TexasBlues

Hobbies OTHER than Cooking?

Afternoon all!

I hope this day finds you all well, and for those that are suffering through something, a place of respite in which to roll around!

I am curious, do any of you have other hobbies besides cooking?

I understand that cooking can be time consuming, but since the kamado is so efficient at maintaining temps, that could prove to be an opportunity to multi-task... doing the other hobby while the cook is on...

I build plastic models, am in the process of resto-modding a couple of JEEP CJs, and I also like to do projects around the house.

what are some other things YOU like to do?

Thanks for posting!

F4U.jpg

JEEP1.jpg

JEEP2.jpg

I am in the process of beginning an early retirement. 6 more weeks to go.  My wife and I are about six months ahead of what we targeted for (60).

For the last four years, I have been both a volunteer and official for Track Bicycle racing at the Mattamy National Velodrome in Milton Ontario.  Have made some really good friends and love being there.  Too bad it's only a winter sport and I have to drive cross country for an hour to get there...  

I have just finished my training to begin volunteering at my local library.  They just opened a “paperless” library about 8 blocks from my house.  I am so looking forward to learning more about laser cutters, 3D printing, welding, soldering, etc.

I visit the Canadian Warplane Heritage in Hamilton a few times a year.  A senior guy there told me that they are always needing volunteers.  Turns out that any plane that they restore needs to be torn down and about 50 thousand rivets removed.  In his words, “We don't need Aviation Engineers, can you operate a drill?”  So that's kind of in the back of my mind.  Maybe when my buddy, “Captain Balsa” joins me in retirement next year...  https://www.warplane.com/

And finally, I just bought my first new bicycle in 25 years.  It's state of the art Carbon Fibre, is far too sexy for the owner, and is far far better than I need or deserve.  Hopefully I can drop some weight over the next year or so.  Tough to commit to when everytime I leave the side door, my Akorn calls out to me from the garage...

I like to play with my Mustang and spend lots of time in my H/T. I am currently upgrading my H/T to 4k capability and it's a real mess but it will be worth it when I am done. The main problem is that at my age I can't work on it for very long at a time.

My Mustang

5.jpg

engine.jpg

What my H/T did look like

HT-zps41fbc547-1.jpg

What it looks like now

upgrade.jpg

7 hours ago, JeffieBoy said:

I visit the Canadian Warplane Heritage in Hamilton a few times a year.  A senior guy there told me that they are always needing volunteers.  Turns out that any plane that they restore needs to be torn down and about 50 thousand rivets removed.  In his words, “We don't need Aviation Engineers, can you operate a drill?”  So that's kind of in the back of my mind.  Maybe when my buddy, “Captain Balsa” joins me in retirement next year...  https://www.warplane.com/

@JeffieBoy, thats really cool! i LOVE old airplanes... I hope you get to work on them soon... it's good for your insides (read as soul)

I want to become a volunteer at the CAF (Confederate Air Force) one day, but I think I have to move back to TX to do it... which is where I PLAN to retire and live out my last days... Spread my ashes in Palo Duro Canyon...

6 hours ago, retfr8flyr said:

I like to play with my Mustang and spend lots of time in my H/T. I am currently upgrading my H/T to 4k capability and it's a real mess but it will be worth it when I am done. The main problem is that at my age I can't work on it for very long at a time.

@retfr8flyr, i could not get your links to open... whats an H/T?

I forgot to mention that I make it a point to spend as much time as I can with my hero... my dad...

I have to drive 350 miles to get there but there's no distance too great... its worth it just to be in the same room as him and share his space and oxygen

12 hours ago, ckreef said:

Other than cooking my other hobby is going to work :(

I have no time for anything else these days :(

@ckreef, what do you do that eats up so much time, if I may ask...

I see that you and mrskreef spend a lot of time doing stuff together... thats excellent!

my lovely is my best friend, as lame as that sounds... its a special thing to have to be in love with the one you like... and vice versa

thanks for your responses!

1 hour ago, TexasBlues said:

@ckreef, what do you do that eats up so much time, if I may ask...

I see that you and mrskreef spend a lot of time doing stuff together... thats excellent!

my lovely is my best friend, as lame as that sounds... its a special thing to have to be in love with the one you like... and vice versa

thanks for your responses!

I literally work 12 hours a day 5 days a week and usually 8 hours on Saturday. Doesn't leave much time for anything else except cooking and going to bed. When Sunday comes I usually just want to hang at the house and relax. 

Me and Mrs skreef shoot a few games of pool most every night just before bed. 

I'm retired and, as my user name says, I play a lot of golf. Usually I will play 5 days a week during the summer. When it is too cold, wet, or snowy out I may go to the driving range, or to the mall to walk. I've lost 25 pounds since I retired. I cut down to two meals, and maybe a snack a day, and try to get some sort of exercise on a daily basis.

Hobbies other than cooking....

I own 3 bicycles. A fixie for on the flat or neighborhood tooling around , a flat bar road bike for fitness rides 3-5 times a week and a low end hybrid that is basically a backup for the other bikes if I'm  waiting on parts or something. This is my 52nd year of bicycling. I stay off well traveled roads as there  are motorists who don't really get the finer points of sharing the road. The odds of a detrimental conflict are building up for me.

I dive into any project that requires me to fix, restore, or modify to make something "right". This includes anything from fixing the broken toaster to home improvement-inside or outside.

I like trying to find good deals. This used to be easy but now one needs to wade thru reviews and stuff that is indeed a good deal but is not something that is appealing to buy. I.E. the men's size 5  purple and green bicycle shoe.

-used to golf a lot but I never really got any better over the years. I go out occasionally.

M.

I love woodworking and doing home improvement projects with my wife. We also like to go out on Saturdays, and troll thrift stores, and old furniture stores for stuff to rehab. I have also recently gotten into flying drones, but that is a bit of an expensive hobby.

9 hours ago, TexasBlues said:

@JeffieBoy, thats really cool! i LOVE old airplanes... I hope you get to work on them soon... it's good for your insides (read as soul)

I want to become a volunteer at the CAF (Confederate Air Force) one day, but I think I have to move back to TX to do it... which is where I PLAN to retire and live out my last days... Spread my ashes in Palo Duro Canyon...

@retfr8flyr, i could not get your links to open... whats an H/T?

I forgot to mention that I make it a point to spend as much time as I can with my hero... my dad...

I have to drive 350 miles to get there but there's no distance too great... its worth it just to be in the same room as him and share his space and oxygen

H/T stands for a home theater. Cab you see these.

HT_zps41fbc547 (1).JPG

AF1QipO4c_iUOriooCAGx_u6jsxP4HcPAGsqQkOJnC5F=s512-p-qv=pmk7vopk9jrikd0b2t64htgct4vsfm297,m=a8abfb65a781496020da8ae21f52af2b,x=,t=25-iv854.jpg

:shock:

that sir, is INSANE!

you did all of that yourself?

that is an incredible space...

i would never leave... that is of course until the bank came to repo the house because i quit going to work and paying for it

If you do a search for "bov stellfane" you'll find the telescopes I was making 15-20 years ago. 

Stellfane is a founding site for amateur telescope makers, and their annual convention is a great place for those who like to push glass by day, then capture ancient photons by night. This one now has a permanent home in Ionia, NY, and I learned a whole lot more about human vision! 

scope22c.jpg

Now, I do more cooking at the observatory than observing... here's the crowd I feed every summer.

RSF_2014_asras1_crop.thumb.jpg.34906559f053218022d770216f6ce59d.jpg

H/T is an acronym from a different forum. My H/T looks like a family room, but I'm also looking at ways to fit a quad of ceiling speakers, albeit with flat panels over projectors. The difference, I suspect, is that I design and build loudspeakers, and was lucky to start with a great room, acoustically.  Reading about folks struggling with acoustics can teach you a lot!

1109713261_NatPLlong_sm.thumb.jpg.e0fe7101b139df8687dca614983e7a22.jpg

But to be fare, this speaker is 10 years old... more recently, we inherited my Father-in-law's car, and that became a hobby - hypermiling. Nothing outlandish, but enough to convince me that lead-foot drivers waste a lot of gas! 

634866738_Layout_TuftTestphoto.thumb.jpg.69084a45ed53e80c4a90e2bfcc9ff912.jpg

And modern engineering does a pretty good job on aerodynamics!

HAve fun,

Frank