Hobbies OTHER than Cooking?

TexasBlues

New friend and first extended road trip camp. Icluded 1 cheat. It was not to far from her home and her son brought us charcoal, ice and a cooler. Won't be cooking steaks on vaca with no cooler. Will be sampling local food mostly. Instant oatmeal and coffee for breakfast with fried summer sausage and granola bars. Not all at once, just packable menu

Thank's for the reactions, I am really liking this woman. She told me I must get a bigger tent and air mattress. Done, but it is a challenge to cook in camp travelling on two wheels. I want to bring my home cooking knowledge to bike camping. Deb saved the day cooking the potatoes, I was burning everything in the mess kit pan when she thought to boil the taters first. Much better. Have a really cool butane stove for backpacking that is awesome. Motorcycle camping and cooking is close to backpacking space, but you can handle a little more weight.

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 6:47 AM, retfr8flyr said:

I like to play with my Mustang and spend lots of time in my H/T. I am currently upgrading my H/T to 4k capability and it's a real mess but it will be worth it when I am done. The main problem is that at my age I can't work on it for very long at a time.

My Mustang

5.jpg

engine.jpg

What my H/T did look like

HT-zps41fbc547-1.jpg

What it looks like now

upgrade.jpg

Good looking engine bay, I can tell you put a lot of work in.  Did you change the internals to accommodate the increased HP?  What year is your Mustang?  I have an '08 Shelby GT; its not the more commonly known GT500, but a low volume model that came from the Shelby American shop in Las Vegas if you are not familiar with them.

The home theater looked great to begin with, and I am sure that Version 2 will be even better.

12 hours ago, S. Madrid said:

Good looking engine bay, I can tell you put a lot of work in.  Did you change the internals to accommodate the increased HP?  What year is your Mustang?  I have an '08 Shelby GT; its not the more commonly known GT500, but a low volume model that came from the Shelby American shop in Las Vegas if you are not familiar with them.

The home theater looked great to begin with, and I am sure that Version 2 will be even better.

Thanks for the compliments S. Madrid. My Stang is an 06 and has a fully built engine, to go with the turbos, along a lot of other upgrades. I don't drive it much now, due to some medical issues. I am familiar with the Shelby GT and it's a nice ride. I have had a lot of setbacks on getting my H/T finished, death in the family and medical problems for me, so it's still not finished but hopefully I will get it done one day.

14 hours ago, TKOBBQ said:

@S. Madrid Thanks, 67FB S code and a 69 Coupe.  It had a 22 x 22 when we purchased it, I added on a 26 x 32 addition, so it's 53' deep with a 4' kick out for work bench/storage area.

So, '67, '69, '70 and what looks like an '02?    That is a collection to be proud of. '67 fastback has always been my favorite car of all time.  Having that much space to keep them and work on them as needed is also impressive.  

6 hours ago, retfr8flyr said:

Thanks for the compliments S. Madrid. My Stang is an 06 and has a fully built engine, to go with the turbos, along a lot of other upgrades. I don't drive it much now, due to some medical issues. I am familiar with the Shelby GT and it's a nice ride. I have had a lot of setbacks on getting my H/T finished, death in the family and medical problems for me, so it's still not finished but hopefully I will get it done one day.

Let me start with my condolences for your loss and hope your medical issues get resolved.  Nice with the built engine, I have seen too many people with the 4.6 slap on forced induction of some sort and a few months later.....Boom....they grenade the engine.  I love my Shelby and the look of the S197 body style, in my opinion, some costs were cut with the engine internals, especially with Ford knowing there is a strong Mustang aftermarket. 

Hobbies other than cooking.....well, I have a few but the main ones would be- My 2008 Shelby GT; my son and I have modded it quite a bit, the entire front suspension has be replaced with BMR parts, as well as most of the rear suspension. In the engine bay, we replaced the induction system and added long tube headers and also some dressup items.  I had the cams replaced with some Ford Performance parts for the old school 'lope' to the engine. We also changed some interior and exterior parts as well.

Next up is woodworking, my wife has been after me for a 'farm table' for years and when we built the house I finally had space for tools and projects.  I build tables and other minor stuff, and continue to work on different joinery techniques.  

Bowhunting/3D Archery is next, I can shoot up to 40yds in my backyard and most days, before work, I go out and shoot about 100 arrows from various distances.  My son wanted a bow for his high school graduation gift so he gets out and shoots with me when we are both home.  It's nice just to be able to go out in the back yard when its quiet out and practice.

Other than that, pretty much anything outdoors or fitness related, before I leave North Carolina, I will do some section hikes of the Appalachian Trail with one of my daughters.  

Grays Greek Car Show Second Place Overall.JPG

Table_Build_Staining_(8).jpg

SM_Compound_Bow_(2).jpg

New Intake and Throttle Body Install (16).jpg

I'm an avid reader / book collector, and also do photography.  My most unusual hobby is that I play with antique construction equipment.  I'm a member of the Historical Construction Equipment Association (HCEA.net) and meet with a local chapter about once a week.  We restore old machinery and engines.  As a side of this, in the summer I frequently go to antique tractor shows, where I take lots of pictures.  Here are some snapshots I've taken at recent events:

267358409_P7270474(Medium).thumb.JPG.0a1092accdc638ac3c00fc4fef0f2969.JPG

P4270752 (Medium).JPG

P4270603 (Medium).JPG

P4270620 (Medium).JPG

P4270540 (Medium).JPG

30 minutes ago, Loremaster72 said:

I'm an avid reader / book collector, and also do photography.  My most unusual hobby is that I play with antique construction equipment.  I'm a member of the Historical Construction Equipment Association (HCEA.net) and meet with a local chapter about once a week.  We restore old machinery and engines.  As a side of this, in the summer I frequently go to antique tractor shows, where I take lots of pictures.  Here are some snapshots I've taken at recent events:

P4270752 (Medium).JPG

P4270603 (Medium).JPG

P4270620 (Medium).JPG

P4270540 (Medium).JPG

This is certainly interesting, and something I had not heard of before.  I'm not surprised that there is a hobby like this though.  I'm guessing you have some great fabricators to make parts for these machines?

16 hours ago, S. Madrid said:

So, '67, '69, '70 and what looks like an '02?    That is a collection to be proud of. '67 fastback has always been my favorite car of all time.  Having that much space to keep them and work on them as needed is also impressive.  

The 69 is a friend of mines, I was actually doing a disc brake conversion for him.  The newer one is a 01GT, our 10th anniversary gift to each other is basically stock but has a Mach 1 shaker hood/shaker on it.  The 67 is a handful with the motor that's in it, originally a 390 that is bored, Edelbrock Aluminum heads and intake.  If I remember correctly it specs out to a 410cu. in. motor.   The 69/70's are my favorites, the one pictured was a 30th Birthday gift from my wife.  The 70 is getting ready to be completely redone.  It's a M code, auto car.  Motors done 351C roller motor and has a AOD behind it with 3.73 gears.  Plans include a complete Street or Track coilover suspension utilizing a 3-link setup in the rear.  Adding AC and hydro boost brakes.  Already installed front/rear discs from a 03/04 Cobra.

15 hours ago, S. Madrid said:

Hobbies other than cooking.....well, I have a few but the main ones would be- My 2008 Shelby GT; my son and I have modded it quite a bit, the entire front suspension has be replaced with BMR parts, as well as most of the rear suspension. In the engine bay, we replaced the induction system and added long tube headers and also some dressup items.  I had the cams replaced with some Ford Performance parts for the old school 'lope' to the engine. We also changed some interior and exterior parts as well.

Next up is woodworking, my wife has been after me for a 'farm table' for years and when we built the house I finally had space for tools and projects.  I build tables and other minor stuff, and continue to work on different joinery techniques.  

Bowhunting/3D Archery is next, I can shoot up to 40yds in my backyard and most days, before work, I go out and shoot about 100 arrows from various distances.  My son wanted a bow for his high school graduation gift so he gets out and shoots with me when we are both home.  It's nice just to be able to go out in the back yard when its quiet out and practice.

Other than that, pretty much anything outdoors or fitness related, before I leave North Carolina, I will do some section hikes of the Appalachian Trail with one of my daughters.  

Grays Greek Car Show Second Place Overall.JPG

Table_Build_Staining_(8).jpg

SM_Compound_Bow_(2).jpg

New Intake and Throttle Body Install (16).jpg

Nice looking Shelby sounds like you all have done some nice mods to it.  The farm table looks very nice.  You definitely have a diverse array of hobbies.

7 hours ago, Loremaster72 said:

P4270752 (Medium).JPG

P4270603 (Medium).JPG

P4270620 (Medium).JPG

P4270540 (Medium).JPG

That some cool looking equipment, sounds like an interesting hobby.  Photography has always piqued my interest but I've never been really good at it. 

6 hours ago, TKOBBQ said:

The 69 is a friend of mines, I was actually doing a disc brake conversion for him.  The newer one is a 01GT, our 10th anniversary gift to each other is basically stock but has a Mach 1 shaker hood/shaker on it.  The 67 is a handful with the motor that's in it, originally a 390 that is bored, Edelbrock Aluminum heads and intake.  If I remember correctly it specs out to a 410cu. in. motor.   The 69/70's are my favorites, the one pictured was a 30th Birthday gift from my wife.  The 70 is getting ready to be completely redone.  It's a M code, auto car.  Motors done 351C roller motor and has a AOD behind it with 3.73 gears.  Plans include a complete Street or Track coilover suspension utilizing a 3-link setup in the rear.  Adding AC and hydro boost brakes.  Already installed front/rear discs from a 03/04 Cobra.

Nice looking Shelby sounds like you all have done some nice mods to it.  The farm table looks very nice.  You definitely have a diverse array of hobbies.

As I said before, it is an impressive collection and great that you turn the wrenches on them.  It's nice that you and your wife both enjoy the cars.  My wife found the Shelby for me and it became a retirement gift when I left active duty.  Since then, the Shelby has become kind of a tongue-in-cheek 'issue'....for example, when we built the house, the original floorplan had a decent size two car garage.  Nope, I looked at the plans and told the builder to add a third garage, just for the Shelby.  The other running joke is that if there is more than a 3% chance of rain....the Shelby stays home.  

There are a few other mods, like a front brake cooling kit/fog lights and misc stuff here and there but I have resisted the urge and constant prodding by my son to add forced induction of some type.  I prefer to keep it NA and don't mind that it doesn't have some astronomical HP number.  I am thinking about an Eaton diff and 3.73s with a solid driveline and that may be about it.  I could easily go overboard but want to keep the essence of the car close to what Carroll had in mind.  

All of that aside, what I like best about that car is that it is a low-volume production and was built at Shelby American.  I like the GT500s but I can see 8-10 a day, there is only one other car like mine I have seen around where I live and I like that.

Thanks for the compliment on the table, I asked my wife how she wanted it and she said 'rustic' so I kept it basic.  It's been nice to be able to seat everyone when we have family and friends over.  I built a couple of desks for my office but will probably tear those apart and build something different.  I have also made a few end grain cutting boards which has been a nice easy project.  The big project when I get back is a table to house both the Big Joe and my Weber Kettle.  I have picked up a few ideas off this forum and other places and sketched it up.  I generally refer to plans, but adapt them as I go along so we will see how that turns out.

Cutting_Board_3_(17).jpg