Nope not tonight but coming soon. This is my new paella setup. A 13" double gauge, steel paella pan and some goodies. I've never made paella before so I figured it was about time to try. I have a lot going on so it might not be for a couple of weeks but coming soon. 

paellasetup.thumb.jpg.b77e512a35bf1630aa15535952a71781.jpg

does traditional paella have scrimps in it?

my lovely is deathly allergic to shellfish (as in anaphylaxis) so i was thinking of subbing chicken and/or sausage in place of the scrimp...

would that me more jambalaya than paella?

guess it doesnt really matter as long as she likes it

30 minutes ago, TexasBlues said:

my lovely is deathly allergic to shellfish (as in anaphylaxis) so i was thinking of subbing chicken and/or sausage in place of the scrimp...

I'm really not the one to answer this question. There are many different recipes/versions you could make. It generally comes down to how the rice is cooked which makes it a paella regardless of the supporting ingredients. Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge can properly answer the question. 

2 hours ago, TexasBlues said:

Paella does not have have shrimp in it.  Ckreef is right that it's mostly about the rice.  I'm pretty sure the most "authentic" paella is with rabbit and snails.  The paellas I've made have had shrimp, but I know it's easy to find versions without.  

On 4/12/2019 at 11:29 AM, TexasBlues said:

Paella is a rustic spannish dish there are so many variations on it you can use what you fancy in it its a dish that's about the pan on the table and everyone digging in. 

P. S. It's named after the pan so as long as it has rice cooked in a paella pan its a paella. 

The basics for paella, as I understand it, are the pan, rice, sofritto, and broth. From
there on it’s pretty much open to your taste and ingredient availability.

Originally, people added what they had available in their region at the time in which
included rabbit and snail for protein. Other regions of Spain used prawns, mussels
and peppers. As paella became more wide spread, people began to substitute and add
things like chicken, sausage, pork, ham, seafood including shrimp, clams, lobster
and various fish.

In his book, “La Paella: Deliciously Authentic Rice Dishes by Jeff Koehler” , the author
lists recipes for all seafood, all meat, all vegetable and mixed meat and seafood
paellas. There is even one recipe for an all mushroom paella.There are other books
on paella available and a ton of YouTube videos also.

One thing I’ve observed is that many recipes use amounts of ingredients for a 15 or 16 inch
paella pan which is sufficient for about 4 to 6 servings. If cooking for a larger or smaller group,
it means a larger or smaller pan is required and the amounts of ingredients must be
scaled up or down.