20190410_TempChart.jpg

Here's an interesting bit of data I collected (and fat fingered the 22 at 3am.. should be 12)....  I cooked a 10lb boston butt at 250-ish degrees.  Once I had the kamado settled at 250, it stayed between 240 and 260 all night.  The meat was still slighly frozen in the center when I put it on.  

Stall behavior is funny.  It never really follows the same pattern.  Stalls are longer when you cook at lower temps obviously.  When I am not cooking overnight, I cook at hotter temps and you don't even notice a stall usually.  300°F is my normal 'low and slow' cooking temperature for a boston butt.  I don't spend much time looking at numbers like this, but I think I'll probably do another 10 pounder sometime soon and cook it at 300 just for comparison.  300 degrees usually, but not always, gets the cook into the 1 hour per pound realm.  This cook went for 14 hours.  I would expect 9-11 hours at 300f...

Had a similar experience earlier this year with a Costco prime brisket I did on my offset.

It was approximately 15 pounds and blew through the stall temp range with no hesitation.

Total cook time was 10 hours at ~250 deg. Final meat temp was ~200 deg. and probe tender.

A few weeks ago I did two more 15 pound prime briskets on the offset - same as before.

Used a temp probe in each brisket and the two temperatures tracked within a degree or two of

each other. Both briskets hit the stall stage in the 160 ish degree range and sat there for a

long time. Total cook time was 15 hours with a final temp of ~200 degrees and probe tender.

Go figure.

9 hours ago, John Setzler said:

Here's an interesting bit of data I collected (and fat fingered the 22 at 3am.. should be 12)....

Did your thermometer keep track of these hourly data points for you?  What unit are you using?

I've been really interested in some of the time-series graphs you posted.  Your mention of fat-fingering leads me to conclude that you were typing the data into a spreadsheet to display here.  But when my current unit bites the dust I wouldn't mind upgrading to something that I can download all the objective data from the cook.

OH... and thanks for all you do here, John.  Between this forum and your YouTube channel I've pretty much abandoned all my other online meat cooking resources. :-D

14 minutes ago, GRod said:

OH... and thanks for all you do here, John.  Between this forum and your YouTube channel I've pretty much abandoned all my other online meat cooking resources. :-D

I agree. That is why I became a site supporter.

1 hour ago, GRod said:

Did your thermometer keep track of these hourly data points for you?  What unit are you using?

I've been really interested in some of the time-series graphs you posted.  Your mention of fat-fingering leads me to conclude that you were typing the data into a spreadsheet to display here.  But when my current unit bites the dust I wouldn't mind upgrading to something that I can download all the objective data from the cook.

I was getting the data from a Flame Boss graph and just typing it in.  Some of these systems will let you download that data into various file formats and I believe comma delimited is one of them.   I haven't investigated any of htem that far because I usually never go back and look at the data for anything.

2 hours ago, HoserJoe said:

Surprised it took that long and now wonder it didn't stall.  0 lb Boston butt.  I'm guessing it didn't feed many either....

Yer right.  0 lbs should have cooked instantly.  Dunno why that took 14 hours.  My grill must be broke.

18 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I wanna look at these numbers again while cooking at 300°F.  I should have watched these numbers when I did the 400 degree cooks too.

275 - 315 degrees is what is written Franklin's BBQ book and I have had another BBQ Guru tell me he uses higher cooking temperatures also .

I am going to use a higher temperature on a ham shank this weekend .

I have a 8 lbs Boston butt on today. My plans were to put it on at 3 a.m to do a long low and slow. But it was one of those evenings I just couldn't get out of bed:). So I put it on at 7:30 am and using your 300-degree cooking method where once the bark is set at approximately the 2-hour  you wrap it in a lasagna pan and add a small amount of Apple juice to the pan. Just out of curiosity with that missing stall cook that you did was the pork wrapped at all? Since it wasn't defrosted all the way is it possible that had something to do with the missing stall?

4 hours ago, Ron5850 said:

I have a 8 lbs Boston butt on today. My plans were to put it on at 3 a.m to do a long low and slow. But it was one of those evenings I just couldn't get out of bed:). So I put it on at 7:30 am and using your 300-degree cooking method where once the bark is set at approximately the 2-hour  you wrap it in a lasagna pan and add a small amount of Apple juice to the pan. Just out of curiosity with that missing stall cook that you did was the pork wrapped at all? Since it wasn't defrosted all the way is it possible that had something to do with the missing stall?

My cook didn't miss a stall.  It just didn't stall at one temp and hold there for a long time.  That cook took as long as I would have expected it to under any normal circumstances.