John Setzler

The Kamado Joe SLoROLLER

8 hours ago, shuley said:

Can you please provide a link? 

My comment wasn’t intended to be completely serious but there’s an element of truth there.  The fan-generated air movement is obvious because the smoke exits differently when the fan is blowing.  Sometimes it pulses and the Kamado Joe puffs like smoke signals.

I use a Rocks’ Stoker but it’s manufacturer discontinued.  There are several newer models available–

• CyberQ
  • iKAMAND
  • BBQube TempMaster Pro
  • FireBoard
  • Flame Boss

There are probably others.  These are the ones that I immediately recall.

I don't use the stoker because I think temperature control is super important relative to BBQ food quality.  I use it to control temperatures so I have a better idea of when the cook will be done, which makes it easier to schedule dinner and ensure that the side dishes are done simultaneously.  I never thought much about convection/air movement in a kamado until Kamado Joe introduced the SLōROLLER.

4 hours ago, freddyjbbq said:

I get pop ups and ads, never used to up until about a year ago

Is this on your iPhone and says "you won a contest!" or similar? Or seemingly tied to Amazon?  If so it's a problem throughout the Apple iPhone world and not tied to Kamado Guru.

The short term answer is to close Safari, put the phone in Airplane mode and clear the browser cache and cookies.

Long term is hunt down these con men and send them to Siberia in their pajamas.  

https://macsecurity.net/view/254-congratulations-you-won-popup-virus

3 hours ago, LargeRedJoe said:

Is this on your iPhone and says "you won a contest!" or similar? Or seemingly tied to Amazon?  If so it's a problem throughout the Apple iPhone world and not tied to Kamado Guru.

The short term answer is to close Safari, put the phone in Airplane mode and clear the browser cache and cookies.

Long term is hunt down these con men and send them to Siberia in their pajamas.  

https://macsecurity.net/view/254-congratulations-you-won-popup-virus

thank you LRJ, lol on Siberia in jammies, its on my apple macbook air using google chrome but prob still same situation.

On 4/17/2019 at 8:18 PM, John Setzler said:

After a few cooks myself with this new setup, I can see significant improvement in the area of convection/air movement inside the grill.  Most noticeably on the two chickens I have cooked on it recently.  These chickens were both far more evenly cooked and had better crisping of the skin than any past chicken cooks I have done.  I was so impressed with the first results that I did it again to make sure it wasn't a fluke.  I made video of the one I did today that I'll publish via Kamado Joe on Friday.  

I noticed that in the video, "Kamado Joe SLoROLLER Roasted Chicken" that you placed a small chunk of cherry on top of the Sloroller to produce smoke.  The grill was at 425-450 degrees.  Would this also work at lower temps like in your video "Kamado Joe Smoked Salmon" where the grill temps are around 160 to 170 degrees?  Does it still produce enough smoke for the salmon?   Or is it better to put the wood chunk in the firebox?

8 hours ago, JABF99 said:

I noticed that in the video, "Kamado Joe SLoROLLER Roasted Chicken" that you placed a small chunk of cherry on top of the Sloroller to produce smoke.  The grill was at 425-450 degrees.  Would this also work at lower temps like in your video "Kamado Joe Smoked Salmon" where the grill temps are around 160 to 170 degrees?  Does it still produce enough smoke for the salmon?   Or is it better to put the wood chunk in the firebox?

The sloroller would not get hot enough to smoke the wood at that temp range.

On 4/17/2019 at 9:18 PM, John Setzler said:

I don't think the advantages of the SLoROLLER are really so much about smoke flavor and 'penetration.'  I know they talk about that in the video and docs but smoke rings haven nothing to to with smoke flavor.  We all know that by now.  

After a few cooks myself with this new setup, I can see significant improvement in the area of convection/air movement inside the grill.  Most noticeably on the two chickens I have cooked on it recently.  These chickens were both far more evenly cooked and had better crisping of the skin than any past chicken cooks I have done.  I was so impressed with the first results that I did it again to make sure it wasn't a fluke.  I made video of the one I did today that I'll publish via Kamado Joe on Friday.  

pretty cool design  and engineering & great videos.