John Setzler

My first cook on The Kamado Joe Classic 3

1 minute ago, John Setzler said:

I'm not actually in the rub business.  These are Atlanta Grill Company rubs that are co-branded with Man Cave Meals.  I don't make money on these.  I supplied the recipe for the rubs and my logo graphics.  This gives me a little publicity and lets me promote my brand with no cost on my part.  I researched getting into the rub business and then decided without going full scale into making and packaging them myself that it was not very profitable.  

Interesting. Yeah, I know a guy who sells a fantastic rub and it didn't seem worth the trouble after he explained it all to me. He doesn't have the same social media presence as you though. 

9 minutes ago, shuley said:

Man that looks awesome.  We're there any differences when cooking with the slow roller?  In terms of both flavor and fire management? 

No difference in fire management... This is the first time I have cooked with the SLoROLLER so I am still understanding it as well.  Based on my first cook, there is a possibility that the convection inside the Kamado is improved.  This cook finished faster than I would have expected by about an hour.  But we all know that butts don't follow any rules so I would have to see reduced cooking times consistently for a while to draw that conclusion.  I am gonna cook a chicken on it tomorrow just to see how it does.  I am gonna get a whole chicken, truss it, and then roast it at 450-ish and see how the SLoROLLER works out in that cook.  If convection is better with the SLoROLLER I expect to see those results on a chicken.  I don't know if this thing is a flavor improver or not yet.  In theory, through it's unique convection patterns, it should roll the smoke inside the kamado in a much improved way based on the computer models.  Translating that into subjective taste improvements is up to the owner probably.   There is a video out that shows some of those computer models but I have't gotten the KJ group to load it on YouTube yet so I can share it here.  It's on facebook here:

Awesome.... we can embed facebook video here now... hope that is visible....

50 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

No difference in fire management... This is the first time I have cooked with the SLoROLLER so I am still understanding it as well.  Based on my first cook, there is a possibility that the convection inside the Kamado is improved.  This cook finished faster than I would have expected by about an hour.  But we all know that butts don't follow any rules so I would have to see reduced cooking times consistently for a while to draw that conclusion.  I am gonna cook a chicken on it tomorrow just to see how it does.  I am gonna get a whole chicken, truss it, and then roast it at 450-ish and see how the SLoROLLER works out in that cook.  If convection is better with the SLoROLLER I expect to see those results on a chicken.  I don't know if this thing is a flavor improver or not yet.  In theory, through it's unique convection patterns, it should roll the smoke inside the kamado in a much improved way based on the computer models.  Translating that into subjective taste improvements is up to the owner probably.   There is a video out that shows some of those computer models but I have't gotten the KJ group to load it on YouTube yet so I can share it here.  It's on facebook here:

Awesome.... we can embed facebook video here now... hope that is visible....

You are definitely right about butts being highly variable and chicken being a good test.  This product definitely has me intrigued. 

Just watched the vid, looks great. The question I have is if you did not cook the butt in the pan then all of the drippings would go down the slo roller and outside of the firebox creating a pool of juices at the bottom of the kamado. So, a drip pan would be needed. If using the grate level flush with the bottom gasket it looks as though there is not enough room for a pan. Normally when using just the heat deflector and say no pan, the juices would go down the heat deflector and onto the fire? I have not had my first cook on a kamado yet so I am just asking the question. Thank you. 

53 minutes ago, ebterrier said:

Just watched the vid, looks great. The question I have is if you did not cook the butt in the pan then all of the drippings would go down the slo roller and outside of the firebox creating a pool of juices at the bottom of the kamado. So, a drip pan would be needed. If using the grate level flush with the bottom gasket it looks as though there is not enough room for a pan. Normally when using just the heat deflector and say no pan, the juices would go down the heat deflector and onto the fire? I have not had my first cook on a kamado yet so I am just asking the question. Thank you. 

No.. the grease would run into the firebox.  There are some grease channels in the sloroller that channel the grease properly.

On 4/11/2019 at 1:48 PM, John Setzler said:

No difference in fire management... I am gonna cook a chicken on it tomorrow just to see how it does.  I am gonna get a whole chicken, truss it, and then roast it at 450-ish and see how the SLoROLLER works out in that cook.

Hmmmm, 450°-ish? What is the max temp on the SLoRoller again John?

12 hours ago, John Setzler said:

No.. the grease would run into the firebox.  There are some grease channels in the sloroller that channel the grease properly.

Wow, that's great news! That was my #1 concern. Now, if I can just figure out where that grease is going and what it's doing in the firebox. :-D

On 4/13/2019 at 8:27 AM, John Setzler said:

So it just burns up in the firebox ? No greasy mess in the bottom ? 

Not to slow the roll, but the sloroller seems like a solution in search of a problem. While interesting on the engineering/air flow modeling stuff, the inside chamber of a KJ is pretty small, so on a smoke cook, it would seem that the interior would be well saturated with plenty of smoke, with or without the sloroller.

Maybe I’m wrong, but it seems like a mere gimmick, albeit a well-engineered and -constructed gimmick, since it is, after all, a KJ product.