John Setzler

My first cook on The Kamado Joe Classic 3

I did an overnight cook last night of a 10lb boston butt on the Kamado Joe Classic 3 grill with the SloROLLER installed.  

20190409_204700.jpg

Of course, I seasoned it with the Man Cave Meals AP and Pork Mojo from Atlanta Grill Company.  

20190410_075346.jpg

I made this shot this morning after the butt had been on for about 10 hours.  The internal temp of the meat at this stage in the cook was 184°F.  

20190410_110647.jpg

This photo was just over 14 hours into the cook and the internal temp was 201°F.   I pulled it off at this point, double wrapped it in foil and let it rest for 2.5 hours in the cooler..........

20190410_142927.jpg

Then I pulled it.... perfect results....

20190410_142933.jpg

Nice deep smoke ring throughout the surface of this meat as well...  

Darn fine looking cook Mr Setzler!

I have often thought of attempting one while I am work... but I do not posses the testicular fortitude to leave an unattended fire at home... not even in my Primo

25 minutes ago, TexasBlues said:

I have often thought of attempting one while I am work... but I do not posses the testicular fortitude to leave an unattended fire at home... not even in my Primo

There are plenty of electronics companies prepared to sell you a solution to that fear.

14 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

There are plenty of electronics companies prepared to sell you a solution to that fear.

Agreed, and i do own a SmoBot that I like a great deal...

theres just something about an unattended fire that does not sit well with me... especially since my grill is on an elevated deck and my dogs are knuckle-heads

16 minutes ago, TexasBlues said:

Agreed, and i do own a SmoBot that I like a great deal...

theres just something about an unattended fire that does not sit well with me... especially since my grill is on an elevated deck and my dogs are knuckle-heads

Does the smobot solve the dog issue?

1 hour ago, TexasBlues said:

I understand the concern. The hooded cap on my KJ alleviated at least 95% of my fear. If an ember where to make it past the deflector plates, grates, meat, etc. It's going to hit that hood and die. I have seen gales force plus winds that caused embers to exit the ash drawer but, a simple spin of the Kamado in a direfferent direction and that concern is gone. The last thing then is the Kamado overturning. My first Big Joe was on my patio when the remnants of a hurricane blew threw– 45mph sustained and gusts to 75mph. That nest never budged. I just make sure I set the wheel locks... :-D

2 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

My first Big Joe was on my patio when the remnants of a hurricane blew threw– 45mph sustained and gusts to 75mph. That nest never budged. I just make sure I set the wheel locks... :-D

Don’t underestimate the power of wind (and water). During a nor’easter, I had an 8-foot trampoline blow from the middle of my fenced side yard, down the yard, up and over a 7 foot fence, down my driveway, across the street, up my across-the-street-neighbor’s yard, and peg against HIS fence. Luckily no one was hurt. I didn’t know that happened until my next door neighbor knocked, and asked, while point to my trampoline on my neighbor’s lawn, “ummm, is that your trampoline?”

Same house was flooded by Sandy. It “might” have been cursed.

Have since got rid of that house... along with the headaches (including, but but not limited to, the spouse) that came with it!

2 minutes ago, David Parrish said:

Do you have pics of the cook in process?  Curious also on whether you would use a water pan.

I made a video out of this cook that will publish tomorrow.  There is no need for water pans in kamado grills. 

23 minutes ago, Baby Back Maniac said:

Nice cook, John.

I still think it's cool you are selling your own rubs now. 

I'm not actually in the rub business.  These are Atlanta Grill Company rubs that are co-branded with Man Cave Meals.  I don't make money on these.  I supplied the recipe for the rubs and my logo graphics.  This gives me a little publicity and lets me promote my brand with no cost on my part.  I researched getting into the rub business and then decided without going full scale into making and packaging them myself that it was not very profitable.