Elliott

My KJ Saga............

Well this is my first Kamado style grill purchase on 3/22/2019 (KJ Classic I). It has been eventful. I purchased this grill from a big box store(I will protect the name of the innocent). I opted to have the BBS(big box store) to assemble and delivery the grill. On the first delivery attempt the grill was lowered off of the truck fully assembled and while the one delivery person was attempting to push the grill up my driveway one of the wheels on the grill hit a divot in my driveway the grill tipped over and fell(fyi... Kamado grills roll pretty good if you get a good running start...lol). Causing major damage to the grill. It took both delivery men to lift the grill back into the nest and load it back on the truck.

The follow Saturday another grill was delivered to me by a different crew. Well this grill never made it off truck. I'm not sure what happen but the frame of the grill was twisted and bent and the bottom of the grill was chipped all along the bottom. Maybe the person who secured it inside the truck did not strap the grill correctly???? This grill was then loaded back on the truck and returned.

Well I immediately went up to the BBS store to express my frustration on their incompetence.  Well after a long discussion with the manager the BBS agreed to ship me a KJ Classic II for the price of the KJ Classic I. Since the KJ Classic II was a special order I have to wait another 2 weeks for delivery. I opted to assemble the grill myself. Hopefully the BBS can deliver just the skid the KJ Grill is shipped in. I've already cancelled 3 cooks with this grill. Sorry for the long post I just had to vent a little... lol 

With this kind of luck, I'd check the grill upon delivery for damage before you let the truck leave.  I pulled both of the tops off my crates at the store before the guy left with the fork lift just to inspect even though there was no obvious damage to the outside.  

5 minutes ago, BURGER MEISTER said:

With this kind of luck, I'd check the grill upon delivery for damage before you let the truck leave.  I pulled both of the tops off my crates at the store before the guy left with the fork lift just to inspect even though there was no obvious damage to the outside.  

I plan on doing this before the truck leaves.

I have a similar story - third time's the charm - albeit without the violence... my shattered one (#2) arrived that way. In my case, the problem wasn't the vendor, but the size; I had been ordering Classics when I needed a Big Joe. No regrets 11.5 months later. 

You won't need to open it up to see it's OK. KJ's packaging is damage-evident, so do inspect, and do have at least 2 other healthy adults around for assembly, 2 to lift it and 1 to move things like packaging during the lift. You've already been warned to move it gently!

Enjoy learning it and come back to tell us about what you've cooked!

Have fun,

Frank