didn't give any sign it was running out of fuel.  It did seem very mild in smoke profile, not a lot there from the charcoal itself.  But that's not necessarily a bad thing, just need to make sure you've got your smoking wood ready.

The only real negative I could find is that it did seem to pop and throw sparks more than others when lighting.  But that's not a real concern for me either.

My main takeaway is that, if the price remains the same, I don't see how there's a better deal out there.

Even the expensive stuff sparks…. Look at this Fogo Super Premium leave ash everywhere…1504A222-6C94-4DFA-A93D-1624C44C3A72.thumb.jpeg.cef461baee8c204dda777deb7d9b20e1.jpeg65976998-F719-45F1-A012-923084250B5C.thumb.jpeg.5be55df56f1ecb4772cb4bc1195540c7.jpeg

1 hour ago, AJS390 said:

I finally ran out of my previous charcoal and have this masterbuilt charcoal a try.  It was well worth the price.  Large, hard lump and seemed to burn fine (I ran the grill for over 8 hours cooking some ribs).  Not sure how much is left in the basket since I haven't looked, but it didn't give any sign it was running out of fuel.  It did seem very mild in smoke profile, not a lot there from the charcoal itself.  But that's not necessarily a bad thing, just need to make sure you've got your smoking wood ready.

• 4 weeks later...