Elliott

Kamado Blaze cold weather

How well is the Blaze Kamado insulated. Does it perform well in cold weather? I would imagine this grill would loose some efficiency in cold weather???

On 4/14/2019 at 3:27 PM, Elliott said:

How well is the Blaze Kamado insulated. Does it perform well in cold weather? I would imagine this grill would loose some efficiency in cold weather???

I can't answer your question directly because I live in a warm weather climate.  To answer the question about insulation, take a look at the video below.  They filled it with charcoal and ran it at 250 degrees for 27 hours before it started to drop in temp.  They did not say what the outside temp was, but I still think it basically answers the insulation question, as any temperature outside is lower than 250 degrees.  :)

I've owned a blaze Kamado for about 2 and a half years now and have never had any issues with fuel efficiency.  My longest cook is probably about 15 hours or so, and I had plenty of charcoal left.

I'll also answer that my family has owned many PK grills over the decades, which are aluminum as well and not nearly as insulated as the Blaze.  And they operated perfectly fine in cold weather.  So while it might not be as efficient as a ceramic kamado if put side-by-side, just based on the basics of how each material operates, I see no reason to think it would make any difference in real world, day-to-day usage.

On 4/14/2019 at 1:27 PM, Elliott said:

Being well insulated is a bit of a loaded question perhaps.  Here's why...

I've got a Broil King Keg...probably the most well insulated kamado available....and I hate it only for that reason.  It is such a miser of fuel that it can be a problem sustaining low temperatures as once it gets up to temp there is so little burning required to maintain that it can easily go out.  Even when it stays at temp...since there is so little burning going on, there is NOT enough smoke being produced so it's smoke profile is weak.

So, ideally (IMO) you want a kamado that is only "kinda" efficient - a steady fuel burn is required on the food end of things.

I cook all winter here at -30 C and don't use much more fuel than in summer at +30 C.  I'd happily burn a bit more charcoal to get an efficiency profile closer to a ceramic.

Edit:  Should add, that I HOPE the aluminum Blaze performs similarly to the ceramics, but even if loses heat a bit faster, likely not too much of a concern.  I think cold weather cooking is hard to measure as the amount of heat loss I think would be somewhat linked to wind chill.

Thanks for the replies.  When I was looking at purchasing a kamado style grill I looked at the Blaze kamado grill. I was concerned about cold weather cooks(20f and below) and how much energy would be lost thru the shell.  I chose a KJ Classic II. My area can get bitterly cold with high winds. I just thought a ceramic Kamado would perform better in cold weather.

One thing that could be an advantage or a disadvantage you won't know until you try, but I believe the Blaze doesn't have a gasket between the lid and body?  Those of us with ceramic cookers that have the felt gasket can have trouble in the winter with condensation collecting in there and freezing the lid down. Even if I have it covered with the tarp, I haven't had it really stuck but I did have to borrow the hair dryer one day to get the lid open.  If there is no gasket it may break free easier, could be a cold weather advantage of the Blaze.