20190412_104501.jpg

20190412_105619.jpg

20190412_105627.jpg

20190412_120751.jpg

20190412_120845.jpg

20190412_120914.jpg

#KamadoJoe

#SLoROLLER

Today was my second cook on the new Kamado Joe Classic 3.  The SLoROLLER insert has me intrigued to the point where I thought I might as well go ahead and test it on what I thought might be its toughest challenge.  Whole chickens are easy to cook on a kamado but as we all know, the moisture retention capabilities of a kamado can make it challenging to get the skin results we like.  Improved convection might help that out so I thought I'd give it a try.  

This is a very simple cook.  One 4lb "Greenwise" chicken from Publix (the ones that are air dried), trussed, a light smearing of olive oil, and a dusting with my all purpose seasoning.   I cooked at 450°F until I hit 150ish at the bone in the deep part of the breast.  I pulled it off, tented it in foil and let it rest for 30 minutes before I broke it down and pulled all the meat off the bones (I'm gonna make chicken salad with it.)  (FWIW, I got 1lb 12oz of meat from a 4lb 2oz chicken) .  

This chicken exibited two BESTS for me right away.   This thing cooked more evenly than any I have ever done and the skin crisped up everywhere.  It crisped up more than in my past experience.  From my first test run on a cook like this, I want to believe that we have improved convection inside the grill.  I am going to do this cook again this coming week and see if the results match up.  

When I cook a whole chicken in the kamado normally, I will rotate the chicken 180 degrees half way through the cook to help promote more even results.  CHICKEN is the ONLY thing I cook in a kamado where I have been compelled to do that for some reason.  I guess it's just about the appearance.  This one didn't get any rotation.  I just centered it up above the SLoROLLER and let it fly.  

3 minutes ago, Stile 88 said:

Thats awesome John cant argue with those results looks delicious

@John Setzler  what exactly is the SLoROLLER is it just a deflector ???

it is not.  It's a new insert.  There is a video posted here in this section of the site that gives you a brief overview of it and the folks who designed it........

5 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

it is not.  It's a new insert.  There is a video posted here in this section of the site that gives you a brief overview of it and the folks who designed it........

I see now that is pretty cool i bet when you do a second cook you will get same results love how kj keeps innovating

I have read this is compatible with the classic and 2 - however how close would it be to the grill grate in the top position of those since the are not raised like the 3.  And will it work with a KAB, or will I have to search my garage for original grate?  Thanks

5 minutes ago, grill seeker said:

I have read this is compatible with the classic and 2 - however how close would it be to the grill grate in the top position of those since the are not raised like the 3.  And will it work with a KAB, or will I have to search my garage for original grate?  Thanks

I don't know all the answers to this yet.  What I do know:

The SLoROLLER that I have that came with the Classic 3 will not fit in the Classic 2.  I assume, by the same token, that it won't fit in the original classic either.  Kamado Joe has said that they will have them available as add-ons for those older models but I am assuming it will be a different part than this one.  

It does work with the Kick Ash Basket.  The SLoROLLER sits right on the fire ring where the D/C rack sits.  The D/C rack then sits in the notches on the SLoROLLER.    When I tried to put this in my Classic 2, I could not get the dome lid to close with the Classic 2 d/c rack sitting on the SLoROLLER.

On 4/12/2019 at 2:57 PM, grill seeker said:

Update...

it should fit just fine.  Mine does not fit for a different reason that i have not quite figured out yet.

8 hours ago, John Setzler said:

What do you mean?

I mean the chicken looks fantastic, and I wonder if there are plans to release one that would fit a BJ 2.

John any plans to try the SLoROLLER in the Joe 2 to let us know if we can achieve the same results? I know on the website they say it will fit but it's specifically made for the 3 and the results may vary. You have the means, help us out. :)

On 4/12/2019 at 1:21 PM, John Setzler said:

Please point me to it, John.  I found this post but it's just one post and no replies.