TexasBlues

Primo Cooked Pizza

Howdy All!

After reading all the great posts on pizza, I decided to make one of my own...

My lovely is always open to things cooked on the grill and this was no exception...

I started with a store (Publix) bought crust and a recipe for a white pizza (lovely's fave)

as always, when doing a recipe for the first time, I follow the recipe

couple things I would change is the amount of ricotta on the pizza... 2 cups is too much, I would cut it to 1.5c

I would add more spices to the ricotta mix (base) as it was kinda bland...

I would also add larger lumps to my KAB as it struggled to get to 510* without running the lid like a locomotive (no daisy wheel /controller)

the crust was fair... but missing 'something'... just what I don't know

I had to rotate the pie after 12 mins as one side was finishing faster, which I think may have been the lump and the difference in grates (one is for the XL300 and the other is for my model, XL400). There is a slight height difference and the surface area is smaller on the 300 extender... not enough to warrant replacing it with the 400 rack

my set up was bottom up as follows:

standard grate, extenders, diffusers, stone

my stone is a regular run of the mill import and it worked fine... the absence of a peel (rectified after the cook) meant I had to cook on parchment, and make the transfer using 4 hands and a glass cutting board (thanks, love!)

total cook time was about 18 mins

IMG_1343.thumb.jpg.026b2842f0171383e47458ab4a7b628f.jpgIMG_1344.thumb.JPG.e36f4119a195c81516fded00417758b9.JPGIMG_1346.thumb.JPG.e36e0310ebb297c394fffa32fe04f09a.JPGIMG_1347.thumb.PNG.5e863847b85c66e75d67547992ab46fe.PNGIMG_1348.thumb.jpg.32950cbc405da77b393025ee57fd2b09.jpgIMG_1349.thumb.jpg.8b1996ee0ad560b1993831ad30f9df1a.jpg

16 hours ago, ckreef said:

Not a bad looking pizza. Looked a little over cooked but I'm guessing 510* was a bit high for the Publix dough. 

Thanks @ckreef

absolutely it was too high... I was going off of what i thought people were using on KA doughs...

but you gotta have a baseline... i'm thinking 450* next time around

1 hour ago, TexasBlues said:

Thanks @ckreef

absolutely it was too high... I was going off of what i thought people were using on KA doughs...

but you gotta have a baseline... i'm thinking 450* next time around

General rule of thumb is to cook pizza at whatever temperature is recommended for the dough/recipe. Not all doughs work at higher temperatures. Most doughs especially store bought are formulated for cooking in a home oven. Most Ovens can barely get to 500* unless you have a really high end oven. This weekend I tried to stretch that rule of thumb and the bottom was burnt - sometimes I should probably listen to my own advice - LOL 

450* is probably a more reasonable temp.

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

General rule of thumb is to cook pizza at whatever temperature is recommended for the dough/recipe. Not all doughs work at higher temperatures. Most doughs especially store bought are formulated for cooking in a home oven. Most Ovens can barely get to 500* unless you have a really high end oven. This weekend I tried to stretch that rule of thumb and the bottom was burnt - sometimes I should probably listen to my own advice - LOL 

450* is probably a more reasonable temp.

@ckreef-

I didnt know that temps were dough dependent... thats an interesting fact

what drives the temp range... the amount of moisture in the dough?

if that is the case then i would assume that a 'dryer' dough would result in a quicker cook time and a cracker type crust?

i DO like a snappy crispy crust

51 minutes ago, TexasBlues said:

@ckreef-

I didnt know that temps were dough dependent... thats an interesting fact

what drives the temp range... the amount of moisture in the dough?

if that is the case then i would assume that a 'dryer' dough would result in a quicker cook time and a cracker type crust?

i DO like a snappy crispy crust

36 minutes ago, Scott Roberts said:

My guess would be the sugar and oil in dough that drives what temp you ride on-pun intended:-D

Scott

Hydration, oil, sugar, and to a lesser degree the type of flour all contribute to the optimum temperature for a given dough. 

Unless you like experimenting with some failures along the way stick to published temperatures for a given dough/recipe. Best part about pizza experimenting is even most failures still taste reasonably good. 

If you're ever bored check out this thread of mine from a ways back. Total pizza experimenting thread. Mostly successful cooks but there are some failures along the way. First couple of pages is a little slow but then the pace picks up. 

2 hours ago, ckreef said:

Hydration, oil, sugar, and to a lesser degree the type of flour all contribute to the optimum temperature for a given dough. 

Unless you like experimenting with some failures along the way stick to published temperatures for a given dough/recipe. Best part about pizza experimenting is even most failures still taste reasonably good. 

If you're ever bored check out this thread of mine from a ways back. Total pizza experimenting thread. Mostly successful cooks but there are some failures along the way. First couple of pages is a little slow but then the pace picks up. 

@ckreef, thats a great read (slow at the office today)... i'm going to swipe some of the dough recipes and try one or two in the future... until then, I will use the Publix dough and maybe see if I can buy one from a local (chain) joint around the corner...

i think I need to raise the diffuser to allow for more upflow around it to the dome and lower the temp...

at least thats what I am telling myself...

if it comes out like 'dog food', that's OK, i have 4 dogs that will love me even more

thanks for the great info and links!

My Set-up with the Califlower pizza crust is:

Grates in top Position

Deflectors on top of Grates

3 wooden blocks on top of the Deflectors to set my metal wired pizza pan on .

I cooked them at 450 and have to spin them around to cook evenly .

I have all the ingredients to make the high temp just not the time yet for all the proofing .

16 minutes ago, WoodyT said:

My Set-up with the Califlower pizza crust is:

@WoodyT... I would like to try a cauliflower crust one day as well... do you have a recipe i may borrow?

while i LOVE bread, it's not very conducive to maintaining my Adonis like dad bod...

i cut cals where i can and feel better for it... previous injuries make carrying extra weight somewhat painful for me

20 minutes ago, TexasBlues said:

@WoodyT... I would like to try a cauliflower crust one day as well... do you have a recipe i may borrow?

I now just use the Caulipower Cauliflower Pizza Crust that I can pick up at local grocery store .

I have made a recipe before and it is just as labor intensive as making a real dough pizza .

https://detoxinista.com/the-secret-to-perfect-cauliflower-pizza-crust/

I love to Cook and Love to eat so it's battle ..