TexasBlues

Hobbies OTHER than Cooking?

A vintage Yamaha actually, with a stereo out. An APX10N.   Here’s the long answer on Music. I started off playing rock - (Hendrix, Deep Purple, Buddy Miles, Santana) And funk ( Sly & the Family Stone, Earth, Wind and Fire, Ohio players). Then graduating high school a friend turned me on to Frank Zappa. I was a liner notes person so I started listening to all of his musicians – George Duke, John Luke Ponty, The Brecker Brothers,   Chester Thompson, etc. So, obviously I then went into jazz until I became a Christian and  focused on gospel/any of the above mentioned styles. Haha. Mostly a jazz influenced mix of worship music now. 

12 hours ago, TKOBBQ said:

Playing with these.

Well I’m not a ford person but I can’t appreciate a man’s cars! I’m really not a Chrysler person but I just fell in love with how he fixed his car up. I’m currently biding my time waiting to obtain some incarnation of a 600+ hp Camaro

my computer must have a virus! I certainly didn't type- I'm not a fourth person!!!

Edited by CentralTexBBQ

WOW!

Nice Ponies @TKOBBQ!

nice shop too!... i see a 4 post lift back there... i should have put one in mine, but i have plans for the portable Bend-Pak that will give me 48" of clear height (I have 10' ceiling)...

if i push one out, i have to reel it back in using a boat trailer winch that i can bolt to the floor... not optimal, but it works in a pinch

upstairs in the shop, the plan is to build a home rock climbing gym

Since taking my new job (after getting laid of a year ago yesterday), my workday takes 12 hours out of my day, including commute. But back when I had time, I played guitar. Spent about 10 years in a bluegrass band during high school & college, then years playing alone in restaurants & such. Played in a few of my friends' bands for awhile, and now (when I catch a few free minutes) just for my own pleasure. 

One of life's highlights was having a guitar hand-built to my specs. Ken Miller guitar # 139.

DSC03619.thumb.JPG.1e0265f7ef32dd123aa0b80390d9557b.JPG

DSC03620.thumb.JPG.2d288df00d3665c7cf3d53e0c680f898.JPG

DSC03622.thumb.jpeg.9597f10e655256dbc593dc200f32e866.jpeg

DSC03625.thumb.JPG.c215c57ee861856f0e98690d381cb70c.JPG

16 minutes ago, Brick Pig said:

Since taking my new job (after getting laid of a year ago yesterday), my workday takes 12 hours out of my day, including commute. But back when I had time, I played guitar. Spent about 10 years in a bluegrass band during high school & college, then years playing alone in restaurants & such. Played in a few of my friends' bands for awhile, and now (when I catch a few free minutes) just for my own pleasure. 

One of life's highlights was having a guitar hand-built to my specs. Ken Miller guitar # 139.

DSC03619.thumb.JPG.1e0265f7ef32dd123aa0b80390d9557b.JPG

DSC03620.thumb.JPG.2d288df00d3665c7cf3d53e0c680f898.JPG

DSC03622.thumb.jpeg.9597f10e655256dbc593dc200f32e866.jpeg

DSC03625.thumb.JPG.c215c57ee861856f0e98690d381cb70c.JPG

that is simply a beautiful guitar... I bet it sounds as good as it looks or better even!

Hobbies for me other than cooking and grilling are woodworking and sports cars.

Just one of the many woodworking projects I've built -

DSCN4453_zpsk4ahywy1.jpg

And my 91 NSX -

DSCN3986_zpstcu4slbx.jpg

I also own a Miata which the Mrs has claimed as her own.  :-D

-lunchman

I want to have the hobby of woodworking but, the cost off all the necessary wood working equipment always turns me away! :-D

Before their divorce, a neighbor two doors down had a full-blown workshop in his basement. I still don't know how he moved that stuff out. He had every conceivable saw, planner, router, drill, etc.  and massive vacuum that overhung each station, with hoses to take all the sawdust away. The basement was spotless.

16 minutes ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

I want to have the hobby of woodworking but, the cost off all the necessary wood working equipment always turns me away! :-D

Before their divorce, a neighbor two doors down had a full-blown workshop in his basement. I still don't know how he moved that stuff out. He had every conceivable saw, planner, router, drill, etc.  and massive vacuum that overhung each station, with hoses to take all the sawdust away. The basement was spotless.

The basement wood shop is new for me, set up within the past year. It's not large at only 12x18, but it's sufficient. It beats what I had before which was the garage. Trying to maneuver tools around (bandsaw, drill press, table saw, miter saw, planer, router table, spindle sander, track saw, etc.) even on portable stands was a major headache, especially since the garage is used for two cars, one of which is the NSX. And forget trying to work in the winter. I've been out there when garage temps were in the 40s and it's no fun. I don't like pulling the NSX out in the winter (uncover and unplug) and I couldn't expect my wife to park her car in the driveway, so projects took a winter hiatus. On rainy days, although I'm okay with the NSX getting wet, it's not ideal as I'd need to wipe it down after putting it away. 

Although the shop is small and unheated, temps are reasonable in the winter with just a flannel shirt and vest. I've got excellent lighting, dust collection, air filtration and can work on projects, close the shop door for the night and not worry about needing to store tools away. 

I am big on camping/ Bushcraft, but the window of opportunity that I get to go out into the woods is minimal these days. Anymore, I am enjoying cooking so much more then ever. I grew up around home cooked meals, nothing from a box. And while I was never taught, I learned by merely watching and just progressed. 

My other hobby includes being a Case XX Knife Collector. 

0A8C14A1-9271-4730-8A12-B1CEEE1EF7C3.thumb.jpeg.1434c101573fbe3e2a0eefd93f26934b.jpeg

12 hours ago, DEW said:

No way - needs some pinball!! :)

I concede, I know a good idea when I hear it. It needs air hockey and pinball. Nothing less, expectations have been set. Now that it is settled, will you be serving brisket tonight?

5 hours ago, bushcraft_joe said:

I am big on camping/ Bushcraft, but the window of opportunity that I get to go out into the woods is minimal these days. Anymore, I am enjoying cooking so much more then ever. I grew up around home cooked meals, nothing from a box. And while I was never taught, I learned by merely watching and just progressed. 

My other hobby includes being a Case XX Knife Collector. 

0A8C14A1-9271-4730-8A12-B1CEEE1EF7C3.thumb.jpeg.1434c101573fbe3e2a0eefd93f26934b.jpeg

Nice looking knife collection.