Shenkbri

First cook on the Slow n Sear Kamado

As I’ve been using a slow n sear in my kettles for about four years and know what to expect from it, I’ve decided to do my first few cooks in the new grill in a traditional set up. 

I cooked two racks of spare ribs at 225 with a water pan under the heat deflector. This provides some serious steam. The ribs cooked for 6.5 hours. I rubbed one rack with Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom and the other rack with Meathead’s Memphis Dust. I also employed a mustard based bbq sauce on one of the racks. 

Temps were very stable for the entire cook. And the ribs...were delicious

A722BF56-6982-4AB7-9831-396B6F89485A.jpeg

A359415A-A104-499E-8AAA-81D50B6BCA4D.jpeg

E292FB4A-D052-4997-B77A-0CA5A107EB2B.jpeg

3 hours ago, Shenkbri said:

As I’ve been using a slow n sear in my kettles for about four years and know what to expect from it, I’ve decided to do my first few cooks in the new grill in a traditional set up. 

I cooked two racks of spare ribs at 225 with a water pan under the heat deflector. This provides some serious steam. The ribs cooked for 6.5 hours. I rubbed one rack with Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom and the other rack with Meathead’s Memphis Dust. I also employed a mustard based bbq sauce on one of the racks. 

Temps were very stable for the entire cook. And the ribs...were delicious

A722BF56-6982-4AB7-9831-396B6F89485A.jpeg

A359415A-A104-499E-8AAA-81D50B6BCA4D.jpeg

E292FB4A-D052-4997-B77A-0CA5A107EB2B.jpeg

How do you like this Kamado? 

34 minutes ago, Marbque said:

How do you like this Kamado? 

I’ve only done one cook it it so far. But the inaugural run was fantastic. 

It’s a great value, it’s 22 inches and comes with ALOT of accessories. 

I will post more cooks in the coming days and continue to comment on its performance 

With a water pan under the deflector I can imagine lots of steam would be produced. I have never tried this. Forgive me if this a stupid question, but what does the steam do for the cook? Retain moisture in the meat?

On 4/14/2019 at 1:27 PM, prowe said:

With a water pan under the deflector I can imagine lots of steam would be produced. I have never tried this. Forgive me if this a stupid question, but what does the steam do for the cook? Retain moisture in the meat?

The steam helps with smoke adhesion. Smoke sticks to moist surfaces. 

Read this excellent article for more details. 

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/mythbusting-smoke-ring-no-smoke-necessary

On 4/15/2019 at 11:36 AM, Stile 88 said:

In your kettle have you noticed any warpage on the slow and sear because of the high heat

In the original slow n sear I did have slight warpage in the water trough. It didn’t effect the performance at all. 

In the slow n sear 2.0 ( the version that comes with the kamado) I have experienced no warpage after a year of hard use. I cook 4-5 times a week year round. 

I’m no engineer, so I may be wrong about the why but I believe it’s because the water trough in this version is removable and not actually part of the unit. 

On 4/16/2019 at 6:56 PM, Shenkbri said:

The steam helps with smoke adhesion. Smoke sticks to moist surfaces. 

Read this excellent article for more details. 

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/mythbusting-smoke-ring-no-smoke-necessary

I dont know about that to me its just cooking with steam

1 hour ago, Stile 88 said:

I dont know about that to me its just cooking with steam

Did you read the article? Dr. Blonder arrived at this conclusion after performing experiments. #science

when I cook with a water pan, the smoke ring is much more pronounced than when I cook without one 

On 4/20/2019 at 2:45 PM, Shenkbri said:

Did you read the article? Dr. Blonder arrived at this conclusion after performing experiments. #science

when I cook with a water pan, the smoke ring is much more pronounced than when I cook without one 

When i cook in my kk i dont have need for any water or water pan and yes i read the article