keeperovdeflame

Franklin's new book "Franklin Steak"

23 hours ago, bbqd said:

Thanks. You saved me from purchasing this book. I've tried standard and reverse sear on thick steaks, like a tomahawk ribeye. I don't see how you can not appreciate the difference. Also, my BEST steaks have come off my kamado joe. 

Well the guy you are taking your advice from clearly hasn't actually looked at this book. In that section he gives the reverse sear just as much attention as other methods. After reading some of the feedback here and other places it seems like his steak book should have been about how reverse searing on a kamado is the one true way to cook a steak. 

7 hours ago, DrunkenMeatFist said:

After reading some of the feedback here and other places it seems like his steak book should have been about how reverse searing on a kamado is the one true way to cook a steak

Tastes vary.  I imagine that a lot of members here have tried cooking steak various ways and have settled on a favorite.  It's likely to be evenly distributed between searing first or last.

Chef Jamie Purviance and Meathead teamed up on a youtube video here.  They did a reverse sear and a sear first steak and compared them.

• Sear first looked better
  • Sear first had a richer tasting Malliard reaction surface (crust)
  • Reverse sear Malliard browning wasn't as firm (crust)
  • Reverse sear seemed more tender because of the less-firm crust
  • Reverse sear had a richer, more buttery flavor (probably retained more inter-tissue fat)

I prefer sear first.

Edited by pmillen

47 minutes ago, pmillen said:

Tastes vary.  I imagine that a lot of members here have tried cooking steak various ways and have settled on a favorite.

I just think it is funny that some people automatically reject the entire book when someone who hasn't seen the book says that the author doesn't subscribe to their preferred theory on a subject. It is especially goofy in this case because a chart on the inside cover of this book recommends the reverse sear in more than one scenario of steak cooking.Then again, the book covers way more than how to cook a steak and of course it covers different cuts and thicknesses which would necessitate different cooking methods altogether. 

Interesting that it’s already at CostCo. I thought it was released recently. Mind me asking how much it ran there? Regardless of what Mr. Franklin says about Kamado’s, I’m interested in picking it up. 

6 minutes ago, DEW said:

Interesting that it’s already at CostCo. I thought it was released recently. Mind me asking how much it ran there? Regardless of what Mr. Franklin says about Kamado’s, I’m interested in picking it up. 

I picked mine up at Barnes & Noble. I chose to buy online and pick up in store which dropped the price from $29.99 to $20.99. 

On 4/12/2019 at 8:24 PM, King19 said:

I wish I was kin to those Kings

Funny bc that picture is from Franklin's bbq show when he went to the meat science department at ATM

my dad, one brother, and I are all AGs in one way or the other... they went to school in College Station, I went to the Amarillo campus

Damn its good to be an AGGIE

17 hours ago, DEW said:

I can't remember exactly how much it was, I am thinking somewhere around $20.

19 hours ago, DrunkenMeatFist said:

I just think it is funny that some people automatically reject the entire book when someone who hasn't seen the book says that the author doesn't subscribe to their preferred theory on a subject. It is especially goofy in this case because a chart on the inside cover of this book recommends the reverse sear in more than one scenario of steak cooking.Then again, the book covers way more than how to cook a steak and of course it covers different cuts and thicknesses which would necessitate different cooking methods altogether. 

I think it's funny a guy comes on a board for kamado cooking and judges people for their preferred method of cooking

Dude is selling his own line of smokers and has a huge waiting list 

He ain't gonna promote Kamados

That's it

Enjoy the book 

33 minutes ago, King19 said:

I think it's funny a guy comes on a board for kamado cooking and judges people for their preferred method of cooking

Dude is selling his own line of smokers and has a huge waiting list 

He ain't gonna promote Kamados

That's it

Enjoy the book 

So in addition to not reading the book, you also did read the OP where it says that he was very complimentary towards kamados? I also don't know where I judged anyone for cooking on a kamado especially since I cook on one all the time. I disagree that his statement in the book on steak really has much to do with the smoker he is coming out with. Now if there was a special edition Franklin PK Grill it would be a different story. 

1 hour ago, DrunkenMeatFist said:

So in addition to not reading the book, you also did read the OP where it says that he was very complimentary towards kamados? I also don't know where I judged anyone for cooking on a kamado especially since I cook on one all the time. I disagree that his statement in the book on steak really has much to do with the smoker he is coming out with. Now if there was a special edition Franklin PK Grill it would be a different story. 

25 minutes ago, King19 said:

Must be nice to know everything 

You must be the belle of the ball

Ok fella's, lets keep it positive and focused on cooking.

I bought his first book and was thoroughly entertained, but it's not like I really learned anything mind blowing. For brisket I learned more (specifically trimming) from his youtube videos. 

Not sure why you need a book on grilling steak? It's one of the easiest things to throw on a grill and get right. Sear first or reverse. Kamado or kettle. Either approach or vessel works great.

Knowing how to pick a quality cut might take some knowledge, but even that information is readily available on the interwebz.