ckreef

Reef's Lump Comparison

Posted the Cowboy low-n-slow pictures bottom of post #4. Total burn time 24:45. That was surprising. I guess it goes to show any lump will get you plenty of time for low-n-slow. 

It was a fairly unstable cook which would have driven most people mad without a controller. 

Wow, @ckreef really nice work here!! I've been doing my own research buying all the lumps I can find to see which works best for me. I just ran back to back low & slows for a total of 21 hours of straight running on Humphrey lump charcoal from PA with enough left to do a cleaning burn. Humphrey states they now package charcoal produced in Missouri so interested to know what other brands it might be sold under.

25 minutes ago, Kamado Tom said:

Wow, @ckreef really nice work here!! I've been doing my own research buying all the lumps I can find to see which works best for me. I just ran back to back low & slows for a total of 21 hours of straight running on Humphrey lump charcoal from PA with enough left to do a cleaning burn. Humphrey states they now package charcoal produced in Missouri so interested to know what other brands it might be sold under.

The Saint Louis Charcoal Company from St Louis Missouri, bags Rockwood. I imagine they probably bag that too. I did the Rockwood low-n-slow test last night and it just finished. Will post the results later today or tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, Burntweenie said:

@ckreef what charcoal do you have left to test before we get the final results?

I did Rockwood last Saturday but still need to post the results. 5 bags left. Will do the next one this Saturday (I think it's KJ big block's turn) 

The final 4 are all from Fogo 

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

I did Rockwood last Saturday but still need to post the results. 5 bags left. Will do the next one this Saturday (I think it's KJ big block's turn) 

The final 4 are all from Fogo 

Saving the best for last.

Last Saturday night I did the Rockwood low-n-slow test. Initially it went out. I will blame that on myself for taking to long to close down the fan damper and top vent. This caused a big overshoot and the fan turned off. It stayed off long enough for the coals to go out. When I realized what had happened I immediately fired it back up and let the test continue. This is why it took longer than 1 hour to stabilize. 

Anyway after all that it rolled along. I was a bit disappointed in the results. It was a fairly unstable burn and there was a bunch of unburnt lump leftover in the end. 

Anyway graph and leftover picture in post #4. 

Tonight I'll do the KJ Big Block low-n-slow test. I am having guests over tonight so my time on the Guru will be limited. I'll try and post the live graph along the way. If interested check post #4 later this evening. 

On 7/20/2019 at 6:31 PM, ckreef said:

KJ Big Block L-n-S is off to a good start. Live graph post at the bottom of post #4

Currently at 27:00. Time to go to bed. Hopefully the alarm will wake me otherwise I'll figure it out in the morning. 

This has been fun as hell to keep up on. Thanks for the time and effort. Newbie to the kamado game.

There is a brand called The Grove Charcoal Company from Cedar Grove, WI about 20 minutes from my house. Not sure how wide their market is, but I've read good and not so good reviews on it. Anyone else ever try it or use it? 

grove png.png

8 minutes ago, CannedHeat said:

This has been fun as hell to keep up on. Thanks for the time and effort. Newbie to the kamado game.

There is a brand called The Grove Charcoal Company from Cedar Grove, WI about 20 minutes from my house. Not sure how wide their market is, but I've read good and not so good reviews on it. Anyone else ever try it or use it? 

grove png.png

Never seen that one before. 

The KJ Big Block low-n-slow test this weekend had spectacular results. Will post the results later tonight when I get home and can take a picture of the leftover lump. 

It's been a fun experiment for me too. I still have 4 more low-n-slow tests before I finish that phase.