So, things are slowly coming in the mail for the Vision Kamado, which is arriving tomorrow. I have my lava stone, my electric starter, coal, wood, and overall excitement. Lol

Now I am looking at purchasing the kick ash basket for the vision. I spoke with Chad, and I see that I couldn’t use the electric starter if I decided to use the basket, which I think is a great invention, personally; however, I’ve not tried it. 

So, with that being said, I am curious, what is your lighting method?  

Charcoal chimney?

cotton balls threw in?

torch? 

lighting sticks?

Chad suggested I use the basket with a JJ GEORGE GRILL TORCH for lighting. I am curious,

is there any chance in a torch damaging a Kamado?

looking forward to all of your responses,

thanks agin,

Joseph

I use a couple of lighter sticks.  Since I got the KAB it is much easier as I just add them to the ash tray, light and push in.  

If I am smoking (low heat) I just put one in the center of coal and let it burn for about 10 minutes wide open then start closing off bottom vent and top.

I always use alcohol soaked cotton balls with my basket.  The hotter the fire I want, the more cotton balls I use.

If you haven't used them before, be aware that alcohol fire is invisible so it's easy to think they aren't lit.

I'm rarely in a hurry so I usually use Kamado Joe starters but recently ran out and picked up Weber starters. I also sometimes use cotton balls with alcohol (91%, my wife last bought 74% or so and that's not effective). The hotter I want the fire, the more places I light.

Why isn't the electric starter compatible with the basket?

17 minutes ago, SeaBrisket said:

I'm rarely in a hurry so I usually use Kamado Joe starters but recently ran out and picked up Weber starters. I also sometimes use cotton balls with alcohol (91%, my wife last bought 74% or so and that's not effective). The hotter I want the fire, the more places I light.

Why isn't the electric starter compatible with the basket?

Evidently where you slide the electric starter in the slot there isn’t enough clearance to pass the electric starter into the basket. I’m guessing anyway. I really wish this wasn’t the case. Can anyone else comment as to if this is the reasoning?

Edited by bushcraft_joe
Clarification

2 minutes ago, bushcraft_joe said:

Evidently where you slide the electric starter in the slot there isn’t enough clearance to pass the electric starter into the basket. I’m guessing anyway. I really wish this wasn’t the case. Can anyone else comment as to if this is the reasoning?

I haven't used an electric starter but can't you just sit it on top of the charcoal?

2 minutes ago, SeaBrisket said:

I haven't used an electric starter but can't you just sit it on top of the charcoal?

This is something I considered. But, I’ve never used an electric starter myself. Lol. I’ve always started my coals in a chimney, lighting my kindling using a ferro rod and steel; or digging hot coals from a fire pit.  So, a lot of new avenues here for me. 

12 hours ago, SeaBrisket said:

I'm rarely in a hurry so I usually use Kamado Joe starters but recently ran out and picked up Weber starters.

When I first purchased my KJC, I got a box of the KJ starters. When I was getting low on them I ordered starters that are the same, but less expensive on Amazon. I cut them in half and use two halves in separate places for most of my cooks. If I am doing a low and slow, I use one half in the middle of the charcoal.

On 4/13/2019 at 8:56 PM, bushcraft_joe said:

This is something I considered. But, I’ve never used an electric starter myself. Lol. I’ve always started my coals in a chimney, lighting my kindling using a ferro rod and steel; or digging hot coals from a fire pit.  So, a lot of new avenues here for me. 

I have a Vision Classic B with a Kick Ash basket, and use an electric starter all the time. Just work it down into the charcoal and turn it on. You can determine where the fire starts by your placement of the electric starter. For example, if I'm doing a two zone cook I'll put the starter down in the charcoal on the direct side of the basket, leaving the charcoal under the half moon diverter unlit. I like the electric starter because it's probably the most inexpensive way to start your coals, and very easy. Just be sure you have a safe place to put it when you pull it out.