Sign in to follow this  
John Setzler

The Kamado Joe SLoROLLER

2 hours ago, John Setzler said:

@ckreef can you see the video embedded in the above post?

I can see it. Great video. One of these days I'm going to get a KJ 3 just to try it out. It looks like they have come a long way since the early days of massive cracked fire bowls. I do recommend KJ to people who ask me. I should probably have first hand knowledge if I'm going to recommend them. 

Not that I need another kamado and I'm sure Mrs skreef would kill me - although that's never stopped me before B)

19 hours ago, pmillen said:

My pop-up blocker or ad blocker may be preventing me from seeing it.  I could white-list this site but I'll just wait until I see something elsewhere.

They finally got it on youtube so i embedded the youtube version in the original message as well...

15 minutes ago, Benneko0 said:

I've found a screenshot on another forum that the slojoe will perform best with the III models. I've only recently purchased a classic II and I'm a bit concerned it's outdated already... 

Don't be ..

Just like everything these days is outdated when you buy it .

It is more how you Cook vesus the flashy tools you cook on .

I'm not sold on this

I think its just innovation for innovations sake

There is more to Smoke Flavor and Penetration than just deflector design, so while i'm sure this will work just fine, I dont see the need to upgrade from the standard halfmoon set up

1 hour ago, Polar Bear said:

I'm not sold on this

I think its just innovation for innovations sake

There is more to Smoke Flavor and Penetration than just deflector design, so while i'm sure this will work just fine, I dont see the need to upgrade from the standard halfmoon set up

I don't think the advantages of the SLoROLLER are really so much about smoke flavor and 'penetration.'  I know they talk about that in the video and docs but smoke rings haven nothing to to with smoke flavor.  We all know that by now.  

After a few cooks myself with this new setup, I can see significant improvement in the area of convection/air movement inside the grill.  Most noticeably on the two chickens I have cooked on it recently.  These chickens were both far more evenly cooked and had better crisping of the skin than any past chicken cooks I have done.  I was so impressed with the first results that I did it again to make sure it wasn't a fluke.  I made video of the one I did today that I'll publish via Kamado Joe on Friday.