Reef's Lump Comparison

Check out the Fogo Marabu I just added. It definitely did not disappoint me B)

That is the reason why I only use Marabu in my konro grill.

Only one left to go in the 500* comparison, Fogo Quebracho. 

21 minutes ago, ndg_2000 said:

Wow the maribu hardly burned there. Unfortunately I have never seen it over the pond here in the UK. 

Fogo is a FL based company. They have free shipping in the states. I'm sure it would cost a small fortune to ship across the pond. Marabu comes from Cuba and Fogo is the only company I know of that has it. As you can tell It is a really hard lump. I can't believe how much is leftover. I could spread it back out and still basically have a Firebox full of lump. 

Added the Fogo Quebracho. That basically wraps up the 500* comparison. 

I have a surprise for the low-n-slow phase of this comparison. I should be able to post the surprise tomorrow evening. Stay tuned - it's only getting better B)

1 hour ago, Scott Roberts said:

@ckreef would you say that the Fogo Marabu so far is the best value? (Burn test only)

Scott

Not sure about best value because it's not cheap. 

For sure the least used to do 500* for 2 hours. Also was very stable with the vent settings 

Quebracho came in second for least used but it wasn't very stable temperature wise which currently I'm attributing that to all XL pieces. There is another side bar test I'm going to do that should confirm my hypothesis on all XL pieces. 

Just now, Scott Roberts said:

Can't wait to see the low and slow results for this charcoal!

Scott

Yea I'm sort of excited to move onto the low-n-slow phase. Unfortunately I'll only be able to do one test per weekend and I'm going to do them in the same order. Should be able to start on that this Saturday night. 

On 4/19/2019 at 1:08 PM, shuley said:

What I find is it's better to just be used to your lump, because they all seem to burn slightly differently.  That's why I was so bummed when I ran out of my clearance char broil center cut.  It's stupid expensive to order from their website, so I'm back to RO for now.... And did you have any off taste when using cowboy?  I'm wondering if it was just an off bag.  Luckily my husband returned it and got me a bag of KJ XL instead, then when that ran out I'm back to regular old RO.  

cowboy like you said is the worst lump ever even some off brand of lump is better then cowboy so its not an off bag

my lowes is now selling the joe lump i think that might be better then ro but my goto lump has always been ro

7 minutes ago, Stile 88 said:

cowboy like you said is the worst lump ever even some off brand of lump is better then cowboy so its not an off bag

my lowes is now selling the joe lump i think that might be better then ro but my goto lump has always been ro

When I get done with all this, any Cowboy left in the bag is going in the circular file and my kamados aren't circular ;)

At this point given a choice between RO and KJ I'd take the KJ hands down (you might have to bust up some XL pieces). I have a few detailed thoughts about all this but want to get through the low-n-slow before I say too much. 

I have a big Joe, with KJ basket. I have used many brands of lump charcoal and liked Royal oak because of price. Unfortunately I also have been finding lots of rocks, big rocks, in my basket. I took photos and sent them to Royal oak, no word from them as yet. I got through several bags a month, the rocks add up!

6 hours ago, Huntfly said:

I have a big Joe, with KJ basket. I have used many brands of lump charcoal and liked Royal oak because of price. Unfortunately I also have been finding lots of rocks, big rocks, in my basket. I took photos and sent them to Royal oak, no word from them as yet. I got through several bags a month, the rocks add up!

I've talked to the owner of The Saint Louis Charcoal Company (makers of Rockwood lump charcoal) on the phone on two separate occasions for about 30 minutes each phone call. He knows basically everything there is to know about lump. The reality is rocks can get into a bag. It's sort of the nature of the process when mass producing lump. He also assured me that they slightly overfill their bags (most companies do) just in case. Also if you ever find rocks in Rockwood just contact customer service and they'll make it right.