ckreef

Reef's Lump Comparison

Although not really part of this comparison I did add some pictures of a different type of charcoal that I bring out on special occasions. 

Komodo Kamado CocoChar 

An interesting charcoal. Check it out in post #5 on page #1. 

I used some of the Coco charcoal in the past. It was purchased from Richard Johnson when he

first started to import it and I still have a few boxes stored away. It's great stuff - burns hot and

long with little to no smoke. It is / was a bit pricey as I recall.

On 5/23/2019 at 6:12 AM, ckreef said:

Good lump isn't cheap...... 

Cheap lump isn't good....... 

Pretty much sums it up, if you bought a higher end kamado then buying good lump shouldn't be a strain on the budget. I never can wrap my head around the guys I see online with a new BGE in a table but it's sitting on a $1.00 paver and not spring for the $35.00 table nest, some of them end up charring their table.

8 hours ago, Burntweenie said:

Pretty much sums it up, if you bought a higher end kamado then buying good lump shouldn't be a strain on the budget. I never can wrap my head around the guys I see online with a new BGE in a table but it's sitting on a $1.00 paver and not spring for the $35.00 table nest, some of them end up charring their table.

I totally agree with you. Let me paraphrase something @CeramicChef use to preach about.

You got a Big Joe, LG BGE etc... You're closing in on $2k. Four lobster tails at $48, maybe a $60 brisket or a $80 chunk of prime rib. You then buy the cheapest, crappy lump you can find just to save a couple of dollars on that cook. Hmmmm........?. 

Or to look at things a bit differently - if lump that cost $1.50 per lb lasts twice as long as lump that costs $.75 per lb did it really cost more? 

2 hours ago, ckreef said:

I totally agree with you. Let me paraphrase something @CeramicChef use to preach about.

You got a Big Joe, LG BGE etc... You're closing in on $2k. Four lobster tails at $48, maybe a $60 brisket or a $80 chunk of prime rib. You then buy the cheapest, crappy lump you can find just to save a couple of dollars on that cook. Hmmmm........?. 

Or to look at things a bit differently - if lump that cost $1.50 per lb lasts twice as long as lump that costs $.75 per lb did it really cost more? 

I know- as I have had to kill that kind of thinking within myself. Though, it is now fairly a moot point as in the past year and a half the prices of the "cheaper" lump has risen even as their bag sizes have shrunk. I am going to stick with KJ for the forseeable future- as long as I can stock up via the Roadshows.

What I do need for my 2nd BJ however, is a KAB / KJ basket basket because it is extremely difficult- sans basket- to get that Big Block to higher temps. Especially on the second or third burn of the lump.

14 hours ago, ckreef said:

Spot on, but some people can't see the forest for all of the trees.

7 hours ago, Kamado Draggin' said:

I just posted in another lump thread, I think we need to start testing blends of charcoals LOL

I saw that. Not sure I'm up for all the various combinations. 

This lump comparison is going on hold for a few weeks until I get back from vacation. After that it'll be full on until I get all the low-n-slow comparisons done. 

Back from vacation time to get back on the lump comparisons. Low-n-slow RO XL Cut is going on now and should finish sometime tomorrow. For now you can check out the live graph - bottom of post #4 on page #1 

Dang, @ckreef this is a ton of work you've been doing. Much appreciated by me and all the members, I'm sure. I certainly wouldn't have the patience to do this. 

As for what I usually use,  it's generally whatever I can find which mostly turns out to be Royal Oak. Though Wal-Mart just started carrying Western so I'm now trying that since they were out of RO..  Results are mixed. Some really large chunks that should require John's axe method.

What I've begun doing since getting the Goldens is picking out lump from the bag rather than pouring the bag in. When I get near the bottom I tear the bag open and pick through the largest pieces, discarding most of the fines which can be significant. I'm probably not the only one who does this,  I'm sure. :)

-Dom

B&B Oak low-n-slow test underway. Link to the live graph at the bottom of post #4. 

This should be an interesting test. As you know for all these tests I've dump lump straight from the bag. This time 2 XL pieces went into the firebox. Well I poured a bit more lump in until the firebox was full. We'll see how this goes with the XL pieces down in there. 

The final results for the B&B Oak low-n-slow test have been posted in post #4. 

That was a really impressive burn. 25 hours and 49 minutes at 250*.

Also posted a summary of low-n-slow burn times at the bottom of post #4 

Next weekend we'll try Cowboy