malcolmwa

Fire takes toooooo long to die

My Akorn has all gaskets sealed, including the bottom vent. It also has a Tip Top Temp.  After grilling with lump the fire takes hours to die down.  I make sure the TTT is shut as well as the bottom vent.  There does not appear to be any smoke leaking and I can easily hold a 200-225 temp for hours.  Any idea how to make the fire die quickly so I can save some lump and get the cover on this damp weather?  Thanks!

I don’t have an akorn, but kamados in general take a long time to cool due to insulation or thermal mass.  

Are you sure your fire fire is still going after 60 min?  The akorn has excellent insulation. 

There are two possibilities:

1. The fire is not going out quickly.

2. The fire does go out quickly, but the Akorn is losing heat slowly.

To determine which, open the cover after a while and see if there’s still a glow to your coals!  The Akorn is insulated, so it loses heat slowly compared to a ceramic Kamado.  This is great for efficiency, but also makes it difficult to dial back if you overshoot temperature. 

My bottom vent leaked. The only way to kill a fire in my Akorn was to close the top vent. If the TTT prevents that, you may need to remove it. 

Frank

My Keg can take many hours to cool down enough to put the cover back on.

Yes, make sure ALL vents are closed...not just the TTT.

When not using my accessories (expansion rack, stones, etc),  I'll close the lid for a while to snuff the fire out, then a while later I'll open the lid (let some ambient heat out) and put all the accessories back in which drops the temp) and then every 15 minutes or so I'll go open the lid momentarily to cool things...

Get a big rock or brick and place it in if you want...that will help quickly.

Other than that....just takes a while.   

When i had my Akorn I used a TTT but mounted it on top of the stock vent and never had a problem snuffing the fire out. If yours is taking that long to go out you have air leaking in somewhere.

I cooked a ham Sunday and left the grill temperature probe running to see how long my Classic II took to cool down .

Here is the shorten version of the temps 

Time Temp

9:08 471

10:00 313.7

11:00 251.3

12:00 207.2

13:00 174.1

14:00 154

16:00 122.6

16:24 114.9

On 4/12/2019 at 11:06 AM, malcolmwa said:

I'll try fewer lumps

That is absolutely NEVER the solution. Too much lump is NEVER the problem. 

The amount of lump doesn't matter for shut down. If it's not shutting down properly you have an air leak.