ckreef

Reef's Lump Comparison

5 minutes ago, ckreef said:

Stay tuned this is going to turn truly epic really soon. For the last couple of days I've been trying a high heat (500*) procedure (with lump laying around the house). I wanted to make sure I had a procedure that could be replicated lump after lump that would show us how much was used by each lump. I think I have a good procedure figured out and should start trying the different lumps with that procedure this coming weekend. 

May the smoke be seen far and wide from the high heat procedure hinted at above :worship:

22 minutes ago, ckreef said:

Stay tuned this is going to turn truly epic really soon. For the last couple of days I've been trying a high heat (500*) procedure (with lump laying around the house). I wanted to make sure I had a procedure that could be replicated lump after lump that would show us how much was used by each lump. I think I have a good procedure figured out and should start trying the different lumps with that procedure this coming weekend. 

Looking forward to your results.

14 hours ago, ckreef said:

I think I have a good procedure figured out and should start trying the different lumps with that procedure this coming weekend.

Since I'll spend most of my weekend doing yard work I'll plan turn my gaze to the Southeast horizon regularly, and direct positive karma your way.

On 4/5/2019 at 8:29 PM, ckreef said:

I think ash is much less of a factor if you have a lump basket compared to a plate with holes.

For sure!  With my lump basket filled with briquettes instead of lump, I get a ton more ash, but with the side holes in the firebox combined with the open bottom....it never even comes close to blocking air flow.  I can go 3-4 cooks easily before having to even think about cleaning out any ash.

I'm interested in the high heat results. I use RO and KJ Big Block and would like to know the most efficient charcoals for getting over 600°. I rarely go that high but in experimenting with pizza I'd like to try different temps but can't get above 650°. I know many are of the opinion there's no need to get that high but I'd like to try it. I buy my dough from a local pizzeria that cooks theirs wood fired at up to 1000°.

I've also like to know, which of these brands claim to be sustainably sourced? Is there language addressing that on any of your bags?

18 minutes ago, SeaBrisket said:

I'm interested in the high heat results. I use RO and KJ Big Block and would like to know the most efficient charcoals for getting over 600°. I rarely go that high but in experimenting with pizza I'd like to try different temps but can't get above 650°. I know many are of the opinion there's no need to get that high but I'd like to try it. I buy my dough from a local pizzeria that cooks theirs wood fired at up to 1000°.

I've also like to know, which of these brands claim to be sustainably sourced? Is there language addressing that on any of your bags?

For now the tests I'm doing is a 500* timed test. Did the RO (regular) last night and going to do the RO XL tonight. Will post these results in the morning. This is being done in my Primo Oval Jr. After this round of tests I would be willing to do a 700* test but would want to do that in one of my KK's. 

Off the top of my head Rockwood and Fogo Marabu is sustainably sourced. I think I saw a KJ lump video once that spoke about that briefly. The bags are currently stacked in a back room. I'll double check the bags as I pull them out. Surprisingly most of these lump websites have very little information about the lump. The RO website doesn't even have the RO XL Cut listed. 

35 minutes ago, ckreef said:

f the top of my head Rockwood and Fogo Marabu is sustainably sourced. I think I saw a KJ lump video once that spoke about that briefly. The bags are currently stacked in a back room. I'll double check the bags as I pull them out. Surprisingly most of these lump websites have very little information about the lump. The RO website doesn't even have the RO XL Cut listed. 

I think Jealous Devil claims sustainable sourcing, and I also think I saw some mention of that by KJ somewhere. Hard to know what standard they're making that claim against though. Jealous Devil's language suggests they are aspiring to Forest Stewardship Council certification.

Both brands use plastic in their packaging for water resistance. At least RO just uses paper there.

15 minutes ago, SeaBrisket said:

I think Jealous Devil claims sustainable sourcing, and I also think I saw some mention of that by KJ somewhere. Hard to know what standard they're making that claim against though. Jealous Devil's language suggests they are aspiring to Forest Stewardship Council certification.

Both brands use plastic in their packaging for water resistance. At least RO just uses paper there.

Rockwood uses scraps from timber milling companies. Hardwood pieces that can't be made into boards and would otherwise just get discarded. 

Fogo Marabu is a plant that invades agricultural fields in Cuba. It takes over agricultural fields so they pull it out and turn it into lump instead of burning it up or discarding it. 

50 minutes ago, ckreef said:

Fogo Marabu is a plant that invades agricultural fields in Cuba. It takes over agricultural fields so they pull it out and turn it into lump instead of burning it up or discarding it. 

Wikipedia link to the plant that maribu use for charcoal

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichrostachys_cinerea

I don't think they are going to run out of it soon 

Edited by ndg_2000
More info

6 hours ago, philpom said:

*Prediction - the smaller the pieces (within reason) the quicker they get to temp.  

That's what I was thinking - but I did the Cowboy last night. Almost all small pieces, probably more than "within reason". The results on the time surprised me. I'll snap the pictures and post the results later tonight. 

What I find is it's better to just be used to your lump, because they all seem to burn slightly differently.  That's why I was so bummed when I ran out of my clearance char broil center cut.  It's stupid expensive to order from their website, so I'm back to RO for now.... And did you have any off taste when using cowboy?  I'm wondering if it was just an off bag.  Luckily my husband returned it and got me a bag of KJ XL instead, then when that ran out I'm back to regular old RO.