Sign in to follow this  
Chris_DFW_Griller

Can any1 tell me why I can't put a Kick Ash on top of the Vision Fire Grill/Electric Starter Pocket?

Also Can I just use the BGE Large basket and set it on top of the assembly? I want the BGE Large because it has the divider accessory for dividing coals to one side of grill.

Here is a pick of the fire grate and electric starter pocket assembly:

electric-starter-pocket__15805.1536767861.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on&imbypass=on

I do not understand why I cannot simply set a Kick Ash on top of this. And I do not want to remove the electric starter pocket. It might wobble a bit but that should not matter. How will the above effect grill performance?

On 4/13/2019 at 1:43 PM, John Setzler said:

You get that advantage with the bottom piece removed, right?

Correct. But I lose the ability to use the electric charcoal starter port specific to the Vision grill. Because that piece is also connected fire grate. So by removing the OEM grate I no longer can use the electric charcoal starter port. 

But as Stile mentioned, simply placing the Kick Ash on top of the OEM grate will result in poor airflow. I think I will just bite the bullet and start the charcoal some other way.

2 minutes ago, Chris_DFW_Griller said:

Correct. But I lose the ability to use the electric charcoal starter port specific to the Vision grill. Because that piece is also connected fire grate. So by removing the OEM grate I no longer can use the electric charcoal starter port. 

But as Stile mentioned, simply placing the Kick Ash on top of the OEM grate will result in poor airflow. I think I will just bite the bullet and start the charcoal some other way.

I start my grill two ways, neither of which includes an electric starter, evne though I do have one of those.  I use the simple fire starter cubes sometimes but I prefer my bernzomatic propane torch.  I give it a 30 second shot in one to three places depending on what I'm doing and it's done.  

https://smile.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-BZ8250HT-Trigger-Start-Hose-Torch/dp/B001OLVPOY/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=bernzomatic+torch&qid=1555451784&s=gateway&sr=8-4

I bought this and the blue propane tanks are cheap and last a REALLY LONG TIME.

4 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

I start my grill two ways, neither of which includes an electric starter, evne though I do have one of those.  I use the simple fire starter cubes sometimes but I prefer my bernzomatic propane torch.  I give it a 30 second shot in one to three places depending on what I'm doing and it's done.  

https://smile.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-BZ8250HT-Trigger-Start-Hose-Torch/dp/B001OLVPOY/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=bernzomatic+torch&qid=1555451784&s=gateway&sr=8-4

I bought this and the blue propane tanks are cheap and last a REALLY LONG TIME.

John I am with you, I bought something very similar:::

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B076HSB7MM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the help.

I use a cheap heat gun from Harbor Freight. Watch for coupons in the mail or sign up online and they will email flyers. I think I paid $8.97 for the last one and it has lasted a couple years now.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-watt-dual-temperature-heat-gun-5721112-62340.html