Sign in to follow this  
Yankee Bill

New (again) Guy .. finally pulled the trigger!

Hi all,

I was here about 2 yrs. ago contemplating the purchase of an Akork Cart model #6520 from HD. Well, long story short, life simply got in the way and I had more pressing things to tend to so I just put it off. Anyhow, I recently got the bug again and when I checked all local stores none of the HD's had any in store. Said the store inventory was all discounted last year and only available online now (around here anyway). And they bumped price up to $328 fropm $299 last yr.

I was able to find a good deal on one on FB Marketplace, NIB unopened for $175. Had to make a bit of a road trip to get it, so I've got about $215 in it including gas $, so I'm quite happy with the price. Seller bought it at auction for resale so I won't be able to register it for warrantee purposes without a proper receipt. But everything seems good out of the box and I figure if I have to buy a part or 2 down the road I'll still be good given what I paid for grill.

I hadn't been keeping up with the forums much in the last 1.5 yrs. or so, and was pretty disapointed to find that the warming rack is no longer included with the Akorn, and is now considered an accessory, but it's only about $15 so no biggie. I got it put together today but still need to season it and spend a day playing with temp control, etc.

Still need to get a cover (just put a tarp over it for now til I order one), also a smokin' stone, warming rack and am contemplating the adjustable Fire Grate as well (but not sure as I already have a Weber charcoal Grate from my performer that I can use for high heat searing for now if I want).  

Here's a couple of quick pics I took.    

I'm excited to get into commission!

YB

IMG_2262.JPG

IMG_2264.JPG

Congratulations! I was in the same boat. Passed on a pre built one at my local Home Depot for $175 on close out. Thought I would pick one up later and never did. Just ordered the same one for the same amount as you. But mine did come with the warming rack. 

Ive just grilled some steaks and burgers on it so far. Everything has come out really good. A lot better than my old gas grill. Just have to learn how to control the temps a little better. Enjoy!

Appreciate the comments folks.

Our weather forcast is showing rain on and off through Monday, so not sure when I'll get to play with her as I don't have a covered area to grill under :angry: :banghead: .

YB

1 hour ago, Golf Griller said:

Welcome back. The rain should not affect your grill. I've grilled in rain and snow. Don't worry about getting wet, or use an umbrella to keep yourself dry.

Thanks GG.

I was contemplating it, but thought I reacalled reading somewhere that water could enter the Ashpan area on the Akorns if left uncovered, but I may be mistaken.   

Welcome to the forum.  Bought mine several years ago at The Home Depot.  I am located in a high humidity area in addition to cooking both high temps and low.  I opted to purchase a stainless steel grate on Amazon.  The warming rack is available from CharGriller for around $15 + shipping/tax.

2 hours ago, tippr01 said:

Welcome to the forum.  Bought mine several years ago at The Home Depot.  I am located in a high humidity area in addition to cooking both high temps and low.  I opted to purchase a stainless steel grate on Amazon.  The warming rack is available from CharGriller for around $15 + shipping/tax.

Hi tippr01, and thanks for the welcome and info. Yes, I have a warming rack on the way from CG. 

On 4/12/2019 at 9:33 PM, Yankee Bill said:

Thanks GG.

I was contemplating it, but thought I reacalled reading somewhere that water could enter the Ashpan area on the Akorns if left uncovered, but I may be mistaken.   

Water can and will enter the ash pan but don't let that stop you from grilling due to the weather. It's a minimal amount of water in most cases and will evaporate if it enters while you're cooking. If by chance it is raining when you're done cooking close her up until you know the coals are extinguished and remove the ash pan, check for water.

The ash pan leak isn't as big of a deal as some make out to be. My akorn will be 6 years old this July and I don't cover it nearly as often as I should. It gets rained on, snowed on, etc and has minimal rust on the inside of the ash pan, only where the seal meets the pan. Most of my rust is on the bottom shelf/support which can be fixed with a little Rust-Oleum.