ckreef

Reef's Lump Comparison

My lump charcoal criteria is not a lot of small pieces and not a lot of sparks. I was once using lump that sparked a lot and one of the sparks hit me dead on the eyeball. A hot orange spark hitting you on the eyeball is not a pleasant experience and while it was healing it felt like a dry spot on my eye.

RO (regular) low-n-slow test underway. Go to post #4 on page #1. There is a link to watch the test/graph in real time. 

Here is the graph and the final picture from last night's RO low-n-slow 250* test. Once it dropped down to 200* I stopped the cook and saved the graph as a jpeg.

The firebox was only 3/4 way full. Since I have plenty of RO left I'm going to redo this test and run all the low-n-slow tests with a full Firebox. Will start this all over again next weekend but for now here is the initial attempt. 

659470302_l-n-sRORegular.thumb.jpg.7d3f1a6d1c56eb2eae2cc38f58cca179.jpg

lclRO.thumb.jpg.75dbf2a4ad811a1a7e7da8f58c2cfdae.jpg

I did my first cook with Big Block yesterday and initially I’m impressed. I will see how I feel about it after I use up the first bag and determine if it’s worth the extra money.

I started the redo of the low-n-slow RO (regular) test. This time I used a full Firebox of lump. Post #4 has the new link to see the test in real time. 

Will post the final graph and picture sometime tomorrow. 

Well folks a low-n-slow burn at 250* for 18 hours and 44 minutes using RO (regular) in the Primo Oval Jr. Graph and leftover picture in post #4. 

Can't wait to try out the harder lumps later this summer. 

12 minutes ago, Mccaf said:

Just curious, will BGE lump be tested?

BGE is rebranded RO lump so there would be no point in that. 

So, what’s the conclusion?  I’m getting a feeling there really is none, lol. 

I guess based on your burn tests-different Brands for certain applications and cooks?

So if I want HOT very fast, such as a pizza cook, I use the cheap schiza I get at HD or Lowe’s? If I have a 14 hour cook use KJ’s big block....

2 hours ago, Mccaf said:

I guess based on your burn tests-different Brands for certain applications and cooks?

So if I want HOT very fast, such as a pizza cook, I use the cheap schiza I get at HD or Lowe’s? If I have a 14 hour cook use KJ’s big block....

He's not done yet

9 hours ago, Mccaf said:

Definitely not done yet. I still have 9 more lumps to test in the low-n-slow department.

As for your last paragraph not sure I would make that conclusion. If you take price out of the equation Fogo Marabu is  currently the winner closely followed by Fogo Quebracho. Really any of the South American lumps (which includes KJ lump) performs better than the North American lumps. 

Really need to wait until all the rest of the tests are finished. For now I'll leave you with a statement we have at work (but I'll relate it to lump)..... 

Good lump isn't cheap...... 

Cheap lump isn't good.......