TexasBlues

Hobbies OTHER than Cooking?

2 hours ago, SCfb75 said:

If I had the space I would love to get a pool table.

Never thought I had enough space. After careful measuring and placing it just right in the room turns out an 8' table really did fit. 

rgrA.thumb.jpg.5395fd7a12d96f95aa6d932142e85224.jpg

rgrB.thumb.jpg.ce1230f8cbfc20e0fa334ec4df1bdaf4.jpg

30 minutes ago, ckreef said:

Never thought I had enough space. After careful measuring and placing it just right in the room turns out an 8' table really did fit. 

rgrA.thumb.jpg.5395fd7a12d96f95aa6d932142e85224.jpg

rgrB.thumb.jpg.ce1230f8cbfc20e0fa334ec4df1bdaf4.jpg

I would have to get rid of the couch first.

basement.jpg

24 minutes ago, SCfb75 said:

I would have to get rid of the couch first.

basement.jpg

Bye bye couch. :)

Your room definitely looks big enough. 

Drug discovery chemist turned stay at home dad to two young ones.   When everyone else is asleep I make some sawdust.  

Thanks to @ckreef I started rehandleing japanese kitchen knives for fun and profit.  You can find my Instagram @Bensbites.  If you dig into it, you can find my KJ.  

Here are a few recent examples  of sawdust that went right. 

4393E42F-49F6-433A-9319-B4E7D83C6D56.jpeg

66AFB975-FEE5-4936-836B-2AE311650271.jpeg

C75B4747-D48B-48B6-84AE-625341331C7C.jpeg

6BF07574-0339-4113-9620-38262BB9ACD3.jpeg

BF7E6074-C075-4744-8C8E-CF9CBCC6618D.jpeg

@Ben S Wow!!!

You have come a long way since those first handles. Those are some really awesome looking handles. 

One of these days I need to get a few more knives to send your way. 

3 hours ago, ckreef said:

@Ben S Wow!!!

You have come a long way since those first handles. Those are some really awesome looking handles. 

One of these days I need to get a few more knives to send your way. 

Anytime.  I am banging them out for a few weeks now while I recover from hernia surgery.  

On 5/27/2019 at 11:24 PM, Ben S said:

Drug discovery chemist turned stay at home dad to two young ones.   When everyone else is asleep I make some sawdust.  

Thanks to @ckreef I started rehandleing japanese kitchen knives for fun and profit.  You can find my Instagram @Bensbites.  If you dig into it, you can find my KJ.  

Here are a few recent examples  of sawdust that went right. 

miss seeing your posts Ben OR as I like to remember, Mewantkj... :-D

1 hour ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

miss seeing your posts Ben OR as I like to remember, Mewantkj... :-D

Thanks buddy.  I realized mewantKJ was not valid since I have one of each size.  

Maybe someone will replace my BJ1 and KJC2 with gen 3s.  I don’t believe in Santa... 

I play guitar - mainly acoustic flatpicking/bluegrass now, but have been in plenty of bands in the past (and yes a grateful dead cover band in the 90's  if my avatar didn't give that away). 

I also am an avid fisherman.  I used to fish tournaments on a regional/state level.  Had twins and stopped all together.  Sold my 22' ranger and now have an awesome fishing kayak that doesn't get used enough.

I also coached swimming for years and I am a national level USA swim official - I will return to coaching very soon as I am nearing retirement from my "real" job. 

I also enjoy camping with my family.  We have a seasonal site in a nice campground in land between the lakes, with a plethora of cooking devices (weber 22" kettle, weber 22" smoker, camper gas grill (for hot dogs), and a 36" blackstone.  We have fun and eat well there. 

I've done a number of things over the years.  Once upon a time I was a serious computer hobbyist.  I built computers, wrote software and operated a BBS.  All of this before the internet was a thing.  Everything was dial up.  A message board or BBS would dial other systems late at night and share files/data/messages with others.  That's how I met Mrs philpom, we might be the first ever couple to meet "online".  Now I manage computer technology and delivery professionally so the fun is gone.  I have over the years designed and built some Home Theater PC's, built out some Linux servers for personal use but that's really faded.  Maybe again when I retire.

I was really in to Nitro RC for a long while, mostly 1:8 and 1:10 scale 4x4 monster trucks.  Talk about expensive!  A grand or more in a custom struck, one 40 mph wreck and spend night after night doing a complete rebuild.  Always some upgrade to do (titanium suspension, new wishbones, EZ-flow exhaust etc etc.  After about 10 years I gifted all of my trucks and "stuff" to my nephew.

The two things that have remained steady through the years, gardening and cooking.  We have kept a vegetable garden every year we have been married - almost 23 years.  We also despise eating out and prefer to cook all of our meals.  This has lead to great growth in our culinary skills.  Cooking is like science to me, fun fun!

Beyond that I work a full time job, I serve on the board of a non-profit as President and Chairman of the board.  I spend every spare moment doing improvements at our mountain top cabin and enjoy watching the grass grow at our city home.  No time for much more.  I also have young children so there is cello and ballet every week.  

What a fantastic array of interests you all have

I'm a semi-retired logistics manager with several interests that included squash, mountain biking, angling, photography, and cinematography to name few.

My main hobbies are Human History (archaeology) and Natural History of which I'm actively involved.

With regards to the archaeology interest, I work within a small team of 3 people and we have both a website and a Flickr account.

The website gives a little detail about what we do and the Flickr site depicts some of the fruits of our labour.

Our website can be found at  https://www.recoveryofhistory.com/

For anyone who would like to see some Iron Age, Roman, and Medieval artefacts, high definition images can be seen here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/80501866@N00/sets/

3D images of some of the above finds can be seen here: https://sketchfab.com/paulking/models

This is a new aspect of my photographic interest called photogrammetry. It took me a while before I could say that too!

You may find this bit quite interesting?

Thank you for letting me part of your superb forum.

Combining hobbies, picked up a 13 lb grass fed/finished humanely rasised/harvested brisket straight from the farm 2.5 hours away. How you carry a full packer brisket on a motorcycle! Main course for my annual 4th of July party.

20190622_171544.jpg